Kayaking New England -- What do you recommend?

Hi All

THis will be my girlfriend and my second summer with our new Dagger Alchemy Boats.

We have been on every river around central & eastern Ma & out in the ocean in Gloucester, Salisbury & Ipswich

Now we are looking for fun point to point over night trips.

Are boats are perfect for moving rivers & a blast to surf in.

THanks for the input

Andrew

Thanks Again B

Anyone venture out on a point to point trip starting at WHite River Junction VT?

Heard about it briefly but cant seem to find much on the net.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
I've paddled the White from there, but only a short run in slalom boats. It's a fun class I/II run with a couple of really sticky ledge holes. The last time I paddled it was about this time of year, and on multiple occasions we needed to eddy out and wait for an ice-flow to pass. I can't comment much beyond the short day stretch, and unfortunately I can't remember where we parked for the take-out but it was a good fun piece of river. If you're looking to get more into whitewater (even just mild runs) check out Alden Birds guidebook for New England whitewater called Let It Rain.

What class water are you looking for? I learned to paddle back east (mostly NH) and might be able to point you in a couple more directions.

Cheers,
West

Hey West

My boat can handle class I/II. Its a bit large for anything else at my current level.

its the Dagger alchemy

Will definitely check out that book.

Any other spots are greatly appreciated

Andrew

DesertBoater

Adventurer
A recommendation on other spots depend on what you're looking to do, mostly protected flatwater (lakes and protected inlets), rivers, or more ocean paddling. I'd definitely recommend a paddling clinic depending on where you want to go. I've worked for two really really good outfits both in MA. Osprey Sea Kayak Adventures out of Westport, MA can help you with just about any ocean paddling you're looking for, and Zoar Outdoor runs awesome whitewater clinics and classes. I'm not working for them currently and thus, not connected in any way, I just had a really great experiences with both and would recommend them highly.

That being said, if you're looking for more ocean paddling, take a look at the Maine Island Trail. Many of the passages from site to site can be hazardous depending on tides and weather (fog), however there are plenty of others that are just a short paddle from a small harbor, and all of a sudden you feel like the only person on the planet. The MIT was my first experience sea kayaking and was absolutely spectacular, if not a little higher-risk (myself and a friend, both in high school, having never sea kayaked before, with lots of whitewater and backpacking experience...)

For river paddling, you might look into the Alagash. I haven't done it myself yet, however everyone that I've talked to about it has raved of its solitude, beauty, and mosquitoes. From what I've heard, it's the closest thing New England has to the Boundary Waters in Minnesota. I haven't done too much research, but aside from a few sections, you might consider a longer trip along the Connecticut River that forms the border of VT and NH, then down through MA and CT...I think there ought to be some good downstream (non-technical) paddling to be found so long as you can find campsites from point A to point B and a shuttle isn't too bad.

Good Luck!!

Cheers,
West

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach