Mahindra news and some specs

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
:wings:
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/mahindra/dieselhybridandmore.html

"Mahindra promises the truck will be able to carry a very sizeable 1.3-ton (2,600-lb) payload in its 7.5-foot cargo box."

"The diesel-only truck will use a slightly modified version of Mahindra's recently introduced 'mHawk' 2.2-liter inline four cylinder diesel engine..."

"...U.S. version of the mHawk will have power ratings in the range of 145-horsepower to 150-horsepower and approximately 300 pound-feet of torque, though the numbers haven't been finalized."

"I was just advised that by 2010 we'll have a diesel hybrid pickup (for sale in the US market). It will be available for the two-door and four-door pickups, and the SUV,"
:jumping:

gary in ohio

Explorer
Now they just need to start building them, heck at least decide where they are going to build them. 2009 isnt that far away and they dont even have a factory?

98sr5

Observer
i cant wait this sounds like an awesome product i think they are already offered in australia

madizell

Explorer
I have never been a fan of diesel, only because I don't like they way the exhaust smells (its a mental association that is complicated), but this actually sounds like a good deal all around if they can keep the price under $30K. With a payload that high, one must assume it will have durable axles under it. Let's see what happens.

gary in ohio

Explorer
madizell said:
I have never been a fan of diesel, only because I don't like they way the exhaust smells (its a mental association that is complicated), but this actually sounds like a good deal all around if they can keep the price under $30K. With a payload that high, one must assume it will have durable axles under it. Let's see what happens.

The only way Mahindra is going to survive is to be cheaper. Why would anyone in the US spend as much or more for a Mahindra when you can get a Toyota that will be as good if not better. The diesel would be nice but it alone isnt going to sell the Mahindra to the masses. Yea, I want a diesel, but I am not going to pay a premium for it. The diesel is also going to need to be high MPG to offset the diesel/gas price difference.

I am waiting, but not sure they are going to hit the mark. They started as a nitch market truck, now they want to be a main player. Last thing we need is another small suv or truck with 13 cup holders and 200 watt sound system.
I want a TRUCK, I want a UTILITY vehicle.

theMec

Adventurer
madizell said:
With a payload that high, one must assume it will have durable axles under it.

This is supposedly a tacoma size vehicle with a F350/ 3500 size payload - maybe for in town driving but no way for more than 50 mph.

I'm pretty psyched about this vehicle. If true, this Indian company has balls AND a market niche that may make the US & Japanese sweat. Competition is good!

gary in ohio said:
The only way Mahindra is going to survive is to be cheaper. Why would anyone in the US spend as much or more for a Mahindra when you can get a Toyota that will be as good if not better. The diesel would be nice but it alone isnt going to sell the Mahindra to the masses. Yea, I want a diesel, but I am not going to pay a premium for it. The diesel is also going to need to be high MPG to offset the diesel/gas price difference.

Gary, I have to say I don't agree. Lot's of people are buying hybrids at a premium because it's better for the environment. I'd buy the Mahindra if I was in the market for a vehicle of that size. Toyota vehicles aren't know for their mpgs once above sedan size vehicles. Also 30-35 mpg is at least 10-15 more mpg than a Tacoma. That is SIGNIFICANT!

gary in ohio

Explorer
mestaghman said:
Gary, I have to say I don't agree. Lot's of people are buying hybrids at a premium because it's better for the environment. I'd buy the Mahindra if I was in the market for a vehicle of that size. Toyota vehicles aren't know for their mpgs once above sedan size vehicles. Also 30-35 mpg is at least 10-15 more mpg than a Tacoma. That is SIGNIFICANT!

Maybe for a hybird but not a diesels, A diesel or a gas on E85 is not a hybird vehicle. Since I have to see an official MPG rating, its just speculation what the Mpg will be. If you can get 35mpg out of a 1 ton truck, The BIG three would have been doing it long ago.

2.2-liter inline four cylinder diesel engine and a 1 ton payload!!! something not right. The 30-35mpg didnt sound like it was for the first truck but for some future vehicle.

I am hoping they do well and force all manufactures to offer diesels . Its going to be slow with the lack of facilities in many ares to handle large volumes of diesel vehicle. I live out in the country and diesel is normal, get into the city and your lucky to find 1 in 5 stations with a diesel pump. reliability is going to also be a big question for the 1st trucks out. Can they live up to there price?
As noted in my last post, I am also hoping they dont americanize it to much and give us just another truck with to many cup holders and to loud a stereo. GIVE me a TRUCK give me a UTILITY vehicle. If I want sports I get a corvette.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
gary in ohio said:
2.2-liter inline four cylinder diesel engine and a 1 ton payload!!! something not right.
What's not right? Toyota had a 1 ton offering for several years with the 2.4 liter 22r and 22re. It rode like an Indian/Harley hardtail when empty, but super low gearing and an extra large radiator made it very capaple for towing and hauling.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
MountainBiker said:
What's not right? Toyota had a 1 ton offering for several years with the 2.4 liter 22r and 22re. It rode like an Indian/Harley hardtail when empty, but super low gearing and an extra large radiator made it very capaple for towing and hauling.

I used to drive one. Tough little truck! Amazing what it could haul.

fisher205

Explorer
The 35mpg is very realistic. My Dad had a Dodge(Mitsubishi) D50 4 cyl turbo diesel 4X4 in the late 80's. I don't recall the displacement but it regularly got mid 30's for fuel mileage. - Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh