New Caribou Quick Fasten Cargo Box & Case System

CaribouCargo

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hello Everyone,

We just signed up as a sponsor of this Storage Solutions forum and would like to introduce our new Caribou Quick Fasten Cargo Box & Case products.

Caribou Quick Fasten Cargo Box Systems™ provide tough, waterproof, secure quick attach & release storage for Jeep, Truck, SUV, Trailer, RV, Boat and many other platforms. No more unsecure straps, troublesome stretch cords, and bolted-in metal boxes that reduce cargo space versatility. Our YouTube video is here... http://www.youtube.com/user/cariboucases#p/a/u/1/O0eioiX3umc

First, a bit about the boxes & cases we use. Caribou Cargo Boxes and Cases (manufactured by Pelican & others) are made from a super-tough copolymer plastic – they will not crack and shatter like hard plastic and will not dent, rust and leak like metal boxes. Meeting stringent MIL-Specs for impact, chemical/UV resistance, and water-proofness, they are relatively light-weight for their size but built to take military-style abuse, and they are covered by the manufacturer's lifetime guarantee. Here are the details...

Offered in eight sizes from 1538 cu-in to 7308 cu-in. Many models are equipped with wheels and pull handles for easy transport, and optional internal foam is available.
844545866_KLX5p-M.jpg

Weatherproof NEMA-4 rated keyed locks are integrated into the cargo box and case lids for security, and a rubber o-ring seals the lid for complete waterproof storage. An automatic pressure valve regulates internal pressure when changing altitudes.
844545849_LM7xM-S.jpg

Now about our new Quick Fasten System. Caribou QFS™ allows Cargo Boxes & Cases to be securely attached and removed from the vehicle in seconds. The unique Caribou QFS™ patent pending device provides theft resistance while you're away from the vehicle and unsurpassed convenience when you arrive at camp, work site, or anytime you need to free-up space in the vehicle's cargo area. A simple quarter-turn of 2 fasteners and you can lift-off the box or case.
844549704_H7GLn-M.jpg

844547922_YEHXt-M.jpg

Several styles of Caribou QFS™ are offered including a version for Yakima and Thule racks. You have a choice of external-to-the-case fasteners or internal-to-the-case fasteners. Optional coated steel channel rails in lengths ranging from 18" to 40" make installation a breeze by requiring only 4 holes and mounting points, and you can position the box or case anywhere along the rails. Caribou QFS™ is also offered separately as DIY kits for securing ammo cans, drawer systems, and other projects. Basically, you can customize the cargo box and fastening system to your exact needs. This is a very flexible system. Here are some examples...

7300 Series Box with External Quick Fasten & Rails On Yakima Rack:
Here we have the 7300 Box with the External Quick Fasten System and our 40" coated steel channel rails designed for Yakima racks. A special security key required to turn the front fasteners, and you pull the case forward to disengage the rear forks from the flange bushings on the bases.
844547931_q6c68-M.jpg

2100 Series Case Internal Quick Fasten Version with Rails On Yakima Rack:
Here we have a 2100 case with the Internal Quick Fasten System and our rails on a Yakima rack. Pel-Locators™ under the case provide easy “No-Sight” alignment of the case with the fastener bases, and increase shear strength (scroll down to learn more about Pel-Locators™). A key lock is integrated into the case lid, so when the lid is locked shut the fastener is not accessible and you have security.
844547984_uCWov-M.jpg

5500 Series Box with External Quick Fasten System™ In Truck Bed:
Here we have the External QFS™ Bases bolted to the bed of the truck. No rails were used for a low profile.
844551592_ot6br-M.jpg

2100 Series Internal Quick Fasten Version In Truck Bed Vertical:
Here we have the 2100 case mounted vertically with the Internal Quick Fasten System and our coated steel channel rails.
844551887_WummV-M.jpg

Pel-Locators™
We offer 4-Packs of Pel-Locators™ that when screwed down to a cargo deck will keep Pelican cases from sliding around and enable only one strap to be used to tie-down the case. The Pel-Locator™ is designed to closely fit the oval lugs on the bottom of several Pelican cases (1520, 1550, 1600).
844567689_rLyF8-M.jpg

844567701_8VfnJ-M.jpg

Cargo Box Sizes & Specifications:
Name (Approx cu-in) Dimensions Int/Ext - Empty Weight- Wheels/Handle
1500 Series 17.87”x12.75”x6.75”/19.12”x15.44”x7.56” - 8lb- No
2100 Series 18.93”x14.44”x7.75”/20.69”x17.18”x8.56” -10.5lb -No
2200 Series 19”x14.25”x8”/21”x16.75”x9.75” -13lb - Yes
2400 Series 20.50”x15.50”x7.50”/21.75”x17.75”x8” -9lb -No
2900 Series 21.75”x16.81”x7.88”/24.25”x19.44”x8.69” -13lb -No
3200 Series 20.50”x15.50”x10”/22”x17.5”x11.5” -13.2lb -Yes
5500 Series 23”x17”x14”/25”x19.5”x15.75” -21lb -Yes
7300 Series 29”x18”x14”/31”x20.5”x15.75” -23lb -Yes

Specifications Per Single Fastener: - Regular - Heavy Duty
Max. Working Tensile Strength - 120lbs (530 N) - 560lbs (2400 N)
Average Ultimate Strength - 500lbs (2220 N) - 1000lbs (4450 N)
Max. Working Shear Strength - 700lbs (3110 N) - 1250lbs (5560 N)
Receptacle Pull-Out Force T-6 Aluminum Base- 336lbs (1494 N) - 336lbs (1494 N)

Over the next few months we'll instroduce a few new variations to our Quick Fasten System including one that will fasten fridges and an aircraft track compatible system.

Caribou has been offering modified Pelican cases as part of our Caribou Motorcycle Luggage for several years and performance has been outstanding where crashes on rough terrain are common. This legendary toughness will serve Jeep, Truck, SUV, Off-Road and Commercial Vehicle customers equally as well and surpass any cargo box system available today in features, function and price. Other industries that may benefit from the use of Caribou QFS™ products include Air/Rail/Truck Cargo Systems, Specialty Vehicle, Aerospace, Construction, Electronic Enclosures, Military, Fire & Rescue, Law Enforcement, Boat, RV, Trailers, Motorcycles and more.

Please email roger@cariboucases.com or call 303-786-8947. Dealers welcome to apply. Please also visit our sister web sites www.cariboufasten.com for Quick Fasten System™ products, and www.cariboucases.com for Motorcycle Luggage products .

This is a new way of looking at how to store and secure your gear to your vehicle. Some action photos for you....
1037523430_oi2uD-S.jpg

1037523950_UrEiX-S.jpg

1037522378_3PPPQ-S.jpg

1037522993_xPEpf-S.jpg

Thank you.

-roger

Last edited:

CaribouCargo

Here are a few more photos of boxes and cases fastened and un-fastened from the vehicle...

2100 Series on and off our rails and Yakima racks, a sealing washer is used on the fastener stud to maintain waterproofness....
844547984_uCWov-M.jpg

844549564_QNA5T-M.jpg

844549625_2HHDA-M.jpg

5500 Series on and off truck bed, no rails used...
844551592_ot6br-M.jpg

844551694_QJKEv-M.jpg

2100 Series with Pel-Locators on and off...
844567701_8VfnJ-M.jpg

844567689_rLyF8-M.jpg

A large selection of DIY solutions for fastening just about anything down to a cargo area, rail, etc.. Patent Pending.
844569797_RPyWG-M.jpg

-roger

Last edited:

CaribouCargo

Welcome to the board. You're right across town from my office!

Thank you! Give is a ring or email heads-up if you want to visit the shop and see the new stuff. And, someone local with a late model Jeep Wrangler would get a great deal as we need to show a Jeep application.

-rog

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Very neat stuff. I was able to play around with them at the Easter Jeep Safari vendor show, nice products and a very innovative mounting solution. Well done!

gophere

Adventurer
Very nice looking product. Wondering if the cylinder locks on more than one case can be keyed the same? and can they be mounted with the hardwear one box ontop of another?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
In playing with these at the Overland Expo I noticed the latches would be much easier for a disabled person with limited grip strength to deal with. Unlike Pelican cases which can be tough on finger tips, these were easy to open.

I am looking forward to a chance to play with them for and do a full Disabled Explorers Review.

CaribouCargo

Very nice looking product. Wondering if the cylinder locks on more than one case can be keyed the same? and can they be mounted with the hardwear one box ontop of another?

Yes multiple cases may be keyed the same, and yes you may fasten cases stacked together by fastening the QFS base to the lid of the bottom box (using the internal-to-the-case version of QFS).

Also, there is a 3rd version of our QFS product that will secure cases other than the ones we offer. We used 3 QFS assemblies in this example, but you could go with 4, 2 or just one depending on how strong you want to make it. Here is how I used this 3rd version of QFS to attach a small Pelican case to a cargo plate on the back of my motorcycle. Note how the thickness of the case bottom is taken out of the equation so only one fastener stud length is needed for any application...
845319705_2xVU2-M.jpg

845319751_veX8f-M.jpg

845320079_NuXDE-M.jpg

845319763_yXD7e-M.jpg

845320053_GeoQR-M.jpg

So you can see we actually have 3 versions of QFS. The external-to-the-box/case version with the L-Bracket, the internal-to-the-box/case version where the fastener stud with sealing washer goes down through a hole in the bottom of our cases & boxes that we offer, and the internal-to-the-case version shown above that will work with any box/case and any case bottom thickness (wood boxes, ammo cans, Zarges, etc.).

-rog

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
These look genious, nice work. Somewhere down the line, I would really like to pick some up.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
very nice.

This seems like a very flexible, smart system.

One observation...The attachment studs, the ones that need a key to be removed, seem a bit miniscule for use with the larger cases. how many are required for the 7300?

Seems to me that 4 wouldn't be enough if it was full of tools, etc. I'd hate to hit a rut, and have my toolchest go flying off my roof rack due to those bits shearing. I'd probably prefer to use the pelican locator pads, with the single strap for that application, honestly.

Have y'all done much rough road testing? Any vehicle rollover situations, where strength/damage was assessed? I don't plan on rolling, and honestly, and would have greater things to deal with likely, but was just wondering...

thanks so much. Again, very interesting product. I like it!

-Brian

P.S. Do you have any rack specific solutions (bajarack, inti, arb, etc...) that could be shown in pictures? I'd love to be able to load say 6 medium/large sized boxes into a bajarack, and know that when I removed them, that there would be absolutely no attachment points protruding, so I could use it for other odd-sized objects without damage.

Would make camping very easy for us if we could keep our gear loaded and then just lock it on and go.

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I see a lot of interesting aspects to these solutions and a lot of merit. I anticipate some difficulty in reaching up on top of a rack on a lifted vehicle to get at this type of fastener and turn the key.
844545892_sLeCB-M.jpg

Maybe offer a bit that will fit into a ratchet wrench for a little more reach?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader

thats a good point, and a good idea.

I'll likely have rock sliders to stand on, to get at my gear, but it'd be nice to be able to put an extension on a socket to get between two boxes for sure.

CaribouCargo

very nice.

This seems like a very flexible, smart system.

One observation...The attachment studs, the ones that need a key to be removed, seem a bit miniscule for use with the larger cases. how many are required for the 7300?

Seems to me that 4 wouldn't be enough if it was full of tools, etc. I'd hate to hit a rut, and have my toolchest go flying off my roof rack due to those bits shearing. I'd probably prefer to use the pelican locator pads, with the single strap for that application, honestly.

Have y'all done much rough road testing? Any vehicle rollover situations, where strength/damage was assessed? I don't plan on rolling, and honestly, and would have greater things to deal with likely, but was just wondering...

thanks so much. Again, very interesting product. I like it!

-Brian

P.S. Do you have any rack specific solutions (bajarack, inti, arb, etc...) that could be shown in pictures? I'd love to be able to load say 6 medium/large sized boxes into a bajarack, and know that when I removed them, that there would be absolutely no attachment points protruding, so I could use it for other odd-sized objects without damage.

Would make camping very easy for us if we could keep our gear loaded and then just lock it on and go.

Excellent question on the stregth of the fasteners Brian. I should have included this in the introduction, so here are the specs per fastener. There are two sizes, regular for the smaller cases (1500 series thru 3200 series) and heavy duty for the larger cases (5500 & 7300 series):

Specifications Per Single Fastener: Regular - Heavy Duty
Max. Working Tensile Strength: 120lbs (530 N) - 560lbs (2400 N)
Average Ultimate Strength 500lbs (2220 N) - 1000lbs (4450 N)
Max. Working Shear Strength 700lbs (3110 N) - 1250lbs (5560 N)
Receptacle Pull-Out Force T-6 Aluminum Base 336lbs (1494 N) - 336lbs (1494 N)

Testing was done with my Toyota T-100 4x4 truck with stiff suspension. We loaded one 60lb bag of concrete in the smaller cases, and two bags (120lb) in the larger cases. Terrain included washboards, deep ruts, rocks, slow and high speed. We also mounted a 2100 series case vertically and ran the same tests. Then we mounted the larger cases on a Yakima rack and did the same tests. No failures and no problems (except for bent tubing and deformed truck bed rails). Then we intentionally weakened the QFS bases to create an easier pull-out force on the fastener receptacle and still no problems. Since this product is very customizeable to each user's requirements you may certainly add more fasteners to the larger cases if you see the need. There are those among us that can break an anvil (you know who you are), and as with our motorcycle luggage products we'll always strive to make the product more crash proof based on field data. Please take a close look at the downloadable documents on our web site here http://cariboucargo.com/?name=Downloads to see some of the things we've done in design to make this system strong.

With regard to racks, I spoke at length with the folks from several manufacturers. With our rail kits included it is very straight forward whether the rack basket has a tubular floor or flat plate (our rails are readily available 1" x 1/2" x 1/8" steel channel). If you don't use the rail kits, it is still straightforward for the flat plate floor type, but the tubular type gets a bit more tricky due to spacing. The lowest profile of the fastener base, not using rails, is 1/8". With rails it is 5/8" high for the regular and 7/8" high for the heavy duty. I hope to eventually have some photos of installs on racks.

Thank you, good questions.

Last edited:

CaribouCargo

I see a lot of interesting aspects to these solutions and a lot of merit. I anticipate some difficulty in reaching up on top of a rack on a lifted vehicle to get at this type of fastener and turn the key.

Good point. We can swap out the key-type fastener stud for one that requires a hex key. Perhaps a bit less secure, but easily actuated. The key has a 3-lobed countour that works pretty easily, probably as easy as a hex key style. Also, we have in design a version that has two fasteners on the front of the box (the side of the vehicle you can access), and two forks on the back side that grab flange bushings. On a roof rack, with the case or box facing the side of the vehicle, it might be hard to access the back side, therefore this new design.

-rog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl