Looking at Disco II on Craigslist what should I know?

Ristin

My wife really wants a Defender 90 but the least expensive one I've ever seen is the brand new one I didn't buy in the mid 90's.....

I know next to nothing about Land Rovers in general other than what I've read on this forum. My wife found a 2002 Discovery II Kalahari Edition with 160k miles on it. In the advert the Seller claims it was one of only 150 produced. Looks good in the tiny Craigslist pictures and the seller raves that a nicer unit won't be found. Has a 4" lift, rock sliders and nice big tires.
First off, is the price in or out of line. Couldn't find anything on Kelly Blue book about Kalahari ed. but a regular Discovery II of that year and mileage comes in about half the sellers asking price. Of course value comes down to what someone is willing to pay, but....

Assuming average care and average use what mechanical gremlins are awaiting me at that mileage. Am I looking at a tranny soon, head gasket, CV joints, etc etc?

If I go look at it, what are problem areas I should check. Are they prone to rust and are certain body parts more susceptible?

Thanks

RobG4

Observer
I would suggest at a minimum, take a creeper with you when you go see the vehicle and spend some time under the truck with a flashlight or headlamp. Don't feel rushed or get all excited about how good it looks. Stay under the truck for a while and go over it closely to look for rust and leaks. Especially rust. Take a screw driver and remove the trim pieces around the door, pull up the carpets and the padding, and check for rust.

You didn't list the price, but from your description it already sounds way overpriced if it is twice what similar models are selling for.

You can still find much lower mileage on DII's if you are patient. Heck wait for one with less thank 100k.

Am I looking at a tranny soon, head gasket, CV joints, etc etc?

Yes - but true at any mileage

#1 Question...does the seller have detailed service records showing that maintenance has be thorough? If not, I would walk away.

How much does he want for it? IMO, a fixed up or special Disco is not worth much more, if anything more than a standard model. I would not pay much for any Disco. There are so many out there for sale and they don't sell well, many deals to be had.

A 2002 is missing the center diff lock, if you are going to go off road, you will want to add this.

DII's eat front CV-driveshafts. When they go they take out the transmission, $5k repair bill. These must be replaced asap on a 160k mile truck, might already be done.

At 160k miles, if head gaskets have not been done recently, it will need them soon. Head gasket failures are inevitable on Disco's. Not a huge issue if you can DIY it. Plan on a $1000+ repair if you can't do it.

The cooling system are suspect on these trucks, if it has not been maintained properly, expect to replace at least the radiator.

Buying from a private party, I would expect good maintenance records. Low ball them with no records, or run away.

A 4.0l with "big tires" is going to be a turd on the highway and up any roads with elevation change. I have a DI with a 2" lift and 235/85/16's and it is a dog, but I still love it:)

If were to purchase another Disco (which I would if I felt a need or desire for one) it would be another DI or a 2004. 2004's have the 4.6l, more modern DII creature comforts and a center diff lock. If this is going to be an every day grocery getter truck, I would lean towards the 04'. If you are wanting to build something more for off road travel I would go with a DI - simpler systems, not as much rear overhang, less stuff to break. If you are set on purchasing a DII make sure you are aware of the "three amigos" A quick web search should fill you in on this one.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
My wife really wants a Defender 90 but the least expensive one I've ever seen is the brand new one I didn't buy in the mid 90's.....

I know next to nothing about Land Rovers in general other than what I've read on this forum. My wife found a 2002 Discovery II Kalahari Edition with 160k miles on it. In the advert the Seller claims it was one of only 150 produced. Looks good in the tiny Craigslist pictures and the seller raves that a nicer unit won't be found. Has a 4" lift, rock sliders and nice big tires.
First off, is the price in or out of line. Couldn't find anything on Kelly Blue book about Kalahari ed. but a regular Discovery II of that year and mileage comes in about half the sellers asking price. Of course value comes down to what someone is willing to pay, but....

Assuming average care and average use what mechanical gremlins are awaiting me at that mileage. Am I looking at a tranny soon, head gasket, CV joints, etc etc?

If I go look at it, what are problem areas I should check. Are they prone to rust and are certain body parts more susceptible?

Thanks

How much are they asking for it? If it is in good shape could be worth around $4500. Less if it hasn't had the head gaskets redone, wasn't regeared for the larger tires, etc.

For my money, I would be looking at an 03-04 Disco 2.5, much better vehicle and will be around the same price.

Ristin

Thanks for the replies. After I slept on it I realized it is way over priced at $8250 (seller states Reduced price for quick sale)
It will be mainly the wife's grocery getter and weekend close to home exploration unit.
I decided while the Kalahari paint scheme looks cool it's not worth the $$$ and the other stuff I can add like lift and roof racks and so on.

I hadn't heard of the three amigos before. Spent some time reading up on that.

If you want a Disco, buy an 04' for a grocery getter. You should be able to find a nice one with low miles for less than the asking price of the 02' you described - which is way over priced. I can't offer any help on the price without knowing more about it, but I have never seen an 02' DII I would give that kind of money for, unless maybe it had a nice diesel conversion. If you are looking for a cool rover with some personality, you might want to consider a Range Rover Classic, nice trucks!

LR Max

Local Oaf
Spend extra $$$$. Procure LR3. Make wife super happy. Be uber comfortable off road. Lift with johnson rods (cheap and quick lift).

Win.

evilfij

Explorer
In five years the DII will be worthless. In five years the D90 will be worth what you paid for it.

Spend 25k and get a nice d90

DefendersNW

Observer
In five years the DII will be worthless. In five years the D90 will be worth what you paid for it.

Spend 25k and get a nice d90

I'm glad someone finally said it... The Disco and Defender won't be far apart in maintenance costs, and if all she does is grocery runs then the D-90 in stock form will hold its value much better - if you find the right one it may even appreciate.

Exploder
An '02 D2 for more than four or five grand had better be perfect, with a stack of receipts.

Bruinlad

Bruinlad KJ6UHU
Look for the dreaded three amigos all lit on the dash when you're looking into purchasing a used discovery, in particular a Disco 2. Google it and you'll see what it means!

GaAlpinaowner

Adventurer

Thanks

D90 hands down....restore it and watch what you can sell it for...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven