Klamath Falls to Gearhart Wilderness, OR Day Trip

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Decided to take a a day trip from Klamath Falls to Blue Lake in Gearhart Wilderness.

Trip started out pretty late in the day due to the impromptu nature and trying to get stuff together (had to find a new spare tire) but once on the road and after passing a few people things went smooth

Pics heading out of town
bluelake002.jpg

bluelake003.jpg

bluelake004.jpg

bluelake005.jpg

bluelake006.jpg

bluelake007.jpg

Got to Beatty/Bly area
bluelake008.jpg

bluelake009.jpg

bluelake010.jpg

bluelake012.jpg

bluelake015.jpg

Turn off
bluelake013.jpg

bluelake014.jpg

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Then I decided to take what appeared to be a short cut...............which led to about an hour in 4low crawling around in the middle of nowhere. Didn't take many pics since the road about maxed out my 4runner.
Cool wooden culvert
bluelake017.jpg

bluelake018.jpg

First stop: North Fork of the Sprague River
bluelake019.jpg

bluelake020.jpg

bluelake021.jpg

bluelake022.jpg

bluelake023.jpg

bluelake024.jpg

bluelake025.jpg

bluelake026.jpg

bluelake027.jpg

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Finally arived at the trailhead to Blue Lake (3 miles one way) which I had to quickly hike due to it getting late. Only spent about 30min fishing up at the lake but got a couple of bites :).
bluelake029.jpg

bluelake034.jpg

bluelake035.jpg

bluelake036.jpg

bluelake037.jpg

bluelake038.jpg

bluelake039.jpg

bluelake040.jpg

bluelake041.jpg

bluelake042.jpg

bluelake043.jpg

Stopped by Mitchell Memorial on my way back to Klamath. Only place in the Continental US that had US civillian casualties due to enemy action in WW2. Pretty sad story....could still see scars in the surrounding trees.
bluelake045.jpg

bluelake046.jpg

bluelake047.jpg

Jferg

Observer
Super pictures. Nice to see the old Toyota 4-Runner. Yours is in great shape. I used to have an 88' 4-Runner. A great vehicle.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Thanks!

I love the 4runner it's nice being able to fit in very small places, be very capable off road (I was amazed I didn't get stuck today), have plenty of room, and get good gas mileage (been getting 20-24 lately). It's in great shape but it did get a few pinstripes today (I'll probably repaint it white next lol). My one complaint is it's a little on the gutless side but I think with a 4.56 regear I should be good.

Jferg

Observer
Does your 4-Runner have the 3 litre V-6? My 88' did and it was a bit underpowered. I believe it ran about 140 HP. My mileage was not bad either. I used to get almost 27 mpg (based on the Imperial gallon) on the highway. I now run a FJ Cruiser which is harder on gas but has 100 more HP than the old 4-Runner.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Does your 4-Runner have the 3 litre V-6? My 88' did and it was a bit underpowered. I believe it ran about 140 HP. My mileage was not bad either. I used to get almost 27 mpg (based on the Imperial gallon) on the highway. I now run a FJ Cruiser which is harder on gas but has 100 more HP than the old 4-Runner.

No I've got the 4cyl 22re......it's a new engine that's pretty built and puts out a good amount of power over stock but it still somewhat struggles due to the 31's.

Jferg

Observer
No I've got the 4cyl 22re......it's a new engine that's pretty built and puts out a good amount of power over stock but it still somewhat struggles due to the 31's.

Previous to my 88' 4-Runner, I had a 1981 Toyota 4x4 truck and it had the 4 cylinder 22 R engine. I believe it had around 120 HP and yes, it certainly was under powered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC