JK Unlimited roof racks?

typ3

Any advice on roof racks for my new unlimited? I'm having trouble deciding what's good and what's junk.

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
Hannibal makes a nice, lightweight aluminum roof rack for the JK. Downside is that you've got to drill your hardtop to mount it. Doesn't tie into the roll bars at all, so you wouldn't have a rack if you took the top off. Here are some pics:

Hannibal_05 19 10_0148.jpg

Hannibal_05 19 10_0150.jpg

Hannibal_05 19 10_0151.jpg

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Checkout the MBRP JK rack

PICT0099.jpg

Extremely strong all powder coated/SS and Quadratec handles em, I think !!

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Uticon

Adventurer
I modified my Garvin Wilderness Rack because i actually use my rack
:victory::victory::victory:

Attachments

• P6190145R1.JPG
    P6190145R1.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 99

Dank0814

Check out the BajaRack. Its been with me across the country, off road through Colorado, Moab, and Oregon, and performed amazingly. This thing is solid.

Attachments

• Baja.jpg
    Baja.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 80

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I have the wilderness rack on mine as well. Works great but the paint leaves alot to be desired. It's not powdercoated and is showing signs of rust where the paint has been scraped. I have taken my hard top off once with the rack but it makes it interesting because the rack is standing straight up blocking the back and my garage isn't tall enough to use a hoist lift. Two people have to manhandle the top off. I do like the looks of the rack and if it wasn't for the fact that it came with my Jeep, I would have gone with the Gobi.

Oh and another gripe about the garvin/wilderness rack is the license plate has to be taken off to tilt the rack back. Then the bracket still digs into the bumper if it's tilted to far..

Picture036.jpg

Bennyhana

Adventurer
It does wobble a bit. I did find that the previous owner/installer put the nylon washers on the wrong side of the bolts that hold the swing arm to the back of the jeep. once I fixed it, it vibrates way less. I have thought about sleeping up there, I'm pretty sure my air mattress would be a perfect fit..just not if I have tolug everything up and down to make room. I've had 12-9' 2x4's and 32 cedar fence planks up there and I didn't really notice any rack sway but did notice a little more lean in the corners..:Wow1:

AZchris

Adventurer
I just installed a Congo Cage on mine this afternoon. Very sturdy.

Love the look of the Gobi, but was too expensive.

KINGSIZE

With Age Comes A Cage
PUREJEEP.com has one as well. :wings:

I'm told the new website will be up and running shortly with the JK rack

Thegeneral

I know this is not the right spot, but I have a kargomaster congo for the unlimited for sale with the full basket. (reason for selling is I ordered a new roof, and I apologize to you mods who are reading this.)

I love it, it was able to hold all the gear I could think of, not to mention these are very easy to install....And the price is good.

Like anything though, when you buy something, there is always something better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3