i am need of advice

david.lemke

Adventurer
if you had to get a overland vehicle what would you get to build out for expoditions????? Why????
i am thinking of selling my expo overland chevy express van before i do the 4x4 conversion, if i do this sale it would go straight to my next overland build, the wife is not going to like it being that we usually camp in this as well.

Maninga

Adventurer
Too many variables. What sort of travel do you do now? What are you wanting to do that current van doesn't? Comfort needs? Budget?

Favorite vehicle for exploring & camping out of was a Subaru WRX
Current build is a Fuso 4x4 with custom camper body
Pick something in between that suits

david.lemke

Adventurer
i want to do some trail riding,
i want 4x4 but im not looking to abuse it, im to old for that crap......lol
i love my express van but i dont want to kill every panel from trees
as far as budget, the van was a budget build and works great but i want something to fit the trail
no "major" rock crawling........again, not looking to damage drive train

david.lemke

Adventurer
11694029_10100248801857954_5329385131288805840_n.jpg

this is what i am not to interested in doing, at least right now due to the weight of the van and i am not looking to tear up stuff

millerfish

Adventurer
I went from a Ford E350 to a double cab Tacoma. It's a pretty capable vehical right off the lot. However I do miss the space the van had.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Personally I would go with a custom, more than slightly modified, small, 4wd not AWD, Jeep 2 door; Its the only thing that I have had that has been satisfactory.
You on the other hand probably have different; needs, uses and expectations...
Enjoy!

Silverado08

Observer
View attachment 312673

this is more of what im wanting to do
You can do that easily with 2 wheel drive..lol
Ive always been happy with Chevys so would recomend Chevy van,would instal one of those raised roofs for more head room.
One could always be converted to 4x4,,,but even with only G80 locker its easy to get thru most stuff,,my Silvy is 2 wheel drive but two feet of snow last winter was no problem..

TwinStick

Explorer
It is relatively easy to "get in over your head", unless you KNOW the trail. What starts out nice, does not always end that nice. You could go as mild as a Subaru w/lift (as stated earlier) or as wild as a Power Wagon. We own a Power Wagon. They are not for everyone. It sucks gas like nothing i have EVER seen @ 8-10 mpg at it's BEST, but it gets that whether it is empty or pulling 10,500 lbs. We recently downsized our camper to one that is 3200 lbs. Truck don't even know it is back there. We plan to do what you want to do. Having lockers front & rear & a winch is VERY comforting if things get bad quickly. Even something as mild as a rainstorm can be perilous depending on soil, hills & where you are. When i want to "get out of Dodge" i DO want to get out. We absolutely LOVE the truck & it's capabilities. I plan for the worst & hope & pray for the best. Sometimes, it really IS better to have it & not need it, then to need it & not have it. The PW option was only $6200 more in 2008 when we ordered ours. I could not put that stuff on my truck for less even WITHOUT labor costs, so for us, it was a good choice.3 Also, i am 52 yrs old----tick tock, never know how much time we got left.

Lots for you to think about. Time, money, your age, skills & tools to build what you want, wifes input, etc.. ..

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I suggest to most folks that if they want to get a handle on their vehicle and their own capabilities; to join a local 4WD group populated by intelligent, sensible folks and then go on some runs and camp/enjoy the learning experience...
After getting some trail time/informal training most people are much better equipped to judge the conditions and probably have at least some second hand knowledge about what to do if...
...Or when its time to turn around.

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven