Mark's '95 fzj80...

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Well, it's said and done. Last weekend I traded my 02 DC Taco for a 1995 TLC. A month ago I was PM'd by a gentleman from SLC, UT for a trade over on mud and after lengthy discussions and many emails we came to an agreement. No, it wasn't an even trade, there was money involved. I think we are both very pleased with the deal.

Here are the specs...

92k miles
typical package (power everything, moonroof, leather...)
OME j springs front(+1" spacer) & rear
firm OME shocks
OME steering stabilizer
caster correction bushings
arb front bumper
piaa 520 lights
warn m10000
custom sliders
kaymar rear bumper
tire/jerry can swing outs
arb lockers f/r
arb compressor
315/75R16 pro comp all terrains
(5)Weld outback 16x10's (these gotta go)
magnaflow muffler (too loud, I might replace it)

The body is very clean, with the exception of the rear driver fender flare (falling off). The engine runs great, no signs of HG failure. I just need to baseline all fluids and go through all other PM's. The front diff leaks oil where the drive shaft flange is. This will be addressed during the regear to 4.88's. Unfortunately the gears are unavailable until mid april... The front axle needs to be rebuilt, the seals are leaking and the knuckle wipers aren't wiping. (At least there's no clicking at full lock) I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this myself, as soon as I muster up the confidence. I just ordered the stuff for it today. That's all that needs to be done to it before I feel comfortable going on any adventures.

How hard was it wheeled?
The PO said he never wheeled it hard. It's had a couple trips to Moab and to colorado. Nothing looks abused. I can tell it's had some trail time but nothing very bad. The frame, sliders and the rest of the undercarriage show very little carnage.

Pictures and more info to follow...

Last edited:

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Maintenance & Mods

So far I have flushed the radiator and transmission.

The radiator had red and green coolant in it, but no signs of deposits. Now it's filled with red toyota coolant and distilled water.

The tranny fluid looked pretty red already but I wanted it done anyways.

This weekend I plan on flushing the brake fluid and power steering fluid.

Drive belts are on their way along with the front axle rebuild kit.

I still need to order the plugs, cap & rotor, PHH and other misc. stuff.

As far as mods go...

Here's a breif, primative list in no particular order.

4.88's as soon as their available
outback drawer system (on its way)
2 pair african outback load bars for the 1600 (on their way)
CDL switch (on its way)
hanna sliders
likely a hanna rear bumper
44gal aux tank
better aux lighting, I'm thinking LF 240's
synthetic rope. I'm torn between winchline and masterpull, any suggestions?
LED interior lighting
dual band ham
dual batteries of course. Odyssey or lifeline?
extreme air w/tank(already have it)
undercarriage lighting
tint
my old camera system
slee 4"

new wheels, no more bling! I'm torn on this...factory looks sweet, very common, but hard to find, and pricey. I'm thinking I might go teflon again. I'm also contemplating white steel rims. Black wheels are just so common.

I look forward to learning a new rig and wheeling with ya'll!

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
wow. you did it. congrats, sounds like you got an already built rig that needs just those personal touches.

Can't wait to see pics and the "final" (if ever there is such a thing) product.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Mark,

I am super-stoked for you man. You are gonna love the 80!
:Wow1:

:wings: :wings: :wings:
Looks like you've got a full weekend ahead of you.

Let me know if you need any help, with anything.

:punk03:

Oh, and a couple things. Mine is not done yet...But I will have dual Odyssey's. If you want to get rid of your Jerry can carrier, let me know also...

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Considering what you did with your Tacoma, I can't wait to see your 80.

Congrats Mark! :jumping:

blupaddler

Conspirator
Boston Mangler said:
Is 69 Gallons Not Enough? :D

:box:

Mark,

Any problems flushing the fluids thus far?
How much red coolant did you end up needing?

Also, don't forget this: PHH

www.1fzfephh.com

OH, how many Outback crossbars did you get? Just two? Or three?

edited b/c the link was wrong...not anymore

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Mlachica said:
OME j springs front(+1" spacer) & rear
caster correction bushings

How is the steering with that setup? In theory, that should have your caster out of whack quite a bit. Usually even just the J's are pushing it with the correction bushings!

Mlachica said:
The engine runs great, no signs of HG failure.

Unfortunately, they usually never show signs! :(

Mlachica said:
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this myself, as soon as I muster up the confidence. I just ordered the stuff for it today.

Check your PM's Mark, i have done 1/2 dozen or so of the 60 and 80 series front end rebuilds, very straight forward!

Let me know if you need a hand. I have the special tools needed, Spindle Nut, Brass drifts, and Spring Tension gauge thingamcbob.

Brian894x4

Explorer
I'm looking forward to seeing some pics too for new ideas as I get ready to do my own '95 FZJ80 build.

How does it feel with the 35s and 4.10 gears?

I'm kind of surprised the PO didn't already do the CDL mod with all the other stuff done to it.

I've heard about LED lighting in the interior. Is there a specific product out there?

45 gallon reserve tank? Hmmmmmm. I have noticed that I can get as little as a few hundred miles on one tank if I do a lot of city driving. I was thinking a couple of 2.5 gallon jerry cans would cut it, but now I'm thinking not, so I might be exploring auxiliary fuel tanks as well. Any ideas?

As far as the wheels, in my research on mud, it appears that the stock wheels weigh around 20-25lbs while the steel wheels are about twice that. That's more than 100 extra pounds if you change from alloys to 5 steel wheels. They also mentioned that the factory alloy wheels are very strong and have to meet some kind of Japanese standard where they can hit a standard curb at something like 45 mph and not blow a tire. Or something like that. I was thinking about going all new wheels myself, but I think I stick with the factory alloys, maybe eventually paint them black, since I like black wheels myself.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal