Lowrance Globalmap 1600 - Still have any use left?

usnrigger

Observer
I was talking with a buddy who has a Lowrance Globalmap 1600 - I thought about seeing what he wanted and throwing it in my FJ60. I guess my main concern is if maps are even supported by some means still, im sure Lowrance doesn't support software. Thought maybe some other map provider had software that will not cost me a arm and a leg.

Also what maps did this come standard with?

thought it could be a cheap way to get a plotter in the truck, and I don't care about color all that much

rayra

Expedition Leader
Seems kinda bulky even if it comes free. And the antenna is separate and also big, but you might be able to use a modern small square antenna you can stick on the top edge of the unit or in your windshield.

Quick google search though seems to indicate its charts can't be updated and the unit is 16-17yrs old. That would be a deal killer for me even if it was free. You can get a used 2nd gen iPad for well under $200 now and have access to fresh data and so much more and use it for entertainment at night. and have a bigger screen, the same rough overall footprint and very little depth compared to the lowrance unit.

Or you could even get a Google Chromebook laptop new under $200 and have it do damned near everything.

There's so many affordable tablet options these days as well. As well as many mounting options, for pretty low cost and many different uses all in one package.

R0014782.jpg

eta there are also two big subforums here on GPS/Tablets and navigation, a wealth of solutions there, across a wide price range.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
A google chromebook is useless for an expedition unit. it HAS TO HAVE internet connectivity to work. I windows tablet, laptop or an android tablet would be a better bet.

rayra

Expedition Leader
They have an offline ability. But the 'cheap' aspect of the suggestion still holds. Lots of windows laptops in the ~$200 range. The meta point is that there are current / new hardware solutions, that perform a wealth of tasks, for very little money. That would be far superior solutions to the 17yr-old chart machine.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Please explain, Everything I have read, and tried with one needs internet to do anything. As it's web based. There are actually no programs you load, only run via chrome browser. I would like to know what you can do with them offline. I would be more interested in them and trying one. Acer has a new windows based notebook coming out in 11" and 14" starting at 169.99.

WUzombies

Adventurer
I run an iPad mini with a Bad Elf GPS dongle, running Topo and the Garmin app. Works like a champ, easy to update and requires no connectivity to work (although I have a wilson cell repeater mounted too).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues