Monster Van

scotter

Observer
Well that is what the kids are calling it. I am now moving forward and past the planning stage so I thought I'd start a thread on my build. The van is an 84 B300 wagon with a 360 and 727 transmission. It's nothing special and previously belonged to a State University. The only rust is some surface rust in the floor from water getting trapped under the original rubber flooring.

The plan is to do a 4x4 conversion utilizing some of the parts from my last 4x4 van (97 GMC Savanna). I will be removing the auto and installing two manual transmissions and a transfer case. I know there are cleaner ways to gear down but I spent a lot of time and money making this setup work in my last van and learned some expensive lessons. Because I still have everything it makes economical sense to use it in this build. I'll share the details in a future post. My drive train will consist of 360/np235/sm435/np205.

I have acquired a set of Hummer take off wheels and tires (37x12.5) and a wider Dana 60 than the stock one found under the rear of the van. I would like to upgrade it to a 70 or 80 at some point. Up front I have a GM 10 bolt with early Dana 44 spindles and 8 lug hubs. I know the 10 bolt is less than adequate and it will be the first thing that gets changed, I am using it for now because it was free… as far as free goes. I did have to replace all the bearings and seals and even one of the hubs due to a spun bearing race. I also picked up a pair of used Warn lockout hubs to replace the drive flanges.

The van will have a full size queen bed in back with storage underneath, onboard air and water, roof rack with lights, Rtt’s etc. I also have 2 PTO winches I plan to convert to hydraulic drive for both front and rear. I will have one spare mounted on back and second spare for extended trips (still considering options for packing the second one when warranted).

I am putting this van together on a shoestring budget. Once I get it up and running I will work on upgrades like nicer lights, axles, interior seating, and electronics. The goal is to put together a fairly capable trail Van for a large family as well as a project for me and the kids to work on together.

vans3s.jpg

scotter

Observer
My 24 bolt HumVee wheels and tires the day they showed up. I absolutely love these. Not perfet for every situation but a good compromise at a fair price for what I intend to do.

VTA.jpg

scotter

Observer
I had to install new Bearings, Races, Seals, and studs in the hubs up front. New studs were required to properly install the spacers I am using on this axle.
racestuds.jpg

After getting the hubs rebuilt I was finally able to get the wheels mounted for the first time on the front and check my steering clearances, everything checks out. I also welded the steering stablizer (it was junk) solid so I could move the axle around without having the knuckles fold over. I have since purchased some inexpensive furniture dollies to move it around. The dollies are great for moving the axles back and forth under the van without having to jack it up 4 feet in the air
1frontmount.jpg

scotter

Observer
Below are some pictures of my new front crossmember. It will support the the front springs as well as form the base for my bumper and winch. It is made of 5x7 rectangular tubing. The Dodge is basically a unibody and the front subframe/crossmember is welded in. The frame rails are tapered down and in quite a bit and were never intended to support anything but the radiatior and flimsy bumper. My cross member is welded to the original front crosmember and will have brackets that wrap under and extend almost all the way back to the original suspension mounting points. The crossmember is cut at an angle on the ends to match the taper of the factory framerails. The brackets will also serve to reinforce the front frame rails.

frntab.jpg

These are my front spring hangers. They still need to be shaped/cleaned up and finish welded (insides were welded solid before attaching to van). Since I plan on upgrading my axle to a D60 I built the hangers oversized so I wont have to replace them when I swap axles. There will be a 1/4" spacer that will need to be moved to the other side of the spring eye for proper alignment.

frnta.jpg

Finally ready to slide axle and springs under for a test fit and start laying out the shackle mounts. After I get everything cleaned up and the grit out of my eyes.

front1ac.jpg

eagle1

Observer
i hope your front axle is a drivers side drop because the engine is offset to the passengers side

scotter

Observer
i hope your front axle is a drivers side drop because the engine is offset to the passengers side

No it is passenger side drop. not a problem for me with an 8 lift and the axle moving forward 6 inches. It looks to me that the crossmember is really what gets in the way on either side. If you were to do a 4x4 conversion within the factory dimensions, then it would seem that the exhaust, shift/clutch linkages, and starter would be potential issues on the drivers side. I guess people have had issues with it at some point but I do not see any issues for it in my build, I've actually got more free space on the passenger side in spite of the offset. :)

scotter

Observer
Haven't had much time to work on the van in the past week, but I was able to pick up some hardware and bolt the front spring eyes in place so I can begin working out the shackle mounts. I still need to fab the frame brackets and reinforcements. You can see how much they taper down in this photo. Didn't get much done but had good time working with my 10 year old for about an hour.

springbolt.jpg

matthewquig2

monster van

i have the same van that i am getting ready to build myself. i am interested in seeing more undercarriage photos of your van especially the shackle hangers and how you reinforced the frame i appreciate your time and the information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat