Jk suspension

okfj60

16’ jk rubicon hard rock 2 door.
we plan to be pulling a lighter weight offroad trailer with a rtt. The plan is to also have a roof rack and above spare tire rack. The jeep is already riding on 35s/4:11s and we plan to stick with that size for the foreseeable future although a great change to 4:88 or 5:13s may happen. I do not want the jeep sagging while towing but also don’t want it to be stiff as a board in the rear, I’ve been looking at metal cloak, Clayton’s, teraflex and aev… i also thought about air bags but I’m not sure how well those do offroad. We’re not going to rock crawling competitions but the rubicon trail is on the to-do list. What are y’all’s thoughts?

Hegear

My sons Jeep is a 2 door has 35s. We put 5.13 in it and honestly is a little low even with a stick, they would be perfect for 37s. I run them on 38s on my 4 door, and they are great. i would consider 4.56 or 4.88. We a run a terreflex short arm kit with adjustable controll arms And the standard falcon shocks. It runs quite firm and handles a 3000lb Trailer. quite happy with this setup. I couldn’t comment on the other brands as I have not experience, but I think all you listed have quality kits.

billiebob

Firestone air bags let you keep the stock springs and air up as you add load.... Definitely the most affordable option and the only adjustable, tuneable option.

No need for a compressor, I have a customer with air bags on her Didge pickup, she airs up with a bicycle hand pump, it takes less than a minute.

Two options for he plumbing, two lines, one for each side or the cheaper option a single fill port filling both sides together. The single port lets air transfer as you articulate. Isolated with two fill ports there is no air transfer and you limit articulation.

Last edited:

okfj60

Thank you guys for your input. I’ll give the AEV a go and add joined airbags… does the Aev require a new front drive shaft?

billiebob

Thank you guys for your input. I’ll give the AEV a go and add joined airbags… does the Aev require a new front drive shaft?
umm AEV just announced they are quitting everything JK..... If you buy the last production units there will be zero support..... ask any TJ owner..... they quit everything TJ 10 years ago and they just said once current inventory sells.... they are done with the JK.

Yes AEV engineers are very best Jeep products but they have have zero commitment to support those products once Jeep changes models.

Dear AEV Customers,

We wanted to inform you that AEV will soon be making its final production run of Premium/Tubeless Front Bumpers, Rear Bumper and Heat Reduction Hood for JK Wrangler. We anticipate having enough inventory on hand to continue selling these products for the next year +, but once the inventory from this production run has been exhausted, these products will be discontinued.

If you have been planning to order one of these iconic Bumpers or Heat Reduction Hood for your JK Wrangler, now is the time to act, as inventory will be limited.

Tip of the iceberg.....

Last edited:

Really lucky

I had my air bags joined and found when loaded heavy washboard roads would slinky my suspension side to side. I've since rerouted my airlines to each service only a individual bag.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

zgfiredude

A 2 door isn't the best tow vehicle, you'll need to be careful with weight on the trailer and on the additional weight added to the Jeep. You'll need trailer brakes, and you may want a larger rear sway bar to help with the towing. 4.88s will likely be the sweet spot on gearing. The air bag route will allow flexibility between non-towing and towing suspension and is likely a good idea. I'd throw Old Man Emu into the mix on the suspension as well.

billiebob

A 2 door isn't the best tow vehicle, you'll need to be careful with weight on the trailer and on the additional weight added to the Jeep. You'll need trailer brakes, and you may want a larger rear sway bar to help with the towing. 4.88s will likely be the sweet spot on gearing. The air bag route will allow flexibility between non-towing and towing suspension and is likely a good idea. I'd throw Old Man Emu into the mix on the suspension as well.
no, if you are under the limit for trailer brakes you are good without brakes. The 2 door JK is limited to a 2000# towing capacity. Every state except California sets the trailer brake requirement above that, California says 1500#..... so if you live there be under 1500#.....

As to the short wheelbase there are thousands of youtube videos of quadcab diesel duallies crashing and burning. Wheelbase is not the issue.... PAY ATTENTION. An idiot can break anything.

Myself I tow a 2000# trailer 12,000 miles a year behind a TJR.... for 12 years.... in the mountains.... never a problem. I have 4.10s and wish for 3.73s... but I will never spend the money.

PS, there is nothing wrong with trailer brakes until they lock up in a low traction situation and the trailer tries to pass you..... often on a downhill switchback on a forestry road..... personally I prefer to pay attention.

Yes, you definitely need to load correctly and scale everything loaded to see if you got it right. You need to scale it all several times, truck, trailer, truck and trailer PLUS truck rear axle WITH the trailer and WITHOUT to know the tongue weight load. You likely need a commercial scale to get it right. Might cost $100 but any commercial scale can give you all the numbers. Any highway farm scale can do it for free.

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
I had an AEV On my old 2016 2 door with AEV 3.5....if you do an exhaust mod on the cross over you can get by with out a new front ds but will still make contact under certain situations. You won't sag with the 3.5 springs. I had heavy bumpers and a TF rack which was heavy and never sagged at all.

jadmt

ignore button user
no, if you are under the limit for trailer brakes you are good without brakes. The 2 door JK is limited to a 2000# towing capacity. Every state except California sets the trailer brake requirement above that, California says 1500#..... so if you live there be under 1500#.....

As to the short wheelbase there are thousands of youtube videos of quadcab diesel duallies crashing and burning. Wheelbase is not the issue.... PAY ATTENTION. An idiot can break anything.

Myself I tow a 2000# trailer 12,000 miles a year behind a TJR.... for 12 years.... in the mountains.... never a problem. I have 4.10s and wish for 3.73s... but I will never spend the money.

PS, there is nothing wrong with trailer brakes until they lock up in a low traction situation and the trailer tries to pass you..... often on a downhill switchback on a forestry road..... personally I prefer to pay attention.

Yes, you definitely need to load correctly and scale everything loaded to see if you got it right. You need to scale it all several times, truck, trailer, truck and trailer PLUS truck rear axle WITH the trailer and WITHOUT to know the tongue weight load. You likely need a commercial scale to get it right. Might cost $100 but any commercial scale can give you all the numbers. Any highway farm scale can do it for free.
they bumped it to 3500lbs for a 2 door in 2015 with 3.73 or deeper.

okfj60

If the Jeep has 35's what kind of lift do you currently have?
I bought the jeep used and there are no indication anywhere on what lift it is. It’s not spacers, that’s about as much as i know. It already seems like the rear sags a bit though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk