Lift Kit for Enclosed Cargo Trailer

Jeffrey68

I am looking to build an off road expedition trailer. My main concern is making it off road worthy for ground clearance and I'm looking for suggestions on adding height to a cargo trailer. Something like the picture below.

P1000734.jpg

ericvs

It is probably a solid axle with leaf springs? Could you not just do some lift blocks then you could run bigger tires? Maybe re figure the fenders?

Jeffrey68

I suppose I could do lots of different things in this case. I'm looking for someone who may have done something similar. To paint a better picture. The trailer I am looking at lifting is 14' x 7'. I can do pretty much everything from the electrical to the plumbing and the other little things. This is the one thing I really have no clue on.

TwinStick

Explorer
Many trailers have the axle mounted over the leaf springs. By doing a "axle flip" and mounting the axle under the leaf springs, it will give you some lift.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
You have many options. Lift blocks work just like any other block suspension lift. But I suggest sourcing some new leaf springs and longer shackles/front hanger with larger tires. The longer springs you can fit the better.

Or if you're lucky and your trailer is a spring-under-axle you can just flip it to a spring-over-axle. But in doing that, make sure you don't just literally flip the axle. Over time the axle will have a natural curve to it (some even come like it) so weld on some new spring perches.

But once you lift you have to think about center of gravity. Trailers will always have a higher center of gravity than your tow vehicle. Think smart about weight distribution. For instance, I lifted my trailer and it has a 40" tall box on it with a RTT and awning on top, but at the same time I put a 65" axle under it to widen the track (originally had 48"), I have an aux battery at each side, jerry can and propane on each side, all mounted as low possible all as far to the sides as possible.

You also have to match your spring rate to minimize bouncing or bottoming out. But most importantly, just use common sense. Sometimes accidents happen but 99% of the time they're avoidable. Drive slower, take different lines if you're off road, have a spotter, etc. Again, make sure your springs are properly matched to the weight and the weight is properly distributed within the trailer and as low as possible. And if you can, install some simple shocks to the setup.

Simons

Adventurer
Can you post pictures of the actual trailer, including pictures of the current suspension. Some cargo trailers run torsion axles, some run rubber block, some have drop axles, some have shackles, some have slipper springs, many variables.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
My trailer, from the factory, had a 4" drop axle. I think a lot do that. So All I had to do to change from a smaller 14" wheel with 28.5" tires to 35's is put a straight axle on and flip it to under the suspension.

to

Don

-

Jeffrey68

Sorry guys. No pictures yet. Its not purchased. The company said they could do some mods. Just not sure exactly what just yet. These are some good ideas up to now. You guys are making it sound easier then it probably is. Lol. Thanks Elmo. That picture is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

trail-explorer

Adventurer
Someone here had a lil green Wells Cargo 5x8 that he lifted. I will dig around for the thread.

The trailer you are looking it, did you mean 7x14? (7 wide, 14 long?)

I've never heard of a trailer being describe with the length before the width (14x7)

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
These are some good ideas up to now. You guys are making it sound easier then it probably is. Lol. Thanks Elmo. That picture is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Honestly, at a basic level, it is that easy. As long as you don't mind spending the money, all you have to do is measure your current axle with wheels off, order a new axle with the same measurements and setup you need (spring pad on top/bottom, straight or drop, etc), and have it delivered to your door. It literally took me about 30 minutes to swap out the axle using a floor jack, jack stands, and a 1/2" ratchet. Lots of people here can help you get the order correct, and the rest is very straight forward. Ask questions, all the info is here somewhere.

Get it done and start using it.

Don

-

PS.. Thanks for the compliments on the Bronco, Simons...

Jeffrey68

hahahaha. Thanks. Thats just my typing. And yes I meant 7x14.

And thanks again elmo. I can't wait to get started on this thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicotoup