Looking to buy first landcruiser?

whitecon

Observer
I am looking to buy my first Landcruiser. Ive been lurking on this forum for a while trying to learn the basics.
First: I'm tring to decide between a 97 40th edition with 99,000mi for $12500and a white 01 with 96,00mi for $16k.
Obviously less expensive is better for the wallet but I would like to know what to look for (problem areas) in both? Reliability is the biggest factor for me. I know the 100 series is a bit more plush on the inside for the wife.
I have a highly modded Rubicon LJ so I don't think I'll be installing much more than a OME lift with 33's. But that's what i said when i got my Rubicon so i know how that go's:sombrero:

dclee

Observer
Do some research on the 80 and 100 Series sections of the IH8MUD forum. Everything you need to know is there. BTW, what will be your primary uses for the truck? Long distance expeditions? Rock-crawling over the Rubicon? Daily driving and soccer practice? That will help us narrow down our recommendations.

ScottyDog

Adventurer
I bet you if you by an 80 you'll be selling your jeep shortly after :peepwall:[/QUOTE said:
I would have to agree..:sombrero: I sold my modded XJ and bought a slightly modded 80. Best decision I've made in a long time....:wings:

whitecon

Observer
I would have to agree..:sombrero: I sold my modded XJ and bought a slightly modded 80. Best decision I've made in a long time....:wings:

Not a chance!! No 80 series will ever replace my 06 LJ Rubicon on 37's. I'm just looking to add something else to my arsenal. The wife will be driving the Landcruiser on a daily basis but don't let that fool you. She prefers to drive the jeep when possible. Its just that we have a new addition to the family and even though our 8 month old loves the Jeep, its just not set up for that.
I definately want the Landcruiser to be set up for an expeditionary vehicle. I will definately be installing front and rear bumpers, sliders, and a winch, as well as 33's. Probably won't go much bigger than that.

haven

Expedition Leader
I fixed the title ("frist landcruiser?") for you.
Since you already have a jeep for wheeling,
I'd recommend the 100 series. It has lots
more room for family stuff.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
"...I definately want the Landcruiser to be set up for an expeditionary vehicle. I will definately be installing front and rear bumpers, sliders, and a winch, as well as 33's. Probably won't go much bigger than that."

That's what we ALL thought at one time :Wow1:.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I also HAD a Rubicon with lift tires winch etc etc. Now I will be happily loving an 80 with ARBs and 35s...

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Since you already have a jeep for wheeling,
I'd recommend the 100 series. It has lots
more room for family stuff.

I agree.

That's what we ALL thought at one time :Wow1:.

Ain't that the truth.

If you really want to keep it at 33's, then again, I would recommend the 100. 80's have lifts available up to 6"/37's that make it very tempting. I have slee 4" lift with 35's on my 80.

100's are limited to 2-3", and Spressomon, can attest to how much harder/expensive it is to go up from there. He does have 35's on his, but is wasn't as easy to do as putting 35's on an 80.

Keep the Jeep for the hardcore stuff and keep the 100 for long distance/DD/expedition type stuff and keep the tires at no bigger than 33's.

JMHO.

Jack

tacollie

Glamper
I say the 100. 34s fit on them with room for chains and they are very capable as long as they fit on the trail. They are great vehicles. My brothers 2001 has been abused and has 277k and has shown no signs of quitting.

whitecon

Observer
Thanks for all the info and opinions regarding 80's vs 100's but I still would like to know what to look out for when purchasing a used Landcruiser in those years. If the link that was given to IH8MUD has it in there, I'm not a member and can't view anything on their site. Are there any links that somebody could point me to on this forum? Sorry, but I'm already on way to many forums.

Edit: Found some generic inspection info a few posts down. Thanks

Last edited:

brentbba

Explorer
Join Mud anyway - it is by far the best site to learn about landcruisers in the world! $12500 is high even for a well maintained '97 with lockers.

If it's the wifes and no more than 33's is ok, you'd probably enjoy the power and comfort of the 100 over the 80. All that being said, 15 years of cruiser ownership with my 80 have been wonderful and I hope to have her for another 15 years too!

a.mus.ed

Explorer
Join Mud anyway - it is by far the best site to learn about landcruisers in the world!

X2. If you are going to own a Land Cruiser there is no replacement forum for the wealth of knowledge on ih8mud, no offense to anyone around here:). Consider it a requirement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl