Jerry can problems...

Clark White

Explorer
I have an old school style Jerry can, with the old school flexible steel spout. ( http://www.spminiatures.com/wgjerrycan.jpg ). Love the things, but when I pour the gas, there is no breather, so the can forms a suction and fuel flow comes to a trickle. What is the best way to solve this problem? Ive thought about drilling a hole and putting a small valve on the back. Other option I see is trying to rig up a tube that goes down the inside of the pour spout. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Clark

Icemanii

I would check the spout to see if there is a problem. I have a military can with an older screw in spout (military also) that works well.It will empty the 5 gal. can in less than a minute.

Clark White

Explorer
Icemanii said:
I would check the spout to see if there is a problem. I have a military can with an older screw in spout (military also) that works well.It will empty the 5 gal. can in less than a minute.

Really!? Huh. I'll have to check it out, mine takes about 10min and is very frustrating.

Clark

K2RVR

Adventurer
Have you considered a supersiphon? https://www.expeditionexchange.com/supersiphon/

I love mine and if the can is mounted a bit higher than the vehicles fuel tank, you don;t even need to remove it. Well worth the $13 for the siphon and extension. Drop it in, wiggle it, and enjoy a cigar!

(oops, scratch the cigar idea!)

overlander

Expedition Leader
x3 Super Siphons kick A!@#!

Used mine for first time when gas crisis hit, and won't ever use a spout again.

Steve_in_29

There is already a vent on that style of can. Remove the cap and look at the top of the opening (where your spouts gasket sits) and you will see a small hole (the vent). The problem you are having is due to those cans not being designed to work with the screw-on spouts. The military used a clamp-on spout that keeps the vent clear.

0210391.jpg

Unfortunately the military spouts are mostly the old style leaded gas size. While I have seen a few with the smaller unleaded spouts they are few and far between.

The easiest way to vent your can would be to first install a new gasket on the spout. Then mark the vents location where it will be visible when the spout is fully tightened. Then transfer the mark to the spout's flange and drill a hole in the appropriate spot on the flange (through the gasket as well) to allow the air to vent through it.

Starting with a new gasket will allow you to keep the holes aligned by replacing the gasket as it wears with another new one.

Clark White

Explorer
Steve_in_29 said:
There is already a vent on that style of can. Remove the cap and look at the top of the opening (where your spouts gasket sits) and you will see a small hole (the vent). The problem you are having is due to those cans not being designed to work with the screw-on spouts. The military used a clamp-on spout that keeps the vent clear.

0210391.jpg

Unfortunately the military spouts are mostly the old style leaded gas size. While I have seen a few with the smaller unleaded spouts they are few and far between.

The easiest way to vent your can would be to first install a new gasket on the spout. Then mark the vents location where it will be visible when the spout is fully tightened. Then transfer the mark to the spout's flange and drill a hole in the appropriate spot on the flange (through the gasket as well) to allow the air to vent through it.

Starting with a new gasket will allow you to keep the holes aligned by replacing the gasket as it wears with another new one.

Huh! I had not noticed that, but your right, there is a little hole there! Thanks Steve!

Clark White

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I use a boat gas tank inline pump (one of those black runner jobs) and some clear tubing. A metal fitting at the end of the hose keeps it at the bottom of the tank. Beats pulling the tank off of the rack and fiddling with the nozzle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner