Montero Gen3 questions

OneTime

Adventurer
I am thinking of getting a Gen3 Montero. I have been in the market for a 95-97 SR. I am also considering a GEN 3. My questions are: What year did they go to V8's? What type of milage to the V8's get? I know the early model Gen3's came with a rear locker option. Do any models have a AWD system similiar to Toyota's ATAC which transfers power to wheel with the most grip?

OneTime

Adventurer
I stand corrected on the V8. So then could I expect the same MPG as a Gen 2 or 2.5? And any info on the AWD?

preacherman

Explorer
Gen 3 have the same 3.5 DOHC as the gen 2. I don't think they had an awd system like the toyota (thats why they get better MPG) The big diff between gen 2 and 3 is a gen 3 is unibody with IFS front and rear. (Thats why it drives like butter) Gen 2 has a frame and a rear axle with coil over. Gen 3 do not have lockers as well but tony told me this weekend that ARB said they where gonna have one this year.

OneTime

Adventurer
Preacherman. I made a mistake. I meant to ask if they had a system similar to Toyota's when in 4WD. According to what I have read on Wikipedia and a few promtional/commercail videos on youtube, it does. A guy on a LC forum basically said Toyota's ALTRAC applies the brakes to the wheel that is spinning and transfers power to the one with grip. I think the Montero has something similiar. Also from what I can tell the 2003 seems to be the pinnacle year, when the HP was bumped up to 215. Anyone have any info?

98sr5

Observer
only 215 that thing weighs so much tho if your gona get one get a gen 1 or gen 2 entirely more capable and not a 4wd with a carlike frame and suspension

DBS311

Adventurer
No, a unibody is in no way an advantage off-road. Most people who spend time in the dirt still prefer the body on frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh