Is '88 a good year for Cherokees?

TerryD

Adventurer
The Re-Nix fuel injection is pretty good and easy to trouble shoot is what I've heard. You'll have ALOT of vacuum lines to go over and check for leaks and broken spots. The closed cooling system can be a pain and most people switch over to the later open style where the coolant reservoir isn't pressurized. Could have a D44 rear axle in it which is a plus. Have you looked at it really good? Was it parked for some reason? It's rare a Jeep Cherokee doesn't get alot of miles racked up on it. I'm getting closer to 250K on my 98 every day!

XJINTX

Explorer
The vacuum lines can be a pain! It probably has a disconnect front axle? That can actually be a plus. My 87 has one and I added an Aussie locker and replaced disconnect with a PosiLok cable select. Therefore when in 4x4 I actually have a kind of selectable locker :)

My 87 has the 2.5L with 82K and I love it. However, I also have a 2000 with the nice options and newer systems... really love it for camping and expos!

shogun

Adventurer
Thanks, everyone. Another question: What kind of gas mileage would I expect?

Might help to know which motor it has (and tranny).

4.0; maybe 18 stock, 15 upgraded.

If it has the V6, run, dont walk away. Renix works, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. CAD works too.

4xdog

Explorer
I've had an 88 XJ for about 20 years. I like the seats from that year -- especially on the Limited models with separate headrests. I like the lack of an under-dash knee bolster and the lower dash profile from this era -- defintely more comfortable for this six-foot-six driver.

The Renix system, while largely orphaned, is reliable enough to forget about it. The transmission and transfer case are pretty solid. The closed cooling system is the main concern -- air pockets in the system cause hot spots, cracks in the plastic pressure bottle lead to elevated temperatures and fluid loss, and radiator corrosion can be a problem. If it's cared for, it works fine. If the cooling system has been neglected, it'll lead to problems. The vacuum system is tricky. Under-the-hood is pretty easy to check and repair. Into the dash is more problematic, although less important to driveability. HVAC, cruise, vent position all need good vacuum.

Depending on weight, drag-creating accessories, and driving style mileage for the 4.0 L can be as high as 20-22 mpg and as low as 15-16. Figure 18 typically.

4xdog

Explorer
x2 on running away from the 2.8 L V6. The 4.0 L straight six in original or HO form is just fine.

TerryD

Adventurer
No, the 4.0L HO is 1994 and later model Jeeps. This involved a cylinder head change made for the 1994 year model that boosted the HP numbers for it, even though it actually cost it about 15ft/lb of torque. At least I think it's 1994, could have been 1996....

4xdog

Explorer
Yes, the 4.0 L is always a straight six, but is not always the HO version. My 300 000 mile 88 isn't -- the HO was an early 90s option, as TerryD notes.

The 4.2 L in your old CJ5 was not the same engine as the XJ's.

stomperxj

Explorer
No, the 4.0L HO is 1994 and later model Jeeps. This involved a cylinder head change made for the 1994 year model that boosted the HP numbers for it, even though it actually cost it about 15ft/lb of torque. At least I think it's 1994, could have been 1996....

Chrysler electronics/ignition and HO is 91 and newer and the HO has about 10ft-lbs more torque and 15 ish HP

outdoors

Observer
Avoid the five speed manual for that year, most likely came with the PEUGEOT transmission. the auto is bullet proof behind all XJ 4.0's..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk