My growing obsession with 80's...

thecriscokid

Explorer
I has been some time now and is now a full blown obsession. Yesterday, I went for a 20 minute drive to a bike ride and saw 7... most stock soccer moms, 2 slightly modded, and 1 full blown mud member fully kitted pulling a trailer of some kind. I mean, come on, I have always liked them but something is pulling me in. maybe it's that I just paid off my truck loan............

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I went from a 2005 nicely outfitted, reasonable mileage Tacoma to a 1997 Cruiser nicely outfitted and high mileage. Best thing that ever happened to me in the truck world!

mxvet354

Observer
I have always loved them, literally for years I fought the fight until I could afford what I wanted. The ONLY thing I would consider instead of an 80 is a very nice 60......

The cheap part is actually buying a stock truck. :Wow1:

Good luck

Curt

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
...I may be selling my cloth moderately built and babied 1996 FZJ80 here soon...

temptation.jpg

thecriscokid

Explorer
...I may be selling my cloth moderately built and babied 1996 FZJ80 here soon...

That's the kind I like. How soon is soon in your book? I'm not in too much of a rush.
Obsessions are kind of fun. Not that owning one will change that feeling...
Keep me posted

Nay

Observer
The nice thing about owning and building an 80 is you stop obsessing about other rigs entirely.

Except maybe a SAS 100 on 37's :D

ashooter

Adventurer
The nice thing about owning and building an 80 is you stop obsessing about other rigs entirely.

Except maybe a SAS 100 on 37's :D

I dunno... I still have a lot of stuff I want to do to my 80, but I'm still daydreaming 3 or 4 times a week about a 40 or 45... or maybe even a 55.

The only thing that keeps me in check is my wallet!

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Soon = (late) summerish, my 80's splashed across ExPo here on several occasions. I have two other vehicles currently for sale at this time so one thing at a time.

Nay

Observer
I dunno... I still have a lot of stuff I want to do to my 80, but I'm still daydreaming 3 or 4 times a week about a 40 or 45... or maybe even a 55.

The only thing that keeps me in check is my wallet!

I stopped having those daydreams at child #3 :Wow1:

thecriscokid

Explorer
Getting bad now.

Drove to the market and there is a white '97 180k for $4900 couple busted up running boards and missing something here and there :costumed-smiley-007 I didn't even bother stopping.

Think the right one will find me.

I do think that I will buy an 80 from an enthusiast, not one of the many ran ragged that I feel like I see on a daily basis. I don't know but it seems funny buying a cruiser from someone that claims "never been offroad" yet has spent it's life in Colorado...

To Be Continued...

Nay

Observer
Getting bad now.

Drove to the market and there is a white '97 180k for $4900 couple busted up running boards and missing something here and there :costumed-smiley-007 I didn't even bother stopping.

Think the right one will find me.

I do think that I will buy an 80 from an enthusiast, not one of the many ran ragged that I feel like I see on a daily basis. I don't know but it seems funny buying a cruiser from someone that claims "never been offroad" yet has spent it's life in Colorado...

To Be Continued...

There is more value in full baseline maintenance and the headgasket replacement than the truck itself for many of these rigs.

Buying cheap and having to do this stuff is a terrible decision - buy from an OCD owner who has done all of this work for you.

CSG

Explorer
I saw a beautiful black 80 yesterday at Taco Bell. I pulled in the parking spot in front of them so we were nose to nose. It was a stock job with a brush guard out of Blaine County (Hailey or Sun Valley most likely).

I almost bought an 80 because they are so purposeful looking but the 100 was more useful to me all things considered. I still would love to get an 80 too. :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk