Importing an 80 Series to the USA?

AZ4Runner

Observer
What are the pros and cons of importing one of these. Is the Turbo diesel worth it?

I'm looking for another SUV. I drive a 1998 4x4 5speed Supercharged 4Runner.

Pros would be it's unique and solid axle, might get good mpg? And I think you can get a manual transmission

Cons: I know nothing about toyota diesels from overseas but a 25 year old one is generally going to need work at some time, and it could be tough to get parts for an engine not sold here. Might need a diesel mechanic. I'm sure it's more reliable than a land rover or something but it's still a 25 year old truck with parts not readily available here, and no mechanics here who know how to work on it.

It sure would be fun to have something that unique though, but if I was going to import an old land cruiser I would probably go for a 70 series

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The 25 year rule is going to limit you to a 1991. If you look to Europe, you can find left hand drive diesel 5 speed trucks, but as mentioned, if you're going through all that trouble, I'd bring in a 70 series.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
You can bring a 21 year old 1HD-T in a 80 chassis into US. The 80 chassis has already cleared NTS. 70 series still need to have had their 25th birthday to gain entry. The only problem with a 1HD-T equiped 80 is finding good condition one in ROW for <$20K, I've been looking....

Ultralite

Adventurer
I was hoping someone on here would have experience with "Land Cruisers Direct" and maybe offer a review. I've been monitoring their offerings. Would love to buy something I can hold on to for the long term with the LC dimensions and reputation....

JoshH

I purchased an HJ61 from Steve at Land Cruisers Direct back in early August of this year. I would highly recommend his shop and will purchase from him again in the future. It helped that I live about an hour from his shop and had a chance to go check out the vehicle and test drive it before purchase. I can tell you, all the vehicles in his shop looked to be in top shape.LandCruiser.jpgLandCruiser.jpg

Last edited:

t_tentech

You can bring a 21 year old 1HD-T in a 80 chassis into US. The 80 chassis has already cleared NTS. 70 series still need to have had their 25th birthday to gain entry. The only problem with a 1HD-T equiped 80 is finding good condition one in ROW for <$20K, I've been looking....

How would this be done? I've thought the same thing, but I talked to an RI and they told me no. I'd have to get bonds totaling almost 4 times the vehicles worth. I think that I need to find an RI who's familiar with Land Cruisers.

t_tentech

I've talked to a RI about this VSP # previously, they have told me that I'd need expensive bonds just to bring it into the country. I need to find someone who has first hand experience on this. I truly want to know as I'm looking to import an HDJ80 in 2016.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven