How to start a bikepacking trip?

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Where do you start, what are the essentials? etc etc. I have a goal this summer of doing my first multi day off road bike adventure. I want to do a trip on the Colorado Trail, nothing insane. I would like to start and end in a different place (Wife would pick me up) Having never done this I am a bit "'green" to say the least

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I'm sure others will chime in.....

Pick out your favorite backpacking gear, lay it all out and realize you can only take 1/4 of it...choose wisely. :sombrero:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Bikepacking is very near and dear to me, and I've logged quite a few Colorado Trail miles doing it. That is such a great bikepacking trail.

For starters, bike "touring" and bike "packing" are nothing alike. Bikepacking requires you select every item of kit very carefully. You cannot afford any excess weight at all. Excess weight has an undeniable correlation with your enjoyment once under way.

So, from a general bikepacker's point of view, there are a few basic givens: Racks are out. If you do use a rack, plan on only loading the top of the rack with a trunk. Panniers are out. Given even the most fit and gnarly bikepackers have to walk a good deal of any trail, pushing a bike around a set of panniers is simply not something you want to do. There are plenty of bikepackers who use panniers, but ultimately it's not the most ideal solution, and not by a long shot.

Trails like the Colorado Trail involve a multitude of climbs that are pretty massive, so I can't stress enough how minimizing weight is really important. I'd shoot for your total gear kit including water to not exceed 25 pounds. Where you put that weight is pretty standard as well. You will need to use your bars for 3-4 pounds of storage. A small pack with 4-7 pounds is unavoidable, but also really handy for water access with a hydration system. The rest will go in a seat bag, or atop a rear rack.

For the budget minded, the best bar bag I've seen is an OR dry bag: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52850 Seat bags are tricky. You almost have to commit to purchasing one of the bikepacking specific seat bags by Carousel Design Works or Revelate. Based on value, a rack and dry bag might be slightly cheaper than a proper seat bag.

The rest of your camping kit is up to you. Every bikepacker has their own idea of the perfect kit. One thing in common with all bikepackers is we're weight obsessed. For me, my only objective is to be as comfortable as possible with the minimum of weight.

My kit:

- Nemo GoGo LE bivy
- Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 down bag
- Thermarest NeoAir (small) sleeping pad
- Arc'teryx Axios 25 pack
- Optimus Crux stove
- GSI Minimalist cup/pot thingy
- Steripen water purifier / 1 liter Nalgene bottle

All of that is under 10 pounds with ease. Fold in some food, water and the bags to haul that stuff and it's around 20ish pounds. I don't really feel it. There's also an unfortunate correlation with low weight gear and big dollars, but there are plenty of ways to get light on the cheap.

My only last bit of advice is to test your kit before you go. Do a few rides with everything loaded up as you'll probably have to repack everything a few times to find the right packing system.

Good luck!

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Wow, thanks for the help. I need to go through my gear and see what I have and see what I need. Where do you find the frame triangle sacks? That is a great use of space!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Wow, thanks for the help. I need to go through my gear and see what I have and see what I need. Where do you find the frame triangle sacks? That is a great use of space!
Frame bags are really only sourced from two guys: Carousel Design Works in California and Revelate in Alaska. Both guys make really great products, but keep in mind these are custom made bags, so there's usually a few weeks involved with delivery. They're also frame specific, so not something you want to dive into if you think a new bike is in your near future. You can find partial bags from a variety of less sophisticated sources. Topeak and others make smaller frame wedge bags that don't consume the entire main triangle.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have specific questions about gear or bikepacking travel tips. The good news is, this is about taking as little as possible. So, it's not like vehicle based overlanding which tempts you into packing everything including two kitchen sinks. The bad news is, sometimes the uber light and comfy stuff gets a bit spendy.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I picked up a used Revelate Tangle frame bag a few months back off another forum and so far it's been great. I can use it on both my mountain and road bike to carry the extra small stuff but still have room for the water bottles. I was so impressed with the quality I went ahead and ordered one of his seat bags. I'm hoping it arrives in the next three weeks so I can get out while I'm on semester break from work....although I'm not sure where I'm going yet.

I suggest checking out the forums at bikepacking.net for more info and used gear.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
What about taking a fat bike? I am really thinking that may be the bike of choice. I know there are heavy, but so am I. Also they are simple, tough and comfortable

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
What about taking a fat bike? I am really thinking that may be the bike of choice. I know there are heavy, but so am I. Also they are simple, tough and comfortable
It's really not necessary. Just as it isn't often necessary to have an overlanding rig with 37" tires, a fat tire bike like a Pugsly isn't necessary unless you're moving over large stretches sand, snow or maybe pudding. Others here travel on the fat tire platform, so I'll let them chime in. For me, I tried it and didn't like it at all. I do have a Pug trip planned for next year, but for that trip a Pug is really the only option. At any rate, in most cases the days are long enough on a bikepack trip, the last thing I need is to be pushing some mega-tire beast down the trail. I do think 29ers are a great bikepacking wheel option.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I have thought about that, but my short frame does not like the 29'er height. Darn this short stance LOL

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have thought about that, but my short frame does not like the 29'er height. Darn this short stance LOL
How short are we talking? I regularly ride with a couple women who are both under 5'5" and they rip on their 29ers. One of my racing friends is 5'8" and he fits great on his 29er.

You don't live in a tree and make cookies for a living do you?:sombrero:

trailsurfer

Explorer
One of my rising buddies is 5'1". She exclusively rides a 29er without a problem. A lot of bicycle companies are making 29ers with quite a bit of slope in the top tube.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
One of my rising buddies is 5'1". She exclusively rides a 29er without a problem. A lot of bicycle companies are making 29ers with quite a bit of slope in the top tube.
Your buddy Vic comes to mind. That guy can't be more than 5'5". He went around me at the 24 Hour race like I was standing still.

EMrider

Explorer
Thanks to those who have offered info and opinions on this topic.

I enjoy exploring and riding anything on two wheels (off road only), so bikepacking looks like an ideal way to combine what I enjoy.

My plan initially is to use my regular 26in wheel full sus bike. I'll probably grab on old man mountain rear rack and follow Flounder's advice. Trips of 1-2 nights are my goal, nothing too epic.
R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3