IFS Overhaul (3rd gen 4run'r)

mvwmvw

Hi all, thanks for letting me lurk for so many years...

I have been rolling around in my 1997 4runner for about a year after having put in LC 7 wrap coils and a pair of adjustable Bilsteins up front. I have 175k on the odo and replaced the CVs when I went through w/ the lift, putting in diff drop spacers to be safe. The shop did a poor alignment on it and due to laziness and time I am now I'm looking down the barrel of a lot of front end work.

Considering the age of the truck, I'm ok with it anyhow, as I'm pretty sure from records that TREs, ball joints, etc. have never been dealt with. I've had the front sway bar disconnected for the past 20k. Links were broken before I purchased the truck.

So in adding it all up, there is definitely some pucker-factor. I really need to do the TREs, both inner and outer. The ball joints look old, not stressed, but old... and with my luck would fail with the family out in the middle of a long trip... so they are out. Bearings? As long as I'm in there... Oh... and I have a broken rib so I will have to parcel all this out to some mech.

So I added it all up, considered a SAS, decided I don't have the skill to fab up my own coil over front, though I am happy to have completed my riff on BruceTS's bumper.

I don't have 10k to have someone else do the SAS for me., so I go back to the IFS, though it's hard to fathom 1.5k+ for exactly what is there already... Don't know if the TC kit is worth it over this... As it is an expedition vehicle: surf trips in North America mostly, with time for fun along the way.

Do I do all this at once or space it all out? Anything I am missing?
This is my third 4runner, but my first 3rd gen, so forgive any ignorance.

This is the list:
Ball joints: U/L; R/L
Tie rod ends: Inner/outer; R/L
Bearings
ABS rings
Sway bar bushings
Steering Bushings
Extended sway bar end links
CA Bushings all over...

Thanks in advance, as always! (I posted this at IH8, too..)

toy_tek

Adventurer
Why ABS rings?

If you're going in that far, might consider addressing the control arm bushings. I changed mine at about 185k, but don't know if I'd go the route of changing the OEM bushings again. They ended up being pretty expensive and a huge PITA. I might consider other options (replacement control arms).

rickashay

Explorer
If your sticking to a non-long travel rig and want to replace the front end components, have a look into the Tacoma TRE and BJ "upgrade." There is a lot of info on it over on T4R.org and apparently the 1st gen Tacoma front end parts are a little more beefy. Something to consider....

herdnerd

Why ABS rings?

If you're going in that far, might consider addressing the control arm bushings. I changed mine at about 185k, but don't know if I'd go the route of changing the OEM bushings again. They ended up being pretty expensive and a huge PITA. I might consider other options (replacement control arms).

I replaced the lower control arm bushings last year on my 98 Tacoma. I will never do that again. Next time, I will just buy new lower control arms with the bushings included. I think I was able to find replacement lowers with bushings and lower ball joints, but didn't need the lower ball joints so I just bought the bushings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl