M105 Trailer Build

TrailerDude

Alright, I just got my M105 trailer in and I'm ready to start, now what?

In short the only reason I went for the m105 instead of the smaller framed trailers is because I got this trailer for next to nothing. Literally nothing to me.With that being said, this is a big boy so I'm planning on cleaning it up a bit and shedding some weight. First thing I need help on though are the tires and wheels? The trailer is almost level with my truck bed and I'd like to bring it down a bit. Should I swap axles out or keep the larger military axle underneath it? Thoughts from anyone who has ever worked on or with these trailers would be greatly appreciated.

Also it looks like it has the original air brakes, not sure if the brakes work or not yet but should I just take them out and help shed the weight a little there?

Thanks for the help, this should be fun.

image1.jpg

Martyinco

Adventurer
Well if you want to shed weight, the best and quickest place to start is with those axles that are under there

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
The brakes are air assisted hydraulic and made for the 2 1/2 ton truck, they wouldn't work without a lot of parts from the deuce. Looks like somebody already took off the landing gear. Maybe get a #5000 Dexter axle with electric brakes, which will let you remove that drop hitch. I've got a couple 105s and you're right, they are big dudes!

TrailerDude

Would you replace the leaf springs also? I do like the space underneath the trailer though. I was planning on putting a water tank and battery bank underneath the trailer, but as it sits I have PLENTY of room. I could sit under the trailer as is and work comfortably on it without having to jack it up.

Martyinco

Adventurer
Would you replace the leaf springs also? I do like the space underneath the trailer though. I was planning on putting a water tank and battery bank underneath the trailer, but as it sits I have PLENTY of room. I could sit under the trailer as is and work comfortably on it without having to jack it up.

Unless the leafs are showing lots of sag or wear, there really is no reason to change them, especially if you like the height that you already have.

TrailerDude

I saw this on another forum, thought it was a perfect solution to my problem when it comes to axle and leaf springs. He used a 4inch drop on his axles, kept the leaf springs the same, and had to thread his U-Bolts another inch to make up for the difference in axle height. I might only go with a 2inch drop on the axle instead of the 4inch (larger tires than his toyota). This will also allow me to run the same lug pattern as the truck too, that way I wont have to have different size spare tires all over the place.

Drop down axles.JPG

Maybe get a #5000 Dexter axle with electric brakes
Why the Dexter axle? Any other axle recommendations?

tarditi

Explorer
I saw this on another forum, thought it was a perfect solution to my problem when it comes to axle and leaf springs. He used a 4inch drop on his axles, kept the leaf springs the same, and had to thread his U-Bolts another inch to make up for the difference in axle height. I might only go with a 2inch drop on the axle instead of the 4inch (larger tires than his toyota). This will also allow me to run the same lug pattern as the truck too, that way I wont have to have different size spare tires all over the place.

View attachment 355186

Why the Dexter axle? Any other axle recommendations?

Dexter is a good brand name - lots of options if you want hubs to match primary mover, etc.

TrailerDude

Ok, I'll look into Dexter. I put a call into them already and they sent me over their axle ordering form. I was also considering a cargo slide for the trailer, thoughts on this?

Martyinco

Adventurer
Ok, I'll look into Dexter. I put a call into them already and they sent me over their axle ordering form. I was also considering a cargo slide for the trailer, thoughts on this?

If I could afford it, I would have a cargo slide in my trailer yesterday! :wings: Maybe someday it will be part of my upgrades lol

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
2750 dry is a lot of trailer to start. taking off every piece not used and every bolt too will lighten the load some.
A new axle with matching rollers to the truck will drop pounds as will losing the overload springs too.
Many have dropped them lower and swapped axles.

Most tire places cringe on split rims too.

Sell the extra parts on craigslist and make some $$ back

TrailerDude

A couple updates, I'm doing this on a budget.... we all know how those go. Anyways, had a little time today and removed all the brake components and gutted everything out from underneath the trailer. I'll post a couple pics tomorrow. For the time being the axle is going to have to stay the same but will end up going the Dexter route. I plan on tossing all the split rim wheels and going for a solid wheel with semi tires (I already have one, just need one more). Next, I'll be removing all the unnecessary pieces of metal, and cleaning it up. It goes to the weld shop on the 31st to be cleaned up a bit and some new additions to be added.

Sidebar... So far, pretty impressed with the trailer. I can't say much about the other trailers like the m101, m416, etc., but this trailer is built solid. The frame is super heavy duty... emphasis on heavy!!! but still, it's solid. The bed is actually in great shape, no rust damage at all, the paint must have been super thick when they coated this. The frame is straight, the only thing wrong with this trailer is a sub par weld job on the drop down off the tongue and the rear tailgate only closes shut on the right and not the left. Other than that, it's a well built trailer. Just big.

I'll throw up some pics of everything tomorrow.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Like to see what you end up doing with this trailer.

In regard to axles, how about these?

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Axles/Timbren/ASR1200S01.html

ASR1200S01_01_0016_1000.jpg

TrailerDude

As promised, power outage yesterday, but completely gutted the underneath of all bolt on brake assembly components.

IMG_4410.jpg

IMG_4414.jpg

IMG_4413.jpg

Last edited:

TrailerDude

Ok, here is what I'm thinking so far. The first image is how I want the layout to be, the next three images are of the shell top, the last image is of the tongue and how I want that to be set up (with the addition of a propane can).

Layout.jpg

IMG_4420.jpg

IMG_4421.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

Tongue.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicotoup