Military M1008 vs Toyota LC80 as a budget rig, which do you recommend?

leandroflaherty

Hi Expo!

I am torn between these two budget options:

a surplus 1980s Diesel Military Chevy Pick up or a 1990s Toyota LandCruiser LC80 / FZJ80.

Pros of the M1008 is for the same budget (3 to 4k) I can find a low miles (60k) truck with good MPG (20) great solid axles, lockers and can do an easy and cheap lift kit, a camper shell for the bed and be set to go. Used parts are cheap and everywhere.

Pros of the LandCruiser is its a toyota, but for the price I would be getting a higher milage truck (150k) and it would need extras installed to get it up to scratch (lift kit which I hear is expensive, fenders, etc). Its a much more modern vehicle.

Any opinions out there? Is the Toyota brand name and Landcruiser reputation really worth the difference in milage of these two vehicles for an overlanding rig on a budget? I know its open ended and a bit apple to oranges, just curious what the communitys take is.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Purely an opinion. You'd be better off with the LC.
The M1008 will be beat and anything rubber will need replaced because of the time it's been sitting. The diesel engines in them are heavy and under powered when compared to other diesels of similar size. You'd be way more comfortable in the LC with more interior space that's much easier to access. Diesels are typically more expensive to work on and the Chevy will be a 24v system that will need to be converted. The low mileage on the Chevy can be a curse.

Now... there are some pros to going with the M1008, Chevy parts are super easy to come by and relatively cheap (except the diesel). The drive train is rock solid and highly sought after by the rock crawling crowd should you decide to part it out. Toyotas can run pretty high miles when taken care of.

Both have their pros and cons... Hope this helped. Good luck with your project, whatever it may be.

MarcAtl

As a previous owner of a 1986 CUCV I would recommend the LC. Not because of the 24v. It is a misconception that you need to convert it to 12v. The only thing on the truck that is 24v is the starter and the jump start plug on the front grill.

The problem with the chevy is that it has a top speed of 55mph. It will scream to even go that fast. It won't have a/c unless it is an ambulance version. You will most likely need to replace all of the hoses,belts, tires, injectors and maybe even the injector pump.

They chevy makes one bad *** off road toy but I wouldn't take one on a road trip.

I bought one and was disappointed.

Let us know which one you get.

Marc

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal