Locker only works in low range doesn't it?

Gruni14

Observer
I almost never use low range, is there a 'hack' owners do to be able to engage l/r in 4 HI under a certain speed?

M/G

KK6POV

Adventurer
I am sure there is a way to do it, for us in 1st Gen Tacos, and 3rd Gen 4runners you only need to cut a single wire. If you were to find wiring tables then you should be able to do the same. I know that wasn't much help but it is totally possible.

noahski

There should be a way to do it. In my Xterra I did a little rewiring in the differential lock control unit. Now it's lockable in 2wd, 4hi and 4lo. Check a forum specific for your vehicle. I found the write up for mine at Thenewx

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
If you can decipher a wiring diagram, you can do it. Download your FSM, find the section. It will probably be a matter of cutting a wire (like the Toyotas) of making jumper to bypass some terminals either on the T-case shifter (preferred, clean&dry) or t-case itself (less optimal- wet&dirty)

ha could have SWORN i was in the jeep section. this is what happens when I look at the new posts tab. yeah I dont know ******** about mitzuz

Gruni14

Observer
by design it limits it to 4lo and under 20 miles an hour.

That was my understanding too, or something along these lines. So, it works when the center diff is locked ....but only when the switch is turned on, right? Ok, I think I got it. thanks

nckwltn

Explorer
yes, only works with center diff lock on. Although the center diff lock is actually a mechanical thing you engage with the lever, the locker won't work unless you've got that light lit up. For mine, if I don't use the center diff lock for a while, it might take a few hundred yards of driving before it will light up. Normally when I go out on the trails for the day (or longer), I will have to engage the center diff lock as soon as I hit dirt so that everything can fall into place and engage... however, and the end of the trip, I can put it into center diff lock at any moment, and it'll work right away.

It just needs exercised.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Ground the detent that inhibits the locker or hardwire the locker bypassing the locker computer.

nckwltn

Explorer
A tip I read when starting out 4x4ing was to use 2wd until you get stuck, then use 4wd to get you out and home. Especially if you're out alone and have limited self recovery gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven