Jeep trailer is done

Keith B.

Observer
The original build took me about 5 months on this, but it has been sitting since the beginning of the summer. I had about 20 hours of work left to finish it and then it was off to paint and for bedliner. But it is all done.

Here is the original build thread.
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/offroad-trailer-build-on-40s.167286/

Specs on it
Complete handmade tub. Outside dimensions of the tub are 63x84. The fenders add on to that.
Timbren 2" lift suspension - 3500lb
8x6.5 lug patter with electric drum brakes with e-brake (handle is on the spare tire carrier)
40" tires with beadlocks (for spaers to the jeep)
Jeep CJ7 tailgate that I cut apart and made a latching system so it will lock
Key matched lock for the lid
Hydraulics for the lid that I can swap out depending on weight of stuff on the cargo rack.
5 Rotopax mounts

lb2IhL5.jpg

lSAwU00.jpg

l0WlNnS.jpg

bGQrRLn.jpg

gjXeDGr.jpg

7Mv4qxL.jpg

rmi4gcq.jpg

iT1dFbE.jpg

mYMZUcR.jpg

hJEIUAl.jpg

gOU88rh.jpg

Jeep has one ton axles, 430 hp LS3, full cage, and a custom third row seating for 7,

mudraider

Adventurer
So on your spare tire mount, you think the wedge underneath the right angle will he sufficient for that big tire? I am pretty sure I'm way over engineering mine, was planning on angling a piece of the 2" square tubing for the support. It would look so much better like yours, so tell me I'm just overthinking it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Keith B.

Observer
So on your spare tire mount, you think the wedge underneath the right angle will he sufficient for that big tire? I am pretty sure I'm way over engineering mine, was planning on angling a piece of the 2" square tubing for the support. It would look so much better like yours, so tell me I'm just overthinking it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think so. The tube is 3/16. I think we all just over engineer everything we do. My rocksliders are welded to the frame with three pieces of 1/4 inch tube, about 18 inches out, and they handle a 6000lb jeep landing hard on rocks. I think that 3/16 can handle a tire 10 inches out that weighs 150lbs bouncing around.

old_CWO

Nice work, I really like that you made the tub a little larger than the standard 1/4 ton. I have always thought the military trailers were just a little too small; I would love to have an M416 clone that could carry 4x8 sheet goods flat on the floor.

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
This is an absolute gorgeous trailer! Let us know how the suspension works after you take it out! Nice work!

Keith B.

Observer
This is an absolute gorgeous trailer! Let us know how the suspension works after you take it out! Nice work!
I will. I drove it to Moab Easter Jeep Safari last year before it was totally done, and it was awesome on the road. I am taking it offroad this weekend with some actual weight in it.

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
I will. I drove it to Moab Easter Jeep Safari last year before it was totally done, and it was awesome on the road. I am taking it offroad this weekend with some actual weight in it.

Look forward to hearing some feedback and see some pictures!

What size Timbren axle did you go with? I want to build something similar to match my 8x6.5 bolt pattern. I looked at one time but all I could find that fit an 8x6.5 pattern were way over rated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues