MAN 8.136 FAE Wedge brake actuators/cylinders

Snowman1

The front and rear (spring) wedge brake actuators on the 8.136 FAE are both 'obsolete' and hard to source - and rediculously expensive if you manage to find one.
The front cylinder was originally a Haldex/Grau 340053001, now officially unvailable (I found one listed at $570, but 'out of stock').
The rear brake spring cylinder was originally a Knorr BY7136 or BY7138. One was eventually obtained from Germany for about £890 - but it cost over £1000 to get to the UK).

But both these cylinders are available - even in small quantities - from China under the trade name SAND from Jiaxing Shengding Machinery Co.,Ltd . Their sales manager is Mr Sihao Sheng ( sihao@chinasand.cc ). He proved very helpful and was easily persuaded to send me two of each, with prices less than $50 (front) and $150 (rear) (+ carriage). These are exact equivalents of both actuators with certfication 'to TUV and KBA standards from the German Ministry of Transportation'.

Give yourself peace of mind by having spares on the shelf! I'm told that these Knorr spring brake units unfortunately don't have a very good reputation for reliability. Ours locked the handbrake on and could only be released mechanically. Just a leaking seal inside but apparently not 'servicable' so a replacement was essential.

If you're an entrepreneur, order 20 of each (Mr Sheng will be delighted, and they'll be even cheaper!) and make yourself a bomb advertising them on eBay!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner