Needing help with building power distribution center - know NOTHING about electric

capodecina

OK, I need a bit of hand holding and maybe some pointing in the direction of the correct threads.

I have an M101A2 trailer and it's going to need some zappy go juice magic to power some additional LED lighting, a refrigerator, 4 lift actuators, an air compressor, and other miscellaneous small items (phone/computer/etc). Not all at once, and not all the time, save for the refrigerator. The ability to run hand held power tools such as an angle grinder or a drill would be great as well. Camping trips are little more than weekend excursions for now, but there is always the possibility of needing independant power for longer. Especially if my girlfriend ever finds out how much this trailer project of mine is actually costing. So, maybe significantly longer.

I know nothing about electric, other than that's what they will use to power the AED needed to restart my heart when I hook things up incorrectly and get knocked on my ***. I have read a few of the different threads on setups until my brain hurt, but really, this is explaining rocket surgery to a cave man.

So let's start out basic and realize that it took me a bit of trial and error to change out the bulbs from 24v to 12v and wire a licence plate. This is NOT my strong point, and I may end up having someone do it for me in the end. Which completely misses the point of a DIY trailer build. I want to do it to learn.

OK, so here is what I have:

A heavy duty plastic weatherproof/waterproof sealable military foot locker that I think would make a great tongue box for electronics - fits on the front right between the parking brakes. (http://www.pelican.com/us/en/pro/pr...on-cases/mobile-office/footlocker/472-FTLK-1/)

A 12v deep cycle marine battery, brand new, just bought it over the weekend

A 2500w power inverter with two 3ft 2ga power cables

Thats it. A power source, a power inverter, and a box to put it in.

Obviously I will need a way to recharge the battery. I would like solar eventually, but that might be a bridge too far right now as far as knowledge and money is concerned. Short of solar, do I need to run power from the tow vehicle to recharge the battery?

My tow vehicle is a 2012 FJ Cruiser with a 4 pin connector. I have used an adapter in order to utilize the original 12 pin NATO power wire and kept the original trailer wiring. I have tapped into the tail light wire to get power for the licence plate light, and that's it.

OK, so that's all I have. What else do I need? I know there is a bit that I need to get together before I even attempt to put in my first wire, but I really have no idea how to do this. Baby steps and keep it simple please. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kdj

Observer
Check out tnttt.com there is a great wiring section. Lots of diagram and helpful people. Don't let be intimidating.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
thank you, that looks like an excellent source for a lot of things I haven't even thought of yet.

Read it, get a basic understanding of it and if you still don't have the knowledge or skill set to do what you need done - don't be afraid to shell out for a qualified person to do it the right way. I understand power, don't want anything to do with it. I've seen too many vehicles destroyed or damaged due to electrical modifications. Watched a 200k offshore fishing boat burn and sink last summer because the owner didn't want to pay a stereo shop $500 to install his amps, speakers and lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh