Need help, fog light wiring!!!!

Rustedrebel09

So I have a 94 sr Monty and I just got some fog lights I have them all mounted and wires routed. I just need to find the hot wire to the headlight switch. Now I'm bad when it comes to wiring so some one please help me out. What wire is it and how do I locate it?

Rustedrebel09

Haha I was in kind of a hurry because it was getting dark and it just hit 34 degrees. Freezing my butt off. I hate not having room in the garage. Any way I just took my test light and probed around and found a hot wire and tapped into it. The thing I'm worried about is that the fog light switch that came with the kit I bought has a indicator light, and since I tapped into a wire that is always hot now the light will always be on. So my next question is do you think that will have enough draw to drain the battery? I'm gonna let it sit for another hour or so and try and start it. Im crossing my fingers

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
The light in the switch will draw your battery down, yes. I presume the switch has three wires going to it? You may be able to swap the connections around on the switch to have the desired function and the light off. There are 6 combinations of connections on a 3 wire switch.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
So I have a 94 sr Monty and I just got some fog lights I have them all mounted and wires routed. I just need to find the hot wire to the headlight switch. Now I'm bad when it comes to wiring so some one please help me out. What wire is it and how do I locate it?
Are you looking for constant on or the hot wire when the lights are switched on? If hot when switched, you can instead draw if directly from the wires at the headlight bulb.

Myself, I prefer to run them independent of the headlights so I run them powered via an energized relay with the relay poser coming directly from the battery. The switch power can then come from any live circuit because energizing the relay draws very little power.

hth.

Rustedrebel09

Thanks. The reason I was in such a hurry was I'm goin on a snow trip tomorrow. So for just a temp setup I used a old toggle switch I had lying around to break the hot wire so it doesn't drain the battery. Hope it all holds up for now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven