need some TECHNICAL HELP !

paul100

Hi, Friends!
Pls. look at these travel campers:
http://www.highrise.com.au/ or
http://www.kimberleykaravans.com/
Question:
what the system rise the roof ? what kind of lift they use?

On the "setup" photoes we can see that a man rotate steel hand ..and the roof rises.
Have any IDEAS? May be anybody have got such kind of camper?

Thanks, Paul
(Pickupclub of Russia)
P.S. start to build such construction

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
The weight of the roof makes it difficult to use a spring-assisted manual system, although such a system would be preferred because of its simplicity. The roof-raising mechanisms I've seen have an electric motor assist for a screw drive or a hydraulic ram.

One challenge in designing a roof-raising system is to keep the posts that guide the roof from jamming when you're on uneven terrain, or if the roof raises more on one side than the other.

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's on example of a manual roof system

The camper from the outside

LandCruiser100topraised.jpg

and from the inside

landcruiser100insidetop.jpg

What looks like a hand crank is visible hanging down. It must use
some sort of ratchet system. You would be unable to make a full
turn of the crank with the roof closed!

Note the nylon straps to keep the roof from rising up too much.

Chip Haven

paul100

Haven, thank you for reply! I think to use 4 rails to avoide warp. what about hand rising system I have several ideas.
The first - is to use chain and several chain wheels (may be bicycle)to encrease the hand power.
The second -is to use rack-and-gear drive.

But of course I don't want to "reinvent a wheel" and as engineer I'm very interested how these Australian companies have realised that problem :)

Paul (Pickupclub of Russia)

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's the system Earthroamer uses to close the tent top of the XV-JP. The electric winch pulls the cable up and over the post in the center of the picture, elevating the sleeping platform until it falls into the closed position.

img_0682_std.jpg

Does anyone know how Earthroamer assists you in pushing the top into its open position? Some sort of torsion bar?

Chip Haven

63tlf8

Observer
paul100 said:
Question: what the system rise the roof ? what kind of lift they use? Thanks, Paul
(Pickupclub of Russia)

Paul,

The Kimberly uses the powerglide system from Warn winches. Essentially it is a wire cable system and electric winch so no manual operation. Probably quite sturdy but I have been told of failures in other brands using a different wire system (not Kimberly) where a wire breaks. So for your preferences it is probably not a good choice.

I'm still checking the highrise system with no luck so far. Now I have the answer, the elevating mechanism operates by wires. So, in both cases their solution has been to use wires, one manually ans one electrically. As they have both done quite a bit of research into this there may be some value in following the use of wire through for your solution.

Tony

Last edited:

Keithh28

Earthroamer

Here's the system Earthroamer uses to close the tent top of the XV-JP. The electric winch pulls the cable up and over the post in the center of the picture, elevating the sleeping platform until it falls into the closed position.

img_0682_std.jpg

Does anyone know how Earthroamer assists you in pushing the top into its open position? Some sort of torsion bar?

Chip Haven

Chip, I was fascinated by the Earthroamer LoftTop system for a long time. You have to look at the photo's closely, but you'll see that the lofttop is actually opened by some type of strut (spring or gas?) pushing on that large aluminum round tube. It's on the right side, running from about halfway up the aluminum hoop to behind the countertop.

Once the lid is opened past 90 degrees, gravity takes over to open the top. The winch doesn't open the lid, it actually pulls it closed, or allows it to open by reversing. Ingenious design. If you were to cut the winch cable, the lid would actually pop open without the exterior latches that keep it closed.

Keith

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy