My 1968 Apache/ 2015 adventure trailer

Gootjr

Observer
I bought this trailer from the 2nd owner and is in great condition, the canvas is perfect. The body is all aluminum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 137

Gootjr

Observer
The basic 2x3 frame and receiver tongue

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 123

Gootjr

Observer
Basic frame is done and chromoly independant suspension is almost done. Next cut the wheel wells

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 132

Gootjr

Observer
Thanks! The owner I got it from has owned it since 1976. He was very attached so I'm not sure if I will show him the finished trailer yet. I may keep the og color

bonomonster

Adventurer
Wow.. Great build... There's one of these for sale near me but needs canvas and some work. Just looking at yours has me thinking....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Gootjr

Observer
There is a guy who doesn't need your original canvas to copy because he has the original patterns from Apache.
Here's a couple bug pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 133
Wow. that looks like way too much fun :)

Friends had a MUCH more primitive version in the 60's that we took to baja and played on the beach with :)

Enjoy!

Crikey! I just enlarged the photo...that looks like a significant;y more substantial chunk of aluminum hanging out the back than I thought was there!

I guess towing isn't a problem :)

Gootjr

Observer
Fender rough in and tire rack

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 80

bonomonster

Adventurer
Awesome build..... How much room is left inside the camper for gear when it's all packed up?

Also, do you remember what the basic frame size is for under the trailer? I'm looking into purchasing the one that needs canvas, and since I don't have the awesome fabrication skills you have, I was wondering if I would easily fit onto a heavy duty 4x6 or 5x8 landscape type trailer.... Just a thought

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

4xdog

Explorer
Nice -- looks like an Apache Eagle. We had one from circa 1969-1985, a 1968 model IIRC in dark green. My dad sold it without telling me, and I'm still mad about that! We loved that little trailer.

I'm guessing yours is a 1969-71 model. Earlier years might not have had that useful clamshell top. You know, of course, that the clamshell halves had bent wire hangers to suspend them from the bottoms of the extended bed frames, thereby creating off-the-ground shelving for gear. Well thought out design -- except for the awful leveling jacks. They jammed, bent, rusted, and were a general PITA to live with.

b63215b

Adventurer
Such nice fab work, i am jealous of how clean everything looks. Do you have a manual or hydraulic tube bender?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gootjr

Observer
Lots of storage, you have the full width and length 60"x80" and 18" high. It is a 1968 Eagle. It is really nice to have the hard top. I have been looking for a while for one. I have one wire hanger, the whole trailer is very cool design. I have a hydraulic bender and a program called Bend tech to help design the bends. Thanks for the compliments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk