LR3/4 second battery (deep cycle) option

srschick

Adventurer
Just got a Traxide set up, now need to get the second battery.
Always thought Optima yellow top was the boss, but there's conflicting reports in the past few year on their reliability.

What's the current leader in the deep cycle battery race?

And what size will fit in the second battery spot?

zelatore

Explorer
In the marine world, when one of my clients asks for a top of the line deep cycle AGM battery my go-to is Life Line. http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/

On this forum, Odyssey seems to be a favorite. This is also the same as the DieHard Platinum AGM, at least in the common group 31 size.

Unfortunately I doubt you have room for a gp31. I'm not sure what size the Traxide set up is designed around - perhaps you can find some literature on the web?

Last edited:

srschick

Adventurer
from what I've found, the Optima 34 or 34/78 is a good fit, so I'm guess the DH Platinum 34/78 is the one to go with?
I thought the Odyssey/DHP was not a strict "deep cycle" but more of a hybrid between that and a starter battery?

racehorse

Adventurer
I have the yellow top; another lr3 owner I know has an odyssey. I haven't been thrilled with the battery as an aux using the traxide kit. Umberto has a different opinion as we had once discussed but I really think there is an issue with how the traxide operates and charges the batteries. It never (rarely) cuts out the main cranking battery and allows the secondary to recharge so the secondary is usually at 11.8, 11.7v consistently. I know one other member with the odyssey had this issue, too with our club. We thought it had less to do with the battery and more to do with either how charged the main cranker was before it began charging the aux or whether it was an alternator issue. Not an electronics expert at all, so maybe others have good experience. I forget the fella's name with the avatar and the camera but what he said (he seems very schooled in electronics and theory) seemed to resonate in explaining the shortcomings of the traxide system. Or, maybe I just need a new pair of batteries!

umbertob

Adventurer
I have been monitoring both my cranking (no longer the factory, flooded Varta crapola that lasted me barely a year, I have switched to an Exide Edge AGM L5/49/H8) and the Optima Yellow Top auxiliary, and they seem to stay consistently and evenly charged in my experience, both ranging from 12.5 to 12.7V pretty much every time I check them. It could be that both are AGM batteries, I am afraid I am no expert either but since taking out the stock cell I have had no complaints about the performance of both batteres, and I guess of the Traxide module that keeps them ticking.

DVD

Adventurer
Hi umbertob, I have the traxide and optima yellow for 2ndary too. I'm going to need a new primary. The online guides suggest a different Exide than yours. Is yours the Exide Edge FP-AGML5/49? Want to make sure I get the right size.

umbertob

Adventurer
Online guides may recommend a L4/94R/H7 replacement for the LR4, which is the matching size of the OEM battery installed at the factory. A size L5/49/H8 is about 1.5" longer and a few pounds heavier, but the same width and height. So, it fits on the battery tray without any issues or modification required (at least on LR3s, RRS and LR4s up to MY13, not sure about newer models with the stop/start system) and has better all-around numbers than the smaller H7. Yes, that's the Exide model I got for my 2013.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
The bad news: I'm on my 4th yellow top, they die every 30 months. If they freeze, no reviving

The good news: I've only paid for the 1st of the 4. I've gotten warrantee on 3 (not the intent of the warrantee but local parts store does me a favor)

All my new batteries are/will be Sears Marine platinum

jerdog53

Explorer
I have the Group 34 Yellow Top in mine with the Traxide 160 Kit but have only had it in for 4 months so can't really speak to longevity yet and it lives indoors at night so no freezing.

bri

Adventurer
Optima are pieces of junk -- plain and simple. Blue, Yellow, Red does not matter. They are the only battery I have had fail under normal operation. The amount of people that I know that relied on the Optima name to have them fail is amazing.

Replacing them as mentioned prior in this thread is the norm. I did 3 and then asked for and recieved my money back.

I have tended to Duralast, just because they really held up well on my superduty. I would likely go Interstate for something with 4x4 and winch.

Last edited:

ColoDisco

Explorer
Resurrecting this thread as I am getting ready to add a second battery setup. No one mentions it but did you get another tie down bracket for the drivers side box? There are mounts in there. I am looking at the blue sea smart relay and a blue sea auxillary fuse box to easily manage my accessories. Probably doing a standard battery as there is a winch in my future and I want to have both batteries available. Also plan on running a fridge freezer when on trips. Thoughts? Anyone done a setup like this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckshotiii