LR3 gas tank capacity?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
So the LR'3 fuel tank is supposed to be 22 gallons however every time I go to fill up from empty I can only put in 16. Even with the Low fuel light on. Is it possible the 32" tire have thrown off the fuel gauge? Dose anyone else have any idea? Maybe jammed fuel cut off valve? Also Ray or anyone else with big tire. What's is your average MPG?

Last edited:

ryandavenport

Adventurer
What is the level of the fuel gauge when you put more fuel in? I believe the light comes on at 1/8 of a tank left, which means it would hold approximately 18 gallons from there. I put 18 gallons in ours today with the low fuel light on. The tires wont throw off the fuel gauge, but they will throw off the average fuel mileage which will throw off the distance to empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
It reads full at that point. But just even with the line. Not above it like in my wife's LR3.

ryandavenport

Adventurer
It reads full at that point. But just even with the line. Not above it like in my wife's LR3.

Sorry, should have explained a little better. Before you put fuel in, what does the fuel gauge look like? Have you checked the bottom of the tank for dents related to off highway travel?

Ray_G

Explorer
Bizarre. I have had my fuel light on twice this weekend and put 21gal in ea time.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Yes I have looked for dents but. It looks just like my wife gas tank that never been on anything harder than a forest service road. And it's down mere empty but I never push the tank past 30 miles to empty.

Last edited:

Exploder
I've found that I have at least twenty miles range in reserve after the range shows 0. Even then, I've never pumped more than 22 gallons to refill.

If you're fueling at 30 miles to empty, you probably still have at least four gallons left.

Exploder
I wouldn't recommend running it until it dies. This is just a guess, but the pump may act up if you do that. Run it until the range reads 0 and then fill up. I bet you'll get 18-20 gallons in it. Meaning you have 22.8 minus that as your 0 range reserve.

What range are you getting out of a tank? What is the average MPG?

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
Fuel level sending unit failures are pretty common. You can test them with a DVOM, but you will have to at a minimum remove the fuel tank. Fortunately the fuel tank is easy to remove, unfortunately the front sending unit is next to impossible to reach. For testing purposes you can drain the tank and take the reading of the senders with them still in the tank by just flipping the tank upside down. They should read from about 50 ohms to 900 ohms.

morrisdl

Adventurer
I occasionally have the opposite but maybe related problem. Mine will only read 3/4 full after filling up (19+ gal according to the pump). I run a bottle of techron fuel system cleaner about once a year to fix mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach