Neat find on CL

vr4z06gt

my guess is that it was imported into canada and somehow brought into the US. IIRC canada has a 15 year waiting period on imports not originally sold in canada, where the US has a 25 year wait on importing the vehicles. The guy isn't to bright though, if the craigslist posting is legit. The feds will get wind of it, seize it, and eventually crush it. My understanding is that there is little leniency on the vehicles when they are imported illegally.

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Lots of JDM vehicles come through Florida. Very easy registration down here. I have a couple friends with state legal GTR's and Silvia's but none of them are federally legal. It's too big of a risk for me to consider but it's not hard to do. I haven't heard anything recently about feds seizing illegal imports, but it has happened in the past. Most of the times I heard about it was through a shop doing something shady with importation (Motorex with GTRs and some Land Rover shop with Defenders) but I suppose they could come after individuals as well.

nater

Adventurer
I am located in Columbus and very familiar with the 3rd gen 4runner (I just sold my '99 last year) if someone wants it checked out...

flyinbrick

Wow, turbo-diesel with only 107k for $12k? Someone's gonna take it home soon. It even has a spare tire carrier. I don't know if I could deal with a RHD though.

shauniscndn

Adventurer
Canada does have a 15 year import law & we have tons of diesel Surfs for sale around

Vancouver bc craigslist is best source and RIV.ca for our import laws

Toiyabe

Adventurer
Meh, I used to have lots of odd cars come into my shop in VA that were imported by servicemen from Okinawa. Usually Impreza Turbos and the like, but at least one Surf diesel. Registered in VA and everything.

Arktikos

Explorer
What diesel engine would that be? Cool, but I'd prefer one of the N.American gas engines in one of these for half the price.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I read up on the history of the 25yr import thing. Turns out it was the German auto makers threw a big stink back in the late 70's early 80's that their business was being impacted by people importing vehicles from outside the US. They put some money behind it and lobbied the US GOV to set up some restrictions. There were a few lawmakers who didn't like the idea and eventually settled one the 25yrs and older being OK. The black market imported cars thing is a big deal today the FEDS are hunting them down and crushing them big time. This one will be crushed as pointed out post it on Craigs list the Feds will go find it and dig into its history. No legal way to import this machine into the US unless your just passing through on you way some place else on temporary visit visa etc.

lonestrom

Adventurer
I had s Samurai pickup truck that was brought in from Japan via Hawaii .I could not get it legal no matter what I did so I sold it to a friend in S Dakota and he licenced it some how and still has it,this was 15 years ago.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I heard of a recent crackdown on Land Rovers by the feds. Turns out they were all legal though. Yea, not sure how this one slipped through. Cool truck.
-jorge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob