Isuzu news flash

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
Folks I am copying this from another site but thought I would share it here.

" PRESS RELEASE Independent4x announces the NEW 12 bolt Locker
Independent4x proudly announces the release of the Isuzu Rear 12-bolt Aussie Locker automatic locking differential.

Press Release:

RICHMOND, VA, December 2007 - Independent4x, in a joint venture with Torq-Masters Technology, Inc., is proud to announce the release of a new locker for the Isuzu 26-spline 12-bolt Rear Axle. Independent4x will be the exclusive stocking distributor of this long-awaited application. This is the second of two Aussie Locker automatic locking differential applications for Isuzu that we have relaesed in 2007. This unit is set to ship starting 12/20/07 and into 2008.

This rear application covers the full range of 1987-2001 Isuzu 4 wheel drive vehicles in the US: Trooper, Vehicross, Amigo, & 4x4 Pickup models.

This locker will cover the rear Isuzu corporate 12-bolt axle found in all Troopers from late 1987-1997, Amigos and pickups through 1995, and all 1998-2001 Vehicross models. This is an exciting new product as it will be the first locker of its kind to be developed for this axle.

We also make a Locker for the front Isuzu 10 bolt IFS. Both applications are currently available to order by calling Independent4x at (804) 550-0480 Monday-Friday 9am –6pm EST or online at www.independent4x.com.

we have a long list of names for those of you who have already called in on this.

we will be working on organizing, invoicing, calling back, charging and shipping those 1st orders. (we will be going in the order of who is already in line for these)

you are also welcome to order off the site if you did not call in........... we also have plenty of 10 bolt fronts to go with your 12 bolt rear"

jl8088

Adventurer
Please help me understand...

"This rear application covers the full range of 1987-2001 Isuzu 4 wheel drive vehicles in the US: Trooper, Vehicross, Amigo, & 4x4 Pickup models."

I would think this would cover me and my 1999 trooper.

but then....

This locker will cover the rear Isuzu corporate 12-bolt axle found in all Troopers from late 1987-1997

so now i'm confused. Will this locker work in the 1998-2001 troopers? Do you think you could have this in a daily driver?

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
jl8088 said:
Please help me understand...

"This rear application covers the full range of 1987-2001 Isuzu 4 wheel drive vehicles in the US: Trooper, Vehicross, Amigo, & 4x4 Pickup models."

I would think this would cover me and my 1999 trooper.

but then....

This locker will cover the rear Isuzu corporate 12-bolt axle found in all Troopers from late 1987-1997

so now i'm confused. Will this locker work in the 1998-2001 troopers? Do you think you could have this in a daily driver?

I would call Matt at independent4x and ask him.

www. independent4x.com

bootzilla

Adventurer
Definitely call Matt if you are interested - he would be able to answer questions.

I also don't know what the benefit of the locker would be if you already have the G80 limited slip in the Troop. The aussie locker is stronger than the clutch-pack type in the LSD, I would think?

From what I read, the Aussie would click a lot as a regular driver in the rear end, and might lock up quicker then the LSD, possibly making it more squirrely on slick roads...but I may be wrong..

I am still waiting for the day I can get an ARB air locker in the front and just keep the lsd in the back...

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
Shovel said:
The G80 is something I've often wondered about... I've owned 2 troopers but neither was equipped with the G80 option code so I don't have hands-on knowledge about it:

The prevailing comments from 4x4wire's Isuzu users indicate that Troopers with the G80 option code have a regular cone-clutch limited slip unit, contract manufactured by Power Brute.

HOWEVER, General Motors pickup trucks and suv's also have a "G80" option code which refers to the Eaton G80 Gov-Lock differential - this is a true 100% locker - albeit a finnicky one - which uses clutches somewhat like a limited slip but due to its self-energizing cam (any initial slipping causes it to get tighter) it's a true spool when it decides to engage.

So... the question is, are "G80" equipped Troopers actually equipped with the Eaton G80 Gov-Lock? Or, is it sheer coincidence that out of all 46,656 possible 3-digit alphanumeric combinations, both companies picked the same one to indicate differential traction device?

My understanding is they are a tracklock made by dana but as I am not what one would call an expert on these axles I will talk to matt and get some clarity
As far as I am aware he is the only person I would have 100% faith would know the answer short of an isuzu engineer or factory mechanic. Its not everyone after all that has had custom gears cut for those axles.

Stand by the answer is forthcoming
:coffee:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I am not sure, but i do believe that it is the same Eaton unit that GM uses. I have it in my Trooper, and it has yet to let me down.

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
The pre 98 12 bolt has a limited slip that is Japanese in manufacture called a powerlock the post 98 has a dana traclock in the modified 12 bolt.
There is a period of time in 98 where there we units shipped without the limited slip however I have learned that except for that time almost all us troopers were shipped with a factory limited slip.
Picture of the differences coming to a forum near you soon.

independent4x

the 98-2002 troopers have the "modified 12 bolt rear" isuzu corp axle. the new lockers do not work for these axles.

these are larger ring gear versions, have 1.5" shafts, 23 spline (the 97-87 have a 26 spline)

these axle use a Dana spicer trak-lock which is a clutch pack type LSD.

the 97-87's used a Powerbrute LSD unit mfg in japan.

and to clarify.......the new lockers fit up to 2001 BECAUSE....the VX has the same rear axle from the 97 trooper.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online