My YJ Overland build

Dagostino480

So after having an xj and a wj I have decided to search for a yj. The search started when my 2007 nissan 350z decided to go up in flames on the freeway due to God knows what. Ended up getting more than what I paid for on the z and was able to pay off my car loan and use the rest to get a 1992 Jeep yj for $4500. The decision to find an older jeep was made because I am 22 and decided, as of last year, to finish my college degree. This meant less hours at work. So being able to diminish a car payment gave me some much needed breathing room! Plus, with having 4 years of experience working as a technician in the automotive industry, I feel more than confident being able to repair this jeep from the ground up. Anyways, more info the jeep!

1992 Jeep wrangler wj
200,000 miles (4.0 i6/ Ax15)
Clean title
NO RUST
Passed smog (Emmission testing) 1st try with way below average numbers
and has room for my 90lbs german shepherd.

------Plans------

OME 2.5 hd lift
31in General Red letters or BFG or Cooper (you get the point haha I am undecided)
Ford 8.8 rear axle (4:10's)
Built Dana 30 from a 4cyl yj in the front
Snorkel
Debating on soft top......

New motor (crate motor or rebuild with warranty)
tj fender flares
Interior (seats, secure center console for cb and stereo, compressor, ect.)
new paint

I basically want to make this jeep new again so every bushing, bearing, and accessory will be removed, cleaned, inspected, and painted

Goal for the final product is a very reliable overland vehicle that can hold myself, my girl, and my dog. I do not plan on sleeping in or on it. I want to use this vehicle to get me to trailheads so I can take my backpacking to a new level.

Heres a couple pictures, stayed tuned!

Let me know if you have any opinions on parts that fit my build style!

and here is one of my old xj

Dagostino480

Will do! I have lots of plans for this build! Plus I have a huge interest in photography and videography so there will be plenty of media content

TrucMan

Adventurer
Looks like a good start! I'm looking forward to watching. I'm hoping to get me a YJ here shortly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thewas4x

Yep, YJ's have a rugged, simple, basic, reliable Jeep appeal that the newer comfy ones lack. Have had a couple myself. Your planned build is right on, OME suspension with TJ flares (possible trimming depending on desired tire size) is a great set up.

My second favorite update to my last YJ, which was a bit rough and high mileage when I got it, was throwing out the worn out seats and replacing with firm, fresh aftermarket buckets. It went a long way (along with a new steeringwheel and thorough interior cleaning) toward making the Jeep feel newer and cleaner. Also added a lot of comfort on trails and long trips.

Sounds like a great plan.

Just a comment --- 4.10 gears and 31s may be a bit low-geared. I ran my 31s on 3.07s for years, then moved up to the 4.10s when I went to 33s, then put the 35s on and still kept the 4.10s. I have an auto so she still crawls pretty well in 4-low when required.

For an overland rig you could probably stay with the 3.07s, or move up to a 32 or 33 with the 4.10s.

Good luck with the build
Pete

Attachments

• jeepmaine2.jpg
    jeepmaine2.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 31

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online