Montero Limited Stuck in Low Range (4LLC) - Help!

TechNomad

Hello all,

I've been driving a 2001 Montero Limited for ~3 years now. The central diff light would periodically flash on, but would turn off after restarting the car or exercising the 4WD system.
However, I recently cleaned the underside of the car and engine with gunk remover and the transfer case has started acting up (maybe there's no correlation, but it's worth noting). The central diff light would randomly flash on and off while on the road, and eventually stay off.

My wife was driving the car yesterday when it suddenly dropped into 4LLC by itself. I tried all the standard tricks to try to get it out of 4LLC, but it won't go. The lever moves just fine.

After doing some research, I shorted out the #1 terminal on the OBD2 port and pulled the transfer case codes. I got error code 32 AND 33.

Code 32: "Malfunction of transfer shift mechanism/malfunction of actuator"

Code 33: "Open Circuit/ short circuit/ malfunction of switch"

My first course of action was to replace all 5 transfer case switches (fun, right?). After completing the job, I confirmed 2 of the old switches were bad with a continuity test.
However, the transfer case is still stuck in 4LLC. Also, now it beeps at me when I start the car in the 2H position, and only stops when I move the lever to 4LLC. I suspect this is because it now senses that it is in the wrong position since the 4LLC switch works now?

I ordered a new freewheel clutch solenoid since the vacuum tubes looked cracked, but I suspect the problem is deeper than the freewheel clutch solenoid.

Has anyone had this problem, or problems related to fault code 32?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
The lever is just an electronic control. It should be able to start the car in 4LLc and shift into 4H (Must be stationary in Neutral) then 2H. If it is not shifting at all while in Neutral, then there may be internal damage preventing movement.

TechNomad

The lever is just an electronic control. It should be able to start the car in 4LLc and shift into 4H (Must be stationary in Neutral) then 2H. If it is not shifting at all while in Neutral, then there may be internal damage preventing movement.
Michael,
Thanks for your reply. Are you referring to internal damage to the transfer case or the electronic shifting lever? I would be very surprised if there was any damage within the transfer case itself. Since the whole thing starting acting up electronically the day before it got stuck in 4LLC (central diff light acting sporadically), this makes me think it much be a electronic or vacuum system problem. What do you think?

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
It probably had an electrical problem. The shifter is not mechanically connected to the transfer case, so it only has the electrical contacts. Vacuum actuation solenoid can cause a problem, but I'm not sure if it is connected to the 2-speed shifter.

If you don't already, grab the FSM from my signature. It should have electrical diagrams and troubleshooting steps for the system.
This post also has more steps to diagnose the system. http://4wd.blogeasy.com/article.view.run?articleID=318776#tabs-1

Montified

It probably had an electrical problem. The shifter is not mechanically connected to the transfer case, so it only has the electrical contacts. Vacuum actuation solenoid can cause a problem, but I'm not sure if it is connected to the 2-speed shifter.

If you don't already, grab the FSM from my signature. It should have electrical diagrams and troubleshooting steps for the system.
This post also has more steps to diagnose the system. http://4wd.blogeasy.com/article.view.run?articleID=318776#tabs-1

Montified

My newly acquired Florida, 01 limited, 177k, one owner soccer mom garage kept, never put in four-wheel-drive, basically whould stick in 4h and hloc and low loc if it would go in at all during my pre-purchase testing. To get it out I had to do some kind of voodoo ritual turning it on and off , shifting it. Back in two wheel I took her to a reputable shop. The transfer case worked fine on the bench but not while in the vehicle, all the lines were checked, solenoid switch’s, 5 on top, freewheel sol etc, the whole 9 yards. Ended up putting a used case in ($180 for case) which plugged and played, the original one now on the floor must have something mechanical wrong according to the mechanic. that doesn’t make sense to me but I didn’t wanna pay for any more diagnostic labor. Perhaps it was jammed into low lock rolling I don’t know and it kind of bums me out since I know the original transfer case had no stress put on it and looked like it was out of the show room. Now I have fully functioning super select, with a transfer case of unknown history. I guess I should be happy it now works. I will be moving on to the other neglected maintenance such as water pump , belt , cam seals etc. that I’ve learned about on this forum. I definitely learned a lot here thank this is going to be a great vehicle for my needs.

TechNomad

I was able to get it out of 4LLC by connecting an external 12V power supply directly to the transfer case actuator. I ran it all the way to the end of it's travel (2H). Now it is stuck in 2H, and won't go into other modes, but at least I can drive it around!
I also tested the voltage at the transfer case wiring harness, and I noticed that the voltage remained unchanged as I shifted from 2H into 4H, etc. So I conclude that there must be a problem with the electrical. I'm taking it into the stealership this week so they can put a finger on the exact cause. I don't have the expertise to chase down electrical problems.

plh

Explorer
I'm taking it into the stealership this week so they can put a finger on the exact cause.

I'd be shocked if a tech at a Mitsubishi dealership has any knowledge of these trucks. Most were still in elementary school when the last of them rolled off the lot, combined with the massive closing of Mitsu dealerships after the 2008 crisis, and reopening a few 5 years later.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
if i had kept my gen 3 i was planning on installing the manual shifter from an XLS, keep an eye out for those as these electric shift units won't become more reliable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk