Need you to help me decide, which vehicle to buy for overland adventure for 1+year

Lifeonwheels

I really need you to help me decide between the following vehicles for an overland adventure that I'm planning for next year, I will be spending at least 1 year traveling the most as I can, now if one of you have a better option please let me know, I'm looking for reliable vehicle, easy to find spare parts everywhere, confort and capabilities. I will start from south america in Argentina all the way up to Alaska, the who knows... I anticipate mods such us suspension, larger tires, rooftop tent, snorkel, the usual for this kind of purpose, These are my options Toyota UZJ100 2004, Toyota 4Runner 4th generation 2008, Jeep Rubicon 4doors 2012, Nissan Patrol Y61 2010. Thanks! I really appreciate it.

boxcar1

boxcar1
This decision all depends on the type of adventure driving you envision.
If you plan to truly go OFF ROAD during this adventure then you will need a truly capable rig.
The only rig you have listed that right out of the box fits the bill is the Jeep.
Both Toyotas ( while nice rigs ) are basically luxury SUV's . They can be modified ( at a rather high cost ) to qualify as an all terrain adventure rig , but are not in stock format.
The Nissan Patrol ( I am a huge Nissan Fan ) will be hard to source parts for in the USA . And is again basically a luxury car.
The Jeep Rubicon 4doors 2012 ( While having some faults ) is designed specifically as an adventure rig . It is very capable off road and on road. Parts availability ( OEM and aftermarket ) is second to none world wide .
This is a fairly simple decision , buy the Jeep. Just make damn sure you buy a stock, and I mean bone stock Jeep. Mod it yourself after much research.
Many of the things done to Jeep and other expedition type rigs to make them more capable do exactly the opposite.
Don't lift it unless you find that you must. Most lift kits for this rig add to the instability on road.
Don't run to large of a tire on the rig. Most if not all of the terrain you will be driving can be conquered running a stock height good quality mud terrain tire on this rig.( if you have the skills required )
I'd place most of my focus on recovery gear rather than mods to the rigs suspension and or power plant.
A good winch , high lift jack , snatch block , tire mats , tow straps and body armor will serve you far better than big tires and a lift kit.
Just my advice , not trying to start a huge debate here. I have been 40 years in this industry. Take it or leave it.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I disagree that the 100-series Cruisah and 4th-gen 4runner aren't all-terrain adventure rigs in stock form!

I recommend trying them all out (I guess the Patrol could be trickier) and seeing which one you see yourself taking.

boxcar1

boxcar1
You can disagree all you'd like. It is after all your god given right.
I speak only from experience as a builder and driver of off road vehicles.
I have also traveled the (quote ) roads of South America and Alaska.
The Toyota's listed are both leather and plastic raped software dependent luxury cars that just happen to have a front diff and a T-case.
They suffer from lack of ground clearance , week suspension , and an overemphasis on doodads that offer no advantage in the rough.
Now if we were discussing a First generation 4 Runner or Land Cruiser my opinion would be farrrrrrrr different.

Lifeonwheels

Boxcar1 I really appreciate your response, I already have a quick trip in south america to the desert in a Jeep rubicon and it was fantastic, the only issue that made me think about a "luxury type SUV" was the confort as it was a big of a deal while traveling in the jeep, I did almost 3000 miles in the rubicon and at the end of the trip I felt a bit hit by the jeep as it's rough and tumble nature results in driver and passenger fatigue. Now, I am traveling with my wife and not my buddies this time and I know for sure we are going to be more on the road and unpaved roads more than in off-road terrain or rock crawling situations. To be honest with you I was kind towards the UZJ100 for the space and confort, I already owned one (99 model) and it is great as well for travel purpose. I was planning to install rear diff-lock, OME HD suspension, new shocks and 295/75 R16 BFG ATs, as well to ARB front and rear bumper with recovery gear. But this is a huge thing for me as I will spend probably a couple of years traveling around the globe if everything works out. I give you thumbs up and I really appreciate your and everyone response, as I need to make the correct decision, the other part that worries me about is reliability, I will probably find spare parts in the america but what about other continents, just bare with me I am trying to think for the long run, I really want this to happen and make the most of it.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I can't comment on any vehicle specifically but I have some information from many travels in Africa and conversations with other long term travellers.
1. Buy a vehicle that is as basic as possible. Last thing you want is your car alarm system making you stranded in the middle of no where..
2. Leave your vehicle as much stock as possible. Imagine trying to find an exotic tire size, suspension part in a small village in south america.
3. Make it "blend" in. You don't want to stand out as the "rich" tourist and attract the wrong people.
4. Keep it light. For self recovery....

Have fun!

Lifeonwheels

Victorian you are totally right, even though you can find a toyota 100 series under 30k it probably will stand out there. This is a great forum I hope to find the best possible vehicle with all your help, thanks

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I'd take the rubicon. Box stock probably the most capable vehicle and drivetrain rugged of the group. No significant mods required really. The only thing I'd change re your plan is to dump the idea of a rtt. On a year long trip I'd imagine there are going to be plenty of stops where you will base in one spot, and spend time exploring around the local area. A tent mounted to the top of what is essentially your daily driver as well as your hotel sucks. Putting up and breaking down every day blows when you're coming back to the same base camp every day. I'd use a trailer and mount to that. And it doesn't have to be some mega-buck off road trailer. Set up your camp and take off exploring at your whim, leaving camp behind.

The potential downside is security. You're leaving it behind when you go exploring. Of course if I were in an area I was sincerely worried about security I'd probably also be worried about safety, and not likely to hang about in the first place.

Points to consider.

boxcar1

boxcar1
I can't comment on any vehicle specifically but I have some information from many travels in Africa and conversations with other long term travellers.
1. Buy a vehicle that is as basic as possible. Last thing you want is your car alarm system making you stranded in the middle of no where..
2. Leave your vehicle as much stock as possible. Imagine trying to find an exotic tire size, suspension part in a small village in south america.
3. Make it "blend" in. You don't want to stand out as the "rich" tourist and attract the wrong people.
4. Keep it light. For self recovery....

I couldn't agree more.
By the way , this is a rather good description of the Jeep.

Remember : all of the luxury in the world goes right out the window when stuck in knee deep mud.

Ask yourself :How long do you think the interior of a Luxury SUV will last covered in mud.

I was planning to install rear diff-lock, OME HD suspension, new shocks and 295/75 R16 BFG ATs, as well to ARB front and rear bumper with recovery gear

All pretty standard stuff on the trail rated Rubicon .....

Rider192

Observer
I've run stock and modified Toyotas and Jeeps. I would suggest to you to stay as close to stock as possible. Find a sturdy (and light, tube over plated) option to mount a quality winch. Quality skids and sliders over big lift and big tires if you plan on going off the gravel roads. Lifts fail too and big tires wear components(ball joints, brakes etc) and kill mpg. Keep additional weight in the forefront of your mind. Try to keep stuff off the roof. Find a vehicle you can sleep in if weather requires it. Lay out all your stuff, and pitch half of it. You don't need that fancy cooking set. My last Jeep was a little overboard.

justbecause

perpetually lost
there isnt a thing made by jeep (or Chrysler in general) i would consider if reliability was a factor.

you will be basically SOL on patrol parts in the states.

have you considered an xterra, frontier, or titan? their frames are better than their toyota counterparts, front ends have limited flex in stock form, but for the price difference over toyota you can get new upper control arms and still have money in the bank.

94toy22re

Observer
How are you planning on getting a Nissan Patrol into the United States? Have you looked at the Lexus GX470 pretty much identical to the 4th 4Runner but it shares the same body as a Toyota Prado!

Last edited:

ElkinsEric

Observer
How tall are you and your wife?

If you take out the rear seat of an Lj Rubicon could the two of you sleep comfortably in the back?

The benefit of the Lj (Tj Unlimited) is that they use a lot of the same axle parts of an Xj Cherokee. Everything from the knuckles out is pretty much the same and can be sourced along the side of the road in the US. I assume parts would be easy to find in SA too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk