My hilux's next 20 years

aikane

Observer
There aren't enough older trucks on this forum, so I will make a contribution of "old school".:wings: This is my 1991 Toyota V6 Hilux that I have owned since new.
picture002pq.jpg

List of mods to date:
Procomp 4" suspension lift
NW offroad HD lift leaf spring in back
Sway-a-way torsion bar
Bilstein shocks
NW offroad headers and 2.25" exhaust
Centerforce dual friction clutch and heavier flywheel
BFG KM2 32's on cheapo alum wheels
Bushwacker flares
5.29 gears and Spartan locker in rear
Corbeau neoprene reclining seats
Swaybar removed

Things to do/change:
Stock or Old Man Emu Torsion bars
Sliders
Go through entire front end. (maintenance)

Last edited:

aikane

Observer
The UPS van made a visit today....
10474809.jpg

53517218.jpg

Replaced my blown front shocks.
56675516.jpg

It's hard to beat the ride of new shocks.:)
Next, brakes and cv's.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Very nice, '91 on this end, too. Ours are I think looked at as just old junk, not all sexy and cool like a first gen, not comfy and powerful like a Tacoma. Just cheap, old, cheap, rusty, cheap junk. Yours looks great!
4.88 Richmond gears and Tru-trac lsd in the rear

Things to do/change:
Locker and 5.29's
Hey, I may be your Huckleberry. I run 5.29 Yukons with Air Lockers in both front and rear, set up by Slee, and would like to go back to more mild 4.56 or 4.88 gears. I do a lot less that needs the gearing and lockers and have been doing a whole lot more Interstate shuttling because of family. Ping me off list if you'd like to talk about a trade with maybe a few bucks.

aikane

Observer
Very nice, '91 on this end, too. Ours are I think looked at as just old junk, not all sexy and cool like a first gen, not comfy and powerful like a Tacoma. Just cheap, old, cheap, rusty, cheap junk. Yours looks great!
Haha, yeah it's like being the middle child and your siblings were "starting quarterbacks and prom queens", while you were on the yearbook committee.:)
As for your offer, I actually am waiting on a rear diff to be built by Marlin Crawler. A friend has expressed interest in my old diff, thanks though.

7wt

Expedition Leader
Cool truck man. It won't be long and my 03 Taco will be on the yearbook committee as well.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I had an 89 with a mostly procomp 4" and 5.29s but with 22RE with a cam and headers and 35s. It was a great set up! You live in Hawaii though, so your junk is automatically waaay cooler!

Attachments

• DSC_0080.JPG
    DSC_0080.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 62

aikane

Observer
Cool truck man. It won't be long and my 03 Taco will be on the yearbook committee as well.

Nah, in my opinion the 1st gen Tacomas will always be the "prom queens". Good power, right size for tight trails, and still kept simple enough. The 2nd gen's have great engines and are very capable stock, but are too big and have too many electronic gizmos that will fail in time.

aikane

Observer
I had an 89 with a mostly procomp 4" and 5.29s but with 22RE with a cam and headers and 35s. It was a great set up! You live in Hawaii though, so your junk is automatically waaay cooler!

Nice truck, I browse CT4wd on occasion, definitely are some nice rigs north of the border. I'll get some wheelin' pics from Hawaii up soon.

aikane

Observer
I took some time off to work on my truck, need to get it "trail-worthy" for the Labor Day weekend.

Started with new leaf spring bushings.
picture055w.jpg

The old ones were really chewed up.
picture002ac.jpg

Replaced brake rotors and calipers.
picture056ji.jpg

Since I was this deep, I took on the CV axles as well.
picture001rx.jpg

Then a package arrived, just in time.
picture003uhe.jpg

5.29's and a Spartan locker.:wings:
picture004dbf.jpg

Just need to bleed the brakes now, phew.....:beer:

aikane

Observer
I tried to bleed the brakes early today, in hopes of taking a 4wd test drive later. But I wasn't getting any fluid at the rear brakes. I had fluid at the proportioning valve, but not at the brakes. I removed the valve and tried blowing compressed air through the ports. Air could pass between supply and bleed ports, and between return and rear brake ports.
I did some research online and found the valve to be a common problem on older trucks. Most replace it with an aftermarket unit. I tried local auto part shops looking for a replacement valve, no luck. I ended up getting 2 couplings to bypass the valve. Hooked up the supply directly to the rear brakes and used the other coupling to plug the return with the bleeder. Still sucked air into the system. So I ended up putting the valve back in and switching the supply and return lines. Finally have working brakes front and back. Only had to bleed the system about 4 times.:Wow1:

aikane

Observer
Took the truck to a local fishing spot to test out the locker and gears. Sorry for the dark pictures, was under the tree canopy at the time.
picture001jr.jpg

picture002sm.jpg

picture003gak.jpg

picture007jn.jpg

picture009vv.jpg

picture008g.jpg

The locker works great and the 5.29's really slow the truck down to almost a "crawl". Overall I'm very pleased with the results. If only I had caught something worth keeping.:ylsmoke:

aikane

Observer
Labor Day 2011 camping trip

I took my nephew camping with his Boy Scouts troop over the long weekend. The location is Kahuku beach, next to South Point on the Big Island of Hawaii. I didn't get any "wheeling" pics because there were about ten vehicles in a row and I was in the middle. Didn't want to stop and hold anyone up.
Here's some shots of the view along the way down to the ocean.
picture001uw.jpg

picture012rl.jpg

picture004kd.jpg

picture011cb.jpg

Hawaiian petroglyphs
picture002sv.jpg

picture003nj.jpg

A collapsed lava tube, now a swimming hole.
picture006ye.jpg

picture007mr.jpg

Parked at a white sand beach often used as a nesting grounds for turtles.
picture014zy.jpg

picture064fv.jpg

picture063l.jpg

picture015es.jpg

picture058l.jpg

picture008mw.jpg

Opihi, a local delicacy that attaches itself to rocks just above the water line. Also two aama crabs, another delicacy.
picture013esd.jpg

All the hard work and money I put into the truck recently really paid of, making wheeling almost effortless.:safari-rig:
Note:some pictures were taken previously on a camping trip to the same location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3