Jeep preventative maintenance - what to change at 170K miles?

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
We're going to Newfoundland and Labrador this summer and there are a couple of places where braking down would be an absolute nightmare. So I'm looking into the crystal ball to decide what parts, if any, I should replace beforehand even though they're currently working fine.

The vehicle is my '97 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed which has almost 170K miles on the clock. So far the only things that have been replaced are the exhaust header at about 110K and water pump and radiator at about 150K. Everything else - including the clutch - is original.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Graham

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I used to own a Jeep shop and modified a lot of Jeeps for offroad travel. Common failure items on higher mileage Jeeps are the clutch throw-out bearing and the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder.

If it were my Jeep and I were going on a long trip in your '97 TJ I would at a minimum replace the clutch and related components, and all belts, hoses and filters. Also you are probably overdue for wheel bearings, axle and t-case seals and all u-joints (axle and driveshaft).

I took my wife's '99 Grand Cherokee to Moab from Ohio last June. She had 114K on it at the time. I replaced the front unit bearings and CV axle shafts and all of the differential bearings and axle seals front and rear before the trip. Of course the Grands are infamous for going through carrier and pinion bearings...and her's were making a growling noise before I replaced them.

Jay S.

Observer
I would service everything!! Change all the fluids you can. But for the first thing I can think of would be a fuel filter and for better mileage change the oxygen sensors...

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I agree, do the clutch. It is actually not a bad DIY project provided you can rope a buddy to help. There are 2 bolts at the top of the bell housing that no socket will fit right. They are reverse torx:(

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Pick up a new crank position sensor, install and keep the old for a spare. Save the old serpentine belt too.

I would definately consider hub bearings, and every ujoint on the Jeep. Check the balljoints as well.

Good tune and lube, and check things over well.

Those bellhousing torx bolts are an E12 socket.

OKRCON

X2 on the crankshaft postion sensor. Even if you don't change it you should get a spare. It is the only sensor that the computer can't compensate for by using the limp mode if it fails.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
grahamfitter said:
Thanks, all! What about things like alternator, starter motor, etc?

Cheers,
Graham

Just came from a friends house. He was replacing the starter in his Nissan. The brushes were worn out and it was "slow starting". Buy good quality replacements for the starter and alternator. The OEMs hold up very good.

I've also had problems with Throttle Positions Sensors...FYI.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
grahamfitter,

If you are not part of Rubiconownersforum.com, I suggest you hop over there. There is a gentleman by the handle DoctorD that has been doing vehicle maintainence for many years mostly on high mileage vehicles on a commercial level. He is quite good at explaining needed repair.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Thanks, again, everybody. I've got to admit I'm not in any way a competent mechanic and I'm definitely not going to attempt the clutch and transfer case seals myself. But I think I can probably handle the basic service stuff (filters, hoses, etc) and hopefully the accessible drive train parts - ball joints, axle seals, U joints and wheel bearings - one corner at a time.

The springs and shocks also need replacing. If I can do this without putting a new OME spring through the side of the neighbor's house it will be a major achievement!

JeepN95YJ said:
... If it were my Jeep and I were going on a long trip in your '97 TJ I would at a minimum replace the clutch and related components, and all belts, hoses and filters. Also you are probably overdue for wheel bearings, axle and t-case seals and all u-joints (axle and driveshaft). ...

I hope you don't mean the oil seals in the differentials?

JeepN95YJ said:
Just came from a friends house. He was replacing the starter in his Nissan. The brushes were worn out and it was "slow starting". Buy good quality replacements for the starter and alternator. The OEMs hold up very good.

I've also had problems with Throttle Positions Sensors...FYI.

Are you saying replace the brushes or the whole thing?

The throttle position sensor was replaced last year. Everything else is original. I think...

Beowulf said:
grahamfitter,

If you are not part of Rubiconownersforum.com, I suggest you hop over there. There is a gentleman by the handle DoctorD that has been doing vehicle maintainence for many years mostly on high mileage vehicles on a commercial level. He is quite good at explaining needed repair.

Good idea, thanks!

Cheers,
Graham

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
grahamfitter said:
I hope you don't mean the oil seals in the differentials?

Yes....the differential seals and bearings.

grahamfitter said:
Are you saying replace the brushes or the whole thing?

I would replace the whole thing. He was checking out the brushes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz