Mini Expedition

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I've been glued to Dakar lately and the Mini's are doing pretty well. Back in the old days I use to road race the Mini S, tons of fun! It got me looking at some used Mini Cooper S types again, there are some good-great deals out there! Expeditionary? They can be a mean little beast. The AWD is no rock crawler, the FWD is doing fine in the rally. I think anything that can get through Dakar can be considered, it could pull a small trailer, you won't be taking the 3 kids and the dog!

Anyone have one? Been there done that? :smiley_drive:

p nut

butter
I've seen them on a few videos and looks like they're doing well. But, isn't this like suggesting we should buy a Taurus to road race because they kill it in NASCAR?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I've seen them on a few videos and looks like they're doing well. But, isn't this like suggesting we should buy a Taurus to road race because they kill it in NASCAR?

LOL, somewhat I suppose, but not nearly the same. There have been some great trips made in a VW bug, I know those very well and a Mini will run circles around an old bug and there is more room in them as well.

I'm not suggesting anyone trade in their MAN or Land Rover or even their F-250, just saying that it seems that a` Mini could be tricked out somewhat and could take on some light or medium off road battles. It might be more pleasant at 70 MPH getting there too than some high-risers, while getting 28-30 MPG.

Just wondered if anyone had a rally ready Mini or used one for some cheap get out an go adventure trips.

Check these out!

https://www.google.com/search?q=off...X&ved=0ahUKEwjLtv6-qbvKAhVW-2MKHaJADUcQsAQIKQ

p nut

butter
LOL, somewhat I suppose, but not nearly the same. There have been some great trips made in a VW bug, I know those very well and a Mini will run circles around an old bug and there is more room in them as well.

I'm not suggesting anyone trade in their MAN or Land Rover or even their F-250, just saying that it seems that a` Mini could be tricked out somewhat and could take on some light or medium off road battles. It might be more pleasant at 70 MPH getting there too than some high-risers, while getting 28-30 MPG.

Just wondered if anyone had a rally ready Mini or used one for some cheap get out an go adventure trips.

Check these out!

https://www.google.com/search?q=off...X&ved=0ahUKEwjLtv6-qbvKAhVW-2MKHaJADUcQsAQIKQ

Yeah, they'd definitely be unique. I'm not against anyone wanting to mod a Mini, as I would love to drive one of those as well. But I think you'd need to do some fairly extensive modifications. If you've got the knowledge and desire, I'd love to see what you come up with. By the way, are they still getting 28-30MPG with the lift and bigger tires?

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
I've been glued to Dakar lately and the Mini's are doing pretty well. Back in the old days I use to road race the Mini S, tons of fun! It got me looking at some used Mini Cooper S types again, there are some good-great deals out there! Expeditionary? They can be a mean little beast. The AWD is no rock crawler, the FWD is doing fine in the rally. I think anything that can get through Dakar can be considered...

Last year the Mini's dominated the Dakar. This year the Peugeot's were tearing it up (till crashes and/or mechanical problems opened the door for the Mini's to get back on the platform).

If memory serves, the Dakar Mini's came from an earlier BMW Dakar program. They slapped on Mini-ish bodies and put them out to race. I heard the only thing Mini about them is the windshield and tail lights. The rest is pretty much custom around a diesel BMW engine. The Dakar Mini's are 4WD not FWD.

The entire car class are custom rigs (including the Toyota Hilux). There was a mention by Robby Gordon that the engines must be production models. The rest seems to be tube frames, plastic bodies, and custom, custom, custom.

Here is some good reading:
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/motorsport/first-drive-mini-all4-dakar-x-raid

Minis are cool rides, but Dakar performance has zero relation to the production vehicles you can buy. If you want a Mini for mini-expeditions, I'd look hard to see what options are available regarding skid plates and maybe a bit of suspension lift/upgrade work. If you can't get the goodies you need it may not be a good platform for you.

I have a 4WD Ford Escape and aftermarket off-road parts are VERY limited these days (it used to be better about 10 years ago). I managed to find one of the last skid plates available from overseas. Add to that a roof rack and some decent rubber and I'm able to get around off pavement quite nicely.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
For a real conversation starter, use an Austin/Leyland/Rover Mini!

http://smallcarbigadventure.blogspot.com/ (found here on ExPo)

But I suppose a BMW Mini would be more comfortable to travel in and easier to load, with the rear liftback.

Yes, that's the old Austin Mini, early/mid 60's, 1000cc aspirated of course, much like the Mini I raced in Germany in the 70's.

They were tough rally cars without much mod, then none were allowed in stock classes anyway. That's a cool trip story! Thanks for the post!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Yeah, they'd definitely be unique. I'm not against anyone wanting to mod a Mini, as I would love to drive one of those as well. But I think you'd need to do some fairly extensive modifications. If you've got the knowledge and desire, I'd love to see what you come up with. By the way, are they still getting 28-30MPG with the lift and bigger tires?

I'm told that 05 and up are best, 07 and up is a newer more reliable version, seems BMW was experimenting when they picked them up around 2000 and they had issues of all kinds I'm finding.

An 07 seems to be the ticket, stock John Cooper S hits 60 at 6 seconds, top speed 153 according to specs. Throw bigger tires on and I'm sure MPG would drop, more with a brick rack on top, but by how much, I don't have a clue. as tank is 11.6 gal, roughly a 300 mile range.

The mini S isn't much further behind those numbers, think top speed was 146, that's flying low!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Last year the Mini's dominated the Dakar. This year the Peugeot's were tearing it up (till crashes and/or mechanical problems opened the door for the Mini's to get back on the platform).

If memory serves, the Dakar Mini's came from an earlier BMW Dakar program. They slapped on Mini-ish bodies and put them out to race. I heard the only thing Mini about them is the windshield and tail lights. The rest is pretty much custom around a diesel BMW engine. The Dakar Mini's are 4WD not FWD.

The entire car class are custom rigs (including the Toyota Hilux). There was a mention by Robby Gordon that the engines must be production models. The rest seems to be tube frames, plastic bodies, and custom, custom, custom.

Here is some good reading:
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/motorsport/first-drive-mini-all4-dakar-x-raid

Minis are cool rides, but Dakar performance has zero relation to the production vehicles you can buy. If you want a Mini for mini-expeditions, I'd look hard to see what options are available regarding skid plates and maybe a bit of suspension lift/upgrade work. If you can't get the goodies you need it may not be a good platform for you.

I have a 4WD Ford Escape and aftermarket off-road parts are VERY limited these days (it used to be better about 10 years ago). I managed to find one of the last skid plates available from overseas. Add to that a roof rack and some decent rubber and I'm able to get around off pavement quite nicely.

Good Luck, TR

No doubt and true, just as with NASCAR, probably the most stock vehicles out there, besides stock classes which they aren't really showing, would be the big trucks at Dakar.

For us average off road cruisers the Mini would probably not need extensive mods, seems the Mini forum guys are using better shocks, skid plates are available, a 2" lift takes care of larger wheels and tires, that's about it. Some questioned the need for a lift using bigger shocks and a skid plate. I wouldn't want to kill performance and handling on pavement for the sake of going over something you can probably avoid.

I think I'd opt for the FWD, that might sound odd, but reliability is top of my list and those things are like small goats anyway. All 4 going obviously makes more sense for the muck, that has to be weighed against the automatic's reputation for failure too. I wouldn't mind going 5 miles around to avoid the mud pit. A little mud is fun, but we all travel with limitations.

My thought is, shocks, then a rack, take the back seats out and build a simple platform. Open the hatchback, flip out a bit more platform and put a cover over the back end like a sock over the hatchback and under the platform, seal it up and done for camping. For two of us and the Boxer, that might work, the Boxer sleeps under the extend platform in her bed, LOL!

Sure would like to find some trip reports with the newer Mini's.

Any ideas are certainly welcome, enjoy seeing the pros run them too. I might search Pikes Peak and see how they did too. :)

I think you could end up with a hell of a little rally car on the cheap, fun and worthy, but my concern is really reliability in stock form. Seems like BMW inherited the English gremlins too!

OuterLimits

For us average off road cruisers the Mini would probably not need extensive mods, seems the Mini forum guys are using better shocks, skid plates are available, a 2" lift takes care of larger wheels and tires, that's about it. Some questioned the need for a lift using bigger shocks and a skid plate. I wouldn't want to kill performance and handling on pavement for the sake of going over something you can probably avoid.

I think I'd opt for the FWD, that might sound odd, but reliability is top of my list and those things are like small goats anyway.

My thought is, shocks, then a rack, take the back seats out and build a simple platform. Open the hatchback, flip out a bit more platform and put a cover over the back end like a sock over the hatchback and under the platform, seal it up and done for camping.
Any ideas are certainly welcome, enjoy seeing the pros run them too. I might search Pikes Peak and see how they did too.

Ozarker,

You are a rare cat, putting reliability above mostly unneeded upgrades. I am of the same philosophy. I plan on keeping my drivetrain and suspension geometry stock. The skid plates and larger tires provide added protection and lessen the chances of hanging up on obstructions. I may upgrade shocks and add an external tranny cooler to keep it cool in the desert, But my priorities are reliability, simplicity, and function.

BTW, the 4WD on my rig runs as a hybrid FWD. The back gets power on initial acceleration till about 35 mph and again if the front slips. It's a very simple system that provides impressive traction. If the power transfer to the rear ever craps out, I can still get around in FWD.

I'm a long time fan of FWD. My dad bought a Subaru FWD compact sedan when they first came on the market in the US. We lived out in the desert and that little car cruised around like a jack rabbit, while my buddies with their RWD were getting stuck. Pretty sure we had the first Subaru in town. It had a "FWD" emblem on the side of the front fenders. At the gas pump or in parking lots people were always asking "Is that really Four Wheel Drive?". I'd just nod my head and smile. (nobody had heard of Front Wheel Drive at the time). Great little car.

I say go for the Mini! (Be sure to post pics)

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
"A rare cat" LOL, that's a first. If you can't finish a race you can't win one! Why start something you can't finish?

Hey Fugitive, looks like this guy was ready to go.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/stage1scott/mini coopers/P1010307.jpg

Notice the trailer? I'm looking at the Clubman models, only the S, (or the John Cooper, with more power) not the basic. Towing capacity is 1500#, that's a lot of beer!

My garage is full, '14 GMC Terrain with 7200 miles on it, an '04 Forester @132K, '99 F-150 XLT 4X4 with 82K on the clock, a 1600 Vulcan and a Honda Transalp. Bought the F-150 new, never an issue but it has a couple issues, power window on the passenger side and the A/C needs to be charged, really hate to get rid of the truck. Have a utility trailer as well. Sold the Subby on payments, the guy will get the title in April after making his payments. Between the two that puts me in the price range of newer Mini, '10,11 or 12. I also hate sales tax, cleaning out the garage helps there too.

At my age, my back is telling me to get off the Transalp, that seems like mod money and a repair reserve for a Mini. The Vulcan isn't far behind, it's not my back's best friend either. The Vulcan is the prescription for the need for speed, a Cooper S might help relieve those urges, but not a cure like the Vulcan. I think I could live with that.

That gets me down to two vehicles, like most folks, one practical, one for fun, but I would be truckless. I hope the trailer could haul anything I need from Lowes.

I'd sure be the little fella here! Might change my user name, LOL

In my younger days, me and another guy could pick up the front end of the Austin Mini, the newer ones weigh in at 3,097, recover gear can't be too much for that, a good come-along might do it.

I like the Ford Escape too, there are a lot of pluses for going smaller in reality of overlanding I think. If you think like a backpacker or the motorcycle guys you could do just fine. A 60" flat screen is one of the reasons I'd want to get away in the first place. Nothing wrong with luxury, but it seems to take some of the excitement away, the sense of accomplishment, where skill overtakes power and huge tires.

A rare cat, yes, I guess I can be rather unorthodox in approaching things, to me that's part of the fun.

Hope to hear other suggestions on a Mini, I'd really like to hear about trails that a Mini might conquer, especially in western states. :)

OuterLimits

Maybe it's time to call you mini-zarker ;-)

The Mini/Trailer combo could work. Not a fan of the flat bed trailer. I'd prefer sides. Even better if enclosed.

I've had a fondness for Mini's since watching the original 1969 version of "The Italian Job" (Now I'm showing my age). Those mini's driving up and down the sides of the tunnels was such a gas!

I have been wanting a small off road tear-drop trailer to pull behind the Escape, but my wife doesn't consider it a trailer if you can't stand up in it.

I have owned many different rigs including a classic Jeep Wagoneer and a FJ60 Landcruiser wagon. All have their strengths and weaknesses. The FJ60 was such a robust and tough rig. I loved it, but the mpg was seriously denting my wallet. My little 4WD escape could never take the beating I could serve up to the FJ60. That said, the size, weight, and traction of the Escape allow it to get through some places that would have left the FJ60, trapped, sliding, or stuck.

What rig to use is all about balancing your priorities, then driving within the envelope that rig offers you. Tanglefoot posted a blog link about a chap on a grand adventure in his Mini. Seems to be having a bloody good time. The Mini is no Land Rover, but spec'd out properly would provide superb mpg and a lifetime of driving adventure.

Here's a little inspiration-
15 stock Mini's on adventure in Argentina: I dig this mini: https://fashionact.wordpress.com/2011/06/13/mini-cooper-by-dsquared/

Cheers

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
One of, if not the best video of overlanding I've ever seen! Stock minis with a gas can and an extra spare! Wow!

Nothing extreme, not too technical, just the scenery and photography with the minis.

Dsquared is pretty cool. The dealer here built one up very similar to that one, saw it last year. It just tipped over the mid-40K mark in the showroom. A John Cooper tricked out.

What I like is the go-kart handling, the mpg, the options on the S and performance. I'm on the fence again due to the reliability issues of the mini even though they have gotten much better since being reintroduced, the 07 and up, but there are still some major issues with the tranny. You don't rebuild them you replace them! I also looked at OEM parts, might as well be driving a Land Rover.

All that said, I'd have to decide to set aside a bank account for maintenance and repairs!

There is no perfect vehicle, at least for me. The mini looks like a fun compromise. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk