Leaf spring question

emoddriver

I have the short bed reg. cab 1997 F150 with a shell. the rear springs are a bit tired (sag a bit on one side and leaves no longer aligned with eachother). I am planning on replacing them but am on the fence regarding which way to go. Either way I will be yanking the old springs and replacing them.

One option is get standard rate springs and add a ~1" spacer to better match the front. This would keep the stock spring rate but raise the rear a bit with all the junk in back such as shell, sleeping platform and gear.

The other option I am considering is replacing with a higher rate spring. This would also raise the rear a bit. I worry that the higher rate springs will influence the articulation in the rear a bit and overall handling when loaded and unloaded.

What direction would you go and why?

Thanks,

-Mark

frumpy

Explorer
Are you currently running an overload spring? I think either way would be fine but would make sure you run an overload spring (I think it would give you the best of both worlds)

adrenaline503

Explorer
I just had the same concern with my Nissan Frontier. The higher heavy duty spring rate would have increased my load capacity but made the on road ride much more harsh. After speaking with the ARB (Old Man Emu) technician he said unless you carry a heavy load 20% of the time or more, get the regular spring rate leaf springs. So that's the route I went. Medium springs (regular) for me. If I need more capacity I'll just get some air bags.

x2 on the airbag route. I've had them on my rig for over a dozen years and they've been without problems. A couple of squirts of "O2" in the Schrader valves and I'm good to go. Or...OBA? :sombrero:

lstzephyr

wanderer
I've been looking at replacing springs as well. For stock springs generalspringkc.com is pretty good as far as price goes. I've heard they ship quick too.

Alcan spring will make you a set of custom springs and they are pretty reasonable as well. They quoted me 235 a spring for my truck which is the same as skyjacker off the shelf spring price. You might want to look into it.

Airbags do seem to be the setup for adjusting for weight.

Ala5ka

VX'er
you can get a one piece spring made for you if you've got some moolah to throw around, but then if one breaks you SOL. They are incredibly strong though. Air bags are a great option, I've heard of large capacity springs like F250 springs going on but not sure about that route, or you could replace the old ones with new OEM and add a helper spring or add a leaf, you would get a little lift in the rear and the added load capacity (this is the route I'm taking) 02 SCREW FX4. Best of luck from a fellow blue oval owner

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I had the issue you are currently having. I needed more payload in the rear but I didn't need it ALL the time. I went with the Air Bag setup from Firestone and I love it. Great product.

emoddriver

Thanks for the input!

Regarding the loads, they arent beyond the capacity of the truck or springs its just that when all the junk is in for a trip the rear squats a bit more than the front does and sits a bit nose-up. Given the condition of the stock springs its likely I will see an improvement with some new ones and not need a higher rate.

It looks like I will go that route and if necessary add an overload spring.

Thanks again,

-Mark

A bloke in my local area makes custom springs i got him to make a variable rate pack for me, that way when loaded it enagaged more srings but with nothing on it didnt ride like a mule, i had and wont buy airbags again as they limit your articulation

Ala5ka

VX'er
ProComp offers an add a leaf that mounts on top of the main leaf pack under that first helper spring and connects via longer middle bolt so you don't need new u bolts, hope that helps

so more tlike these ones on my 3 tonner

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

i've got to put 1.5 tonne on it before the overrides engage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal