Interested in becoming a Rover owner, any advice appreciated.

Gideon00

I have been looking at Rovers for the past month or so and have been trying to learn as much as possible. Any advice on what to be on the lookout for and what expectations I should have would be greatly appreciated.

I found a vehicle in DFW that looks like a decent start, however one of my main questions right now lands on price. Any time I find something, it seems to be priced about 300% above any valuation I can find. What should be my expectations on that subject? I will post a link to an example below. Value seems to be between $3 and $4k. I understand the upgrades on this vehicle would present a price difference, but at $15k I am trying to get a grasp on evertything.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mt=[ROV[RANGE[]][]]&listingId=364003740&Log=0

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Steve

sedat

Adventurer
He's been trying to hock that thing for quite some time. while it is quite a nice truck. I'm not exactly sure of the 15,000 dollar price tag.

Plus at the end of the day it is still a p38.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Be careful. Land Rovers are like heroin. They are highly addictive and its not a decision to be taken lightly.

-Jeff

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Owning a Land Rover is a lot like being married: some really really good times interspersed with some really really what-was-I-thinking bad, expensive, depressive times. Caveat Emptor truly applies to LR ownership especially an older "preowned" "used" model.

fishEH

Explorer
He's been trying to hock that thing for quite some time. while it is quite a nice truck. I'm not exactly sure of the 15,000 dollar price tag.

Plus at the end of the day it is still a p38.
Yes that's overpriced. Take the total of all his accessories and upgrades and then take about 1/2 to 3/4 of that and add it to the cost of a stock P38.

sedat

Adventurer
Yes that's overpriced. Take the total of all his accessories and upgrades and then take about 1/2 to 3/4 of that and add it to the cost of a stock P38.

Exactly. upgrades/accessories don't contribute 100% to the value of a truck.
for $15K thats greymarket Defender territory.

Drover

Adventurer
That vehicle just has a bunch of stuff bolted on it, hardly worth $7-$8k , and that's being generous.
No lockers, stock gears

newhue

Adventurer
Steve, I'm no RR expert, but I think they have a gear box that's insanely expansive to fix. If you purchase any P38 you need to get a professional opinion on the auto.
Ask yourself do I actually want those accessories, will I use them. If it's yes then price them from a accessories shop to get a brand new value; then half that value for second hand or insurance write off values. That's their worth, and use it as a negotiating tool down the dealer. Stick with the carsales guide on value. Insurance companies use it to get a feel for a cars worth when writing off vehicles. Then there is a bit of fudging for a vehicles supply and demand status. That's the three realities you should work with. The other factor is emotions usually based on "look" and "desire" and are worth nothing from your point of view. If it had log books from a reputable servicing agent, and was in excellent condition, and low milage than it's still hard to see the real worth in it, even with fudging. Buy it "could" be worth the money based on "emotions and look".
IMO wait for a private sale from a typical RR owner that will have no dealer margin. It's almost a given the owner will have done very little with it, and probably be the original owner. Just be patient and keep watching. When you find this seller, chances are they will want nothing for it as it's just the old RR to them, or want just above trade in, so you get the best of both worlds. In Aus, the classic RR are desirable for their simplicity and off road capability, but are still not worth much because they are so old. Thereafter its a down hill slide on demand as the electronic complexity of a P38 is not what many people want on a 10+ year old car. Buying one with lots of 4x4 accessories and possible off road use may not be that wise. I'd be sticking with the recommended carsales value with your chosen accessories list and being patient. And don't forget the gear box check.

zelatore

Explorer
In general, I'd steer clear of any sort of used car dealer when searching for a mod'ed vehicle. They almost never know anything about the rig as they didn't build it and are likely not enthusiasts though there are some few dealers who specialize in a particular make/model and are knowledgeable. Of course, you'll pay a premium buying from them but generally that buys you some piece of mind

I'd only go through a second-hand dealer like that if I was extremely confident in my own knowledge and capacity to ferret out issues with the rig and assume anything the dealer told me was either mis-information or an outright lie. Something about that particular 'class' of dealer has always set my radar off.

ColoDisco

Explorer
^^^ land rover tech. P38 range rovers can and will have air suspension issues (unless converted to coils) and electrical issues. Common electrical issues are with the body control unit. You will want to check maintenance esp with the 4.6 power plant. Are the head gaskets done? Is the engine knocking (possible slipped cylinder liner)? Get a good look under the engine, some common repairs I do on a weekly basis, front crank seal/cam position sensor seal on the front timing cover. Spark plug wires and plugs. Water pumps. Drag link ends and track arm ends.

Do your due diligence and if you cannot spot these things then have it inspected prior to purchase. We get far too many vehicles in for post purchase inspection. ;)

If you intend to 4 wheel it I would look at the discoveries instead. Tend to be a little less troublesome. Stay away from the 03-04 years.

sedat

Adventurer
After wheeling 2 p38s for 2 years, I went back to a discovery after the crash.
My p38 only left me stranded once. but it gave me never ending headaches, and I too worked on them.

brianf408

Observer
What is your price range? What are your intended uses for the vehicle? Planning to modify, or run stock?

For off-road use, you really can't go wrong with a Discovery. I do have to say, if you're looking at buying an older Rover I really hope that you have (or will buy) some good tools and are a decent DIY mechanic, or are open to learning. Give the vehicle you're looking at a long lookover yourself, and perhaps take it to a Land Rover shop for an inspection. Don't be scared off by lots of the small common issues, but if you have a lot of engine ticking or some driveline issues, you may want to pass.

I'm a pretty new owner of a 96 Discovery, it has it's fair share of little problems, but nothing that couldn't be fixed in an afternoon for cheap or free. The drivetrain is rugged and just plain simple, and is very easy to work on. My biggest downfall with it has just been catching up on maintenance that was neglected by the previous owner.

roverandom

Adventurer
This is how it breaks down for the older LR models.

A Disco One is the cheapest, operational Land Rover to buy, modify and repair. It's the place most folks start.

The next most cost effective would be a Range Rover Classic. Cool looking and collectible they are getting restored more than modified these days.

Next up is the Disco II. Popular but more expensive to buy and modify and more expensive and complex to fix.

Then you have the unloved p38 and Freelander. They are unloved for good reason.

Next is the Series LR's. Collectible and ever cool and Likely to appreciate in value if you don't ruin it with crazy off roading and chequer plate.

Defenders bring up the rear. Massive aftermarket in the UK and adaptable but seriously overpriced in NA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoDisco

Explorer
This is how it breaks down for the older LR models.

A Disco One is the cheapest, operational Land Rover to buy, modify and repair. It's the place most folks start.

The next most cost effective would be a Range Rover Classic. Cool looking and collectible they are getting restored more than modified these days.

Next up is the Disco II. Popular but more expensive to buy and modify and more expensive and complex to fix.

Then you have the unloved p38 and Freelander. They are unloved for good reason.

Next is the Series LR's. Collectible and ever cool and Likely to appreciate in value if you don't ruin it with crazy off roading and chequer plate.

Defenders bring up the rear. Massive aftermarket in the UK and adaptable but seriously overpriced in NA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly! Well said!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl