M104 trailer

BigC69

My friend just sold me his M104 trailer project he was working on. I'm not looking to make major modifications on it but it needs new tires. Looked all over the internet and everyone changes out the axle. I just want new wheels and tires for it. Has anyone done this without a axle swap? I was thinking 17 inch wheels and 37x10 tires.

4lowdean

Observer
The M104 is a 1.5 ton rated trailer. So you'll need some pretty beefy tires for it. So check for heavy commercial truck tires, or even semi-trailer tires.

old_CWO

There's a really good reason why most people change the axle...

I would check with military truck and surplus vendors like Boyce equipment for wheel/tire stuff. Stockton Wheel in California also does some military lug wheel conversions. They might be able to make a wheel that would accept a more common tire if you're stuck on keeping the axle.

I helped a friend "civilize" an M105 once. We actually just got rid of the chassis and welded spring hangers and an A frame tongue straight to the bed. It was still stupid strong and heavy as the steel is really stout on those. Basically it became a uni-body trailer which lowered it down quite a bit and fit behind the F250 a lot better. He used an electric brake 5.2K axle in spring over configuration with standard off the shelf trailer springs. It was intended as a firewood hauler and boy did it deliver!

Back then the M105s were still going for $50-$100 at auction so it was a little more tempting to mess with them.

BigC69

There's a really good reason why most people change the axle...

I would check with military truck and surplus vendors like Boyce equipment for wheel/tire stuff. Stockton Wheel in California also does some military lug wheel conversions. They might be able to make a wheel that would accept a more common tire if you're stuck on keeping the axle.

I helped a friend "civilize" an M105 once. We actually just got rid of the chassis and welded spring hangers and an A frame tongue straight to the bed. It was still stupid strong and heavy as the steel is really stout on those. Basically it became a uni-body trailer which lowered it down quite a bit and fit behind the F250 a lot better. He used an electric brake 5.2K axle in spring over configuration with standard off the shelf trailer springs. It was intended as a firewood hauler and boy did it deliver!

Back then the M105s were still going for $50-$100 at auction so it was a little more tempting to mess with them.
Thanks for the information I'll see about those wheels. But if not then I might just go with the flow and replace the axle. I retire in a couple of months and that's my project now to rebuild it and put it to good use. I served as a 44E in the Army and we would rebuild these trailers all the time. It brings back good memories.

BigC69

The M104 is a 1.5 ton rated trailer. So you'll need some pretty beefy tires for it. So check for heavy commercial truck tires, or even semi-trailer tires.
I think semi tires would be a good choice. I just want something so I can use it now. After doing more research and watching more videos on YouTube I definitely want to get rid of those split rims.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicotoup