Medium Duty Ambo Battery, Recommendations?

qcdstick

Any insight into battery replacement configurations on a medium duty? My truck has 3x group 31 FLTBT31925S batteries currently that need replacement due to being drawn down too low (AC switched over to the inverter when shore power was lost). Truck is a 2005 International 4300LP with a DT466E.

I assume what is in the truck are "starter" batteries, certainly nothing in the product description leads me to believe otherwise. Also I imagine that is what would have been used in ambulance service since the engine is always running I don't see why they would use deep cycle batteries at all. As such I almost pulled the trigger on 3 new starter batteries because it is the simplest fix, should work with my existing alternator and inverter charger setup, and frankly should work fine once I do what I SHOULD have done initially and wire the AC to where it can't run off the inverter.

But then, looking at what I believe is the correct manual for my inverter charger (Fleet Power 1000) It explicitly says NOT to use starter batteries. This configuration has always had PLENTY of starting power, even down near 0* F temps. As I don't really use the truck in super low temps I'm wondering if it would make sense to replace the batteries with something that would be OK being drawn to a lower state of charge at the expense of some CCA.

"Use only deep-cycle batteries with your Fleet Power Inverter/Charger. These fall into two broad categories, wet cell and gel cell."

"Do not use car batteries or engine starting batteries of any kind with your inverter/charger. Beware of any battery that is rated in Cold Cranking Amps (CCA). This is a rating which applies only to engine starting batteries. In general, most wet cell batteries that are described as hybrid batteries, suitable for either engine starting or deep-cycle applications, are a compromise and will give limited life if deeply discharged."

So.... I'm kind of back at square 1 in my head now, wondering if this thing really SHOULD have deep cycle batteries as opposed to starting batteries? And if so, what type? And how do I know if they'll be charged properly off the trucks large alternator? On the inverter/charger side according to the manual I should be able to configure that for either Wet or Gel cell, with a hot and cold climate configuration for each, so at least in theory I can match that to the battery type.

Then, if we are going to go fully down the rabbit hole, the question becomes if the truck even needs 3 starter batteries... Or if I could do 1 and a couple dedicated house batteries. I know there are various ways to accomplish this, but for my use case I'm not sure it's worth the hassle since I don't have much 12v load.

Anyway, I'm feeling kind of stuck right now, and I have a trip coming up so I need to get the batteries replaced in the next week or so. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
For my type 3 I found 6 volt deep cycle batteries last better than starting batteries. My starting battery of choice for my other truck is a 31P from the commercial truck supply store.1050 CCA and 210 minutes reserve capacity.

Most people these days are switching over to lithium phosphate batteries... but I haven't felt like I have money to burn yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3