Leveling for Camping

stever1000

What are everyones tips and tricks for leveling their truck or 4runner when camping offroad on uneven surfaces? I find with the weight of my girlfriend and I, the suspension flexes and the 4runner (2000) doesn't stay level.

I have tried blocks as well as local grading to drop the one side of the axle, but I still can't get it perfectly level side to side. I use a bubble level and its noticable enough when lying down. I have a sleeping platform in the back and when on a level surface, the bubble level reads perfect.

I have also considered buying air bags and airing them up independently. One side could be inflated and the other side left with minimal pressure. The higher pressure side would help push to the other side when we climb in - is this true?

Thanks in advance!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
How much are we talking? I find using my Hi-Lift under a slider works well for leveling out a few inches and preventing sway. For more than is practical this way I use 4x4 and 2x4 cribbing, which I carry for recovery and stuff like this.

zidaro

Explorer
i use blocks and rocks under tires to level. always keeping front (head of bed) slightly higher. Gotta KISS!!

Choff

Adventurer
I Have used my air bags to level-independent lines to each side helps- or wood blocking also

Choff

Adventurer
Stever1000
I can lift one side or the other about 1 to 3 inches with air bags, bags can go from 5 lbs of air to 90 lbs of air

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I recently picked up these levelling blocks. Haven't used them yet, but they should do the trick nicely.
I use those. They do work pretty good. even though it only looks like 2-3 inches of lift, a stack of 2 of those will make a pretty big difference. It obviously won't correct parking on a steep hill but it can level out a meadow or roadside clearing.

The ones I got were from Wallmart but it's the same idea of stacking "legos".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3