My first Toyota, 1992 4Runner. Introduction plus some newbie questions.

AttoirRERE

Hey guys. I was introduced to this forum by LAOutbackTrail. I've known and ridden with him for a little while in the Expedition-Biking arena. He's joined us on a previous trip to Mexico, amongst several others he'd done on his own.

However, this is my first foray into a decent 4wd vehicle. I don't count my old 90 Montero 4x4, which I only had for a few weeks. It was just too underpowered for me. Anyway, after LAOutback picked up his 1g 4runner (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35407), I was inspired and went on the hunt for either a newer Montero or a Toyota. I found this beast on Craigslist for the sum of $750.

ht92pu.jpg

2ly6dxt.jpg

I picked it up in Marshall, TX about 1 hour away. Paint is excellent, body doesn't have a single real dent on it, no rust, and motor sounds excellent. It needed tires, shocks (badly), a front windshield, and a clutch (if you tried you can make it slip.) I've had it for a whole week now. I've replaced the shocks, ordered the windshield (to be installed tomorrow), purchased the clutch, and have tires on order.

What are my plans? I'm not 100% sure. I intend for this vehicle to stay completely streetable. I don't want to struggle to run 70, I want it to remain pleasant to drive. I do not plan on mudding it, I do not plan on running OHV parks every weekend. This is a DD, with maybe a once a month off road venture. No rock climbing, just places where 4wd may or may not be required. I intend on running 31x10.50x15 Nexen MT's for cost and clearance reasons.

This is where I want some advice.

The rear end sags on this. I'm fully aware of all the different ways to fix it. I've narrowed it down to 2 options good for me- stock coil spring replacement (90 bucks from auto part store) or OME lift coils for the rear. My QUESTION is this: If I plan on running 31's, never intend to do hardcore offroad, do I need the lift? Is it worth the money? I don't think ground clearance is going to be an issue with the kind of trails I plan on being on. Basically I'm wondering if you guys can talk me into putting out a little extra cash to lift it a bit.

Any other first mods you guys suggest? After I get the nick-nacks straightened out, I'm thinking about an Aussie (or similar) locker for the rear.

java

Expedition Leader
no need to lift, 31's should fit fine stock, maybe a little rub if you really try in the rear, but not sure if OME makes no liftheavy coils for the rear, might be an otherionj if they do.
toyota simply didnt use sitff enough springs for the heavy rear end of the 4r's

czenkov

Adventurer
That also brings up the question as to how much you plan on carrying in the rear while out and about exploring. A heavier duty spring may come in handy depending on what you are carrying.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Welcome to ExPo!

OME is my vote. If you plan on using your rig for camping/hauling gear you will want the extra strength of OME's.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
OME is a very streetable setup. I think you will be pleased with the ride quality, and it should take care of the saggin' problem.

AttoirRERE

Update

Been doing some work to the ride.

By far the biggest problem were the shocks. All four were gone, gone, gone. Bouncy, rattles like crazy, it was awful. So, up on the jackstands.

zwm3o9.jpg

The nuts on top were freaking stuck, I had to tear apart the dust cover and put vice grips on the shaft itself.

30a701w.jpg

I replaced all four with some mid level OE replacement Monroes from O'Reilly Auto. I know, they're not expensive or OME brand, but holy cow, what a difference. Rides GREAT, not like a Caddy, but very very good for a 15 year old truck.

I should have done it the, but at a later date, I finally fixed the rear coil spring sag. I was torn up about whether or not to get lift springs, OE replacements, or what. I decided that I really don't want, or think I need a lift at this point. I went with coil springs from O'Reillys, $79 for the pair.

CHECK OUT MY DROP SPRINGS!
20zczkl.jpg

They're shorter, but stiffer. I installed them, and it took pretty much all the ******** sag out. Here's a pic, which is very misleading because I have odd ruts in the driveway. But anyway, it sits level now.

20pra77.jpg

Hey, check out that antenna. And them not-bald tires.

Did a CB install. My dad used to drive trucks for a living, and has tons of old CBs laying around. He gave me one, I did your typical ashtray install. Came out good.

At first, I said, 'No way am I taking out the whole lower dash just to put in this stupid CB.' But, I did it. Wasn't that bad.

11toro6.jpg

Came out nicely.

1zea2xk.jpg

And I was really wanting some Nexen MT's, but they're still waiting on some from China. So I picked up some 31x10.50 KL78 AT's for pretty cheap.

6rh3zs.jpg

RU55ELL

Explorer
Very nice 2nd gen and welcome! Good choice on the 5 speed tranny too. Has the head gaskets been replaced? If not, you should plan on it before you get forced into doing it. A lot of people will give you a hard time about getting a 2nd gen but they can be just as capable as anything else. I'm looking forward to your build!

AttoirRERE

and

Last night I took the 4runner out for it's first offroad excursion. I went to Blue Hole in Arkansas. Ended up being dark, so no pics, but here's a video from when I showed a few dual sporters the area. I'm the doofus on the yellow DRZ that falls over a few seconds in.

http://www.vholdr.com/node/51499

On the way to the hill (not in video) there are a few decent water crossings. With recent rains, they were a bit higher than usual. At one point, I had water over the front of the hood for just a second. I was scared. Hah. Made it out without hydrolocking anything.

Made my way to the hill as pictured in the video. I only needed 4wd once when I got a little slanted in a rut. Other than that, it was 2wd all the way up.

There were some other roads I wanted to check out, but a few of them had water crossing deeper than that I had already gone across. I was by myself, it was dark, and I didn't feel like sucking water in the engine, so I head back to the house.

This is, in general, the type of terrain this 4runner will see most of the time. There will be a few steeper hills, and there will be some deeper water. But I think it'll do the job just fine at stock height.

My 'build' is mostly done, but just a few more things I think I'll be wanting:

Safari Snorkel. I had to turn around because water was too deep. Not cool.

Lighting. I'd like some auxiliary lighting, not sure what. All I know is my brights weren't cutting it out in the woods. Any suggestions welcome.

Locker. I BOUGHT ONE! Found a lockright for the rear for cheap. There are a few hills out in the area I know I'll have traction issues making it up. Inexpensive upgrade.

java

Expedition Leader
looking good. for lighting my shucks/kragen/checkers/oriely 7" Hid's are awesome and decently priced. they are very deep tho just an FYI.

YodasYota

Observer
If you want some excellent lighting on the cheap, check out the Hella 500 kits. They come with everything needed(wiring, relay, fuses, switch) and can be mounted anywhere you are willing to drill a hole! I have mine on the front bumper, and wired to my high beams and a switch, they are amazing, second set on second truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk