JKU with Sunrider and roofrack?

njjeepthing

Explorer
Looking for a rack that would still allow the use of the sun rider soft top. I've seen the one's that release and flip back, is that basically my only choice?
I'd also like to add an awning to the side of the JK is a Rack my only option for that?

The Gobi shows it on the 2 door
JK2_Ranger-Lift.jpg

Didn't see a pic with it on the 4 door though.

If anyone has this rack, how much of a PITA is it to use? Can one person do it?
EDIT
Just found this on the Alpha EXP page:
Attention: 2010- Up Jeep JK Wrangler with factory cable operated soft-top's Sunrider opening option will no longer possible due to clearence between the rack and the soft top.

Guess I'm beat on the rack end.

Any idea how to add an awning without a rack?

Last edited:

skaggs9573

Observer
The Kargo master Congo cage will work just fine. You might have to fab up some brackets for your awning, unless your putting a basket up top.
attachment.php
Here's what I have.

tarditi

Explorer
The crucial pic was left out...

94195-add3.jpg

It seems to compress it quite a bit, but technically, it fits.

I would like to see it in real-world application a little better - this seems to be the only readily available instance in photo or video as most everything else is a closed soft top or hard top installation.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
For racks loaded with gear, they need to be specifically designed for Sun Rider mode. Otherwise, it will require removing all the gear to change top position. This is the same issue with racks that tilt back. Can't tilt it back when loaded up with gear.

The LoD may work with a load in SunRider mode, you'd need to call them to make sure.
http://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep/2007-2016-jeep-jk-products/jeep-jk-roof-rack.html

There are a couple of racks with bolt on horizontal cross bars, and one of the companies makes an Exo-rack/Soft top setup with a sliding "Sun Rider" mode. Look at the Q-Tec website for some examples.
Just remember it's all good, until gear is loaded on the rack, then everything changes, unless the rack was specifically designed for the function. Not many are.

rubicon91

Explorer
That is my issue I would love to have a roof rack along with the new sun rider soft top portion to go on my hard top. I have yet to see a rack that would work that is not drilled into the hard top. I would imagine the new Teraflex one would work maybe even the AEV but again you are cutting into your hard top. For the soft top you are even shorter on options as I dont think Gobi and the sun rider work together open so Kargo master above may be one of the only options.

rubicon91

Explorer
For racks loaded with gear, they need to be specifically designed for Sun Rider mode. Otherwise, it will require removing all the gear to change top position. This is the same issue with racks that tilt back. Can't tilt it back when loaded up with gear.

The LoD may work with a load in SunRider mode, you'd need to call them to make sure.
http://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep/2007-2016-jeep-jk-products/jeep-jk-roof-rack.html

There are a couple of racks with bolt on horizontal cross bars, and one of the companies makes an Exo-rack/Soft top setup with a sliding "Sun Rider" mode. Look at the Q-Tec website for some examples.
Just remember it's all good, until gear is loaded on the rack, then everything changes, unless the rack was specifically designed for the function. Not many are.

I love LOD products but man that is one ugly rack lol. I have LOD front and rear bumpers and plan on getting the sliders. When I heard they were making a roof rack I was super stoked then I saw that thing and well in the order of which roof rack I would get they are a very far behind last place :)

If anyone is mining the interwebs for more info on this, there are always options.

Personally i hate the big, exocage , loud and noisey ugly cages... they just look dumb... but i get the desire to have roof-load.
1583431353661.png

Here is a good solution specific the the masses that want to keep the Hardtop / carry roofload cargo, and still have a super easy , stoplight flip sunrider;
One of the best rack companies, and the best-top. https://www.quadratec.com/p/bestop/rhino-rack-sunrider-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jk-4-door
70252750_10215936076216589_2341128433293066240_o.jpg

I love mine.. looks so good. almost OEM !
20180626_201317.jpg

Last edited:
Email Bestop or call and ask for it. https://www.bestop.com/
Most companies need to know that you are looking for it.
or you could just call RhinoRack, order the backbone kit, and the Bestop sized special 42" x 56" Pioneer Platform.
Then call / order the Bestop SunriderHT for JT / JL

Exactly that! I can't find it anywhere on sale yet, guess it's in the works?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy