Mikey B's 05 Tundra DC Jack of Most trades.

Mikey B

Mikey's 2005 Tundra TRD Double cab

Hello EXPO!

Long time lurker, first time posting.

Going to warn you now, this wont be full of frequent updates or super high dollar, drool worthy parts. Mostly clever modifications and pictures of places my truck goes.

I am a complete newbie! Ive got very little off road/expedition experience. Ive been on ONE off road/ crawling trip with a 4 Runner buddy. I do love outdoors and i love cars. Im a huge car nut, i love making stuff go fast.

I can build whatever i need to, but i know little about what i need for off road excursions.

Purpose:

My trucks main use.

First and foremost, towing. I've got my race car to tote around to track days. Ive got a small boat for the wifey, she loves to fish and i love making her happy.

I want this truck to be a great on road cruiser. Something comfy and easy to drive, where i can hand the keys to anyone and they can take it without needing to know how to operate it. This is a must. I want to have the accessories and ability to keep myself and my passengers happy.

On track days i want power to charge phones, cameras, tablets etc.

Second!

Off road overland adventures. I like going out and into the wilderness to explore. I dont want to do a 5 inch lift and 37's with custom bumpers and a 45 inch led bar.

I want to keep a fairly stock looking when possible while having a fair amount of capability.

I did choose the tundra with 4wd and TRD package so out of the box ive got a fair starting ground.

First thing i did from when i got it, took off the stock wheels with street tires and swapped a friend for his all terrain tires on steel wheels from his FJ.

I took it out to the hills not far from here a few times, Tumey hills up to the abandoned mining town of New Idria.

10931278_10205203670205267_5080649163928444369_n.jpg10354658_10205684843674303_1477524431458114126_n.jpg

I want your help and opinions!

Ive learned so far, i need some form of self recovery. Im looking at maxtrax recovery boards. Ive looked at plenty of discussion and ill stick with whats been tried and been around for a long time.

Recovery strap system. Im not new to recovery, i drove a tow truck for years, but never done offroad vehicle to vehicle recovery.

I know i need a few shackles for putting it together, also looking at a hitch shackle.

Im looking at a few recovery straps a dedicated tow strap and a snatch strap. really not sure what to go with. For a tow strap i looked at a smitty built, and saw a handfull of good reviews. Then I looked at ARB 17,000lbs snatch strap. To me, it would seem better that once in tension that as you pull away it will smoothly and progressively increase strengt. also once a vehicle starts to move, the slack in the strap can take up slack so you dont get the pause, snap, pause, snap of trying to synchronize two vehicles. Id like to hear your thoughts an opinions.

In the coming months im going to get new wheels with some LT265/75/16 Hankook ATM tires, the P245's on these wheels just dont cut it.

So please give me your thoughts, ive been lurking around for a while and would like to hear what you think!

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
Sweet, another 1st Gen Tundra! I have a 06 DC. I've got a thread on here, along with a few other guys with DC 1st Gen's to look at for knowledge or ideas.

The first and most important question.... whats the racecar? :)

Fairly stock looking and 5in lift with 37's do not really go hand in hand IMO. Sadly, compared to a Tacoma, fitting anything larger than a true 33, and even that has a few quirks, poses some serious obstacles. RE: cut/tub jobs. If you are going that big, you might as well re-gear, and while your doing that you might as well put in ARB lockers..... you can see how you start to go down the rabbit hole.

RickAshay and SeanPistol on here with AC's have both cleared to run 35's and there is a guy on TundraTalk doing 37s and long travel, which is epic. I my self run 275-70-17s and with the correct offset have minimal rub on full lock only while reversing with my Bilstein 5100 lift.

I have been happy with my Smitty Built Hitch Shackle. Put a 3/4 Crosby 4.75T WLL on it and its done me well. Factor 55 also makes some more "pretty" stuff. As for recovery straps, I have a Erickson strap thats worked well. Alot of people want to go big or go home, but do some reading on the knietic energy of how a snatch/recovery strap work and how to size them properly. While getting the 30,000 lb 4in strap may seem like its a good idea, pulling on that thing with our 5600~ lb truck may not have enough force to get the strap to do its elastic snap purpose vs say a 15,000 2in strap. Just something I learned about back in the day. Since you were a tow guy, you can never have enough chains or straps!. My recovery strap is 20 ft long I think, and I also have a 4 in tree saver strap, 2 in tree saver strap, few axle straps for various combinations of needing to recover things. I like the 4 in tree saver strap which is about 6 ft long for doing actuall TOW duty of pulling a vehicle distances on flat ground as I don't want 20 ft of strap that has to be tensioned behind me and him. For pulling someone out of a ditch or mud pit or stuck on an obstacle that needs a jerk, I have found 20 ft works well.

Lots of ideas, all depends on your budget. There is a guy on here, Benc, doing some custom front bumpers ATM along with a few other options of front and rear bumpers online in vairous states of assembly and coatings. Really depends on your budget and pre-runner/desert truck style vs offroad/expo. DIY with a welder is also a good option. Be sure to check out Tundra Soltuions for the best 1st Gen contentin IMO and TundraTalk has some decent 1st Gen Content aswell.

Last edited:

dyogim

Explorer
You state, "I like going out and into the wilderness to explore." Is this by yourself or with a group. If with yourself and wife in one vehicle, I would advise in a winch. Maybe a removable winch you can mount to a hitch. You can get a front mounted hitch that could also help with moving your boat and car trailer.

There's a lot that you can do to modify your vehicle. It just all depends on your needs. Look forward to your build.

Mikey B

Sweet, another 1st Gen Tundra! I have a 06 DC. I've got a thread on here, along with a few other guys with DC 1st Gen's to look at for knowledge or ideas.

The first and most important question.... whats the racecar? :)

Its a 1985 toyota corolla, with a 4.0 lexus v8 ;)

Fairly stock looking and 5in lift with 37's do not really go hand in hand IMO. Sadly, compared to a Tacoma, fitting anything larger than a true 33, and even that has a few quirks, poses some serious obstacles. RE: cut/tub jobs. If you are going that big, you might as well re-gear, and while your doing that you might as well put in ARB lockers..... you can see how you start to go down the rabbit hole.

Exactly why i dont really want to go nuts XD

RickAshay and SeanPistol on here with AC's have both cleared to run 35's and there is a guy on TundraTalk doing 37s and long travel, which is epic. I my self run 275-70-17s and with the correct offset have minimal rub on full lock only while reversing with my Bilstein 5100 lift.

I have been happy with my Smitty Built Hitch Shackle. Put a 3/4 Crosby 4.75T WLL on it and its done me well. Factor 55 also makes some more "pretty" stuff. As for recovery straps, I have a Erickson strap thats worked well. Alot of people want to go big or go home, but do some reading on the knietic energy of how a snatch/recovery strap work and how to size them properly. While getting the 30,000 lb 4in strap may seem like its a good idea, pulling on that thing with our 5600~ lb truck may not have enough force to get the strap to do its elastic snap purpose vs say a 15,000 2in strap. Just something I learned about back in the day. Since you were a tow guy, you can never have enough chains or straps!. My recovery strap is 20 ft long I think, and I also have a 4 in tree saver strap, 2 in tree saver strap, few axle straps for various combinations of needing to recover things. I like the 4 in tree saver strap which is about 6 ft long for doing actuall TOW duty of pulling a vehicle distances on flat ground as I don't want 20 ft of strap that has to be tensioned behind me and him. For pulling someone out of a ditch or mud pit or stuck on an obstacle that needs a jerk, I have found 20 ft works well.

Right i completely agree on never having enough straps. Ive already run out of room in the rear cubbies with ratchet straps, tow straps and what not lol. I do understand the snatch strap tension theory. Makes complete sense. i would highly doubt id be going after something needing 30,000lbs of pulling strength either.

Lots of ideas, all depends on your budget. There is a guy on here, Benc, doing some custom front bumpers ATM along with a few other options of front and rear bumpers online in vairous states of assembly and coatings. Really depends on your budget and pre-runner/desert truck style vs offroad/expo. DIY with a welder is also a good option. Be sure to check out Tundra Soltuions for the best 1st Gen contentin IMO and TundraTalk has some decent 1st Gen Content aswell.

Very fortunately for me, Bruteforce fab is right down the street from my house lol

You state, "I like going out and into the wilderness to explore." Is this by yourself or with a group. If with yourself and wife in one vehicle, I would advise in a winch. Maybe a removable winch you can mount to a hitch. You can get a front mounted hitch that could also help with moving your boat and car trailer.

There's a lot that you can do to modify your vehicle. It just all depends on your needs. Look forward to your build.

True i should have clarified that. Mostly going to be alone so a winch is a must. Im planning on shoving a warn under the factory bumper with a plate on the front. We shall see how that goes lol
Thanks for all of your input!

Mikey B

I guess i should tie this in too. Ive been working on a power inverter that will tie into the factory interior and look stock. As soon as its complete ill post photos.

i did grab a set of SCS wheels and some 265/75/16 Hankook tires.

Supremely happy with the wheels and tires. They are amazing. We are heading to a remote lake this weekend to put em through the paces and have a relaxed good time.

Attachments

• IMG_20160221_123647 (1).jpg
    IMG_20160221_123647 (1).jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20160218_063018.jpg
    IMG_20160218_063018.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 38

toyotech

Expedition Leader
You are local to me! Here is my tundra. Don't drive it much around town tho.
a38ebfdd656911c2ef80fdfbcb6bdea8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikey B

Thanks!

I managed to find a pair of OEM side steps from a local tundra owner, same color, with SCS wheels. what are the odds! he gave em to me for a great price an im happy to have em.

Ended up out in some BLM land this weekend, and had a lot of fun out shooting.

NNeu7Ib.jpg

1IcdhtF.jpg

yfCQrKj.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Haha most people ditch the running boards. You might need to tell me that spot is. I need to play with my toys too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mikey B

Yeah, i wanted to get them for the wife. She wants, she gets lol.

Its Tumey hills, west of the 5 freeway. Great fun to be had out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman