How to keep interior light off when doors open

Michal740

My big concern while camping was always keeping side doors of my van closed to keep lights off for sake of battery life.
Finally I have the problem solved.
Back in the days I use to drive older Volvos,700 or 900 series that have a great feature built in their door light switches.
If you open the door on those cars,you can push and turn the button clockwise and it will stay in that position with lights turned off.
So I went to my local UPull and got couple of them for my van side door.
Installation is fairly easy.
Remove old switch with 14mm socket
Enlarge existing hole with step drill until you can insert volvo switch
Cut original wiring and install wire push connectors so you can slide wires onto new
switch. You have to remove one metal part of the volvo switch to prevent short. For some reason it kept popping #4 fuse...To temove that part,I used step drill. You can see what part I ment to be removed on the fourth picture. Once you drill it out,it will slide off the switch housing
Now you need to drill hole for the switch screw. Install the switch and check for function.
I hope this will help someone who wants to keep the interior lights off while camping.

Attachments

• 20180512_130434.jpg
    20180512_130434.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 20180512_130728.jpg
    20180512_130728.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
  • 20180512_131844.jpg
    20180512_131844.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 48
  • 20180512_135345.jpg
    20180512_135345.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 50
  • 20180512_135859.jpg
    20180512_135859.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50

s.e.charles

I agree about not having the interior lit (for more of a visual/ security standpoint), but don't most vehicles have a switch which either rheostats & then positive offs the light, or simply an off switch? maybe i'm too used to driving the posh brands.

Reactions: WVI

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I forgot that not every vehicle has the features of a Chevy. My Astro van has a master "Dome Override" switch which has the perfect operation: When the override is engaged, the dome lights come on for ~30s when the alarm/keyless entry fob is triggered, but ignore the state of the door switches. Very handy for van life when the slider door is open pretty much all the daylight hours, and we're in/out of the other doors all day. When I want regular "dome light" operation, I just press the override switch again.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I don't know what years this applies to, but there is supposedly a wire located on the b pillar that can be used to override the dome light. I've attached a document from an 03. It's on the third page. I've also attached a pic of the connector with the jumper wire. I believe you cut that wire and install a switch. I've been meaning to do it to mine since I work out of my van and the doors are sometimes left open all day and also I have long material that routinely sticks out the back, which if driving at night, sucks with the dome light on. However, I have tool shelves and a cargo divider that may need to be removed to access it, so that's why I haven't done it yet.
Dome Light override.png

Attachments

• Dome light over ride.pdf
    523.1 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: WVI

Gat

On my 2002 E250 cargo I have a switch mounted just behind the drivers door up near the ceiling. I tapped into the main switch line as shown above. This controls the light over the front seats and I pulled the bulb out of the rear light (over the back doors - I can't remember if the switch affected this light as well). Whenever I need light I can reach up over my left shoulder and flip the toggle and all is back to normal.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Very clever mod. My lights Time Out if the front/side doors are open, but not the rear doors. IDK why, but with the timer and LED bulbs I don't worry about it. I figured the timer was factory, maybe something Mark III hooked up? Maybe a timer on that disconnect in the B pillar?

Drizzt

Free Sarcasm Available
Interesting. My 2003 dome light has a switch that turns off the front and rear lights if needed, I thought that was common on the E-Series. But I like the idea of having a switch I can reach from outside.

Jeffer949

Observer
Very cool. Grew up racing motocross out of vans and we had a dead battery a time or 2. We eventually started pulling the fuse for the dome lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk

Members online