New Industry Standard Winch? (Superwinch EXP Series)

TheSkiingJeep

Alright, so we all know that Warn has pretty much the top line of winches for a while. However, that is changing!

For the purpose of this thread, I'll be comparing the Warn Zeon 12-S Platinum integrated to the Superwinch EXP 12-S Integrated.

Right now this is all preliminary information from official releases and obtained information. I should be getting a EXP 12-S non-integrated(remote mount control box) fairly soon, and then will be doing a full review. Please note, this thread should NOT be considered a review.

The current listed "expected" ship date for the Superwinch EXP series is August 1st.

Alright, so lets start off with durability. The Zeon is rated to IP68, using various seals, while the EXP is fully potted providing an IP69K rating.

Basic specs:

MSRP:
Zeon - 1809.99(Amazon & Jet) & 1879.99(other sites)
EXP - $1481.84(Superwinch website)

Weight:
Zeon - 86lbs(Amazon listed shipping weight. non-official)
EXP - 90lbs(Listed on product page)

Line Length:
Zeon - 80ft Spydura regular synthetic
EXP - 100ft superwinch synthetic

Models available:
Zeon - 8k, 10k, 12k(12k is the information found on this page)
EXP - 8k, 10k, 12k(12k is the information found on this page). 14k and 18k models are expected to be released at SEMA 2017.

LED Task lighting:
Zeon - No
EXP - Yes (Lighting is blue when winch is ready, turns red when overheating or excessive amp draw)

Remote:
Zeon - Wireless remote standard
EXP - Wireless receiver built into winch(the potted electronics make it difficult to add on later without compromising the protection against water), wireless remote is optional

Motor:
Zeon - 12V series wound
EXP - 12V series wound

Geartrain:
Zeon - 3 stage planetary
EXP - 3 stage planetary

Gear Ratio:
Zeon - 162:1
EXP - 154.29:1

Minimum required battery CCA:
Zeon - 650cca
EXP - 450cca

Battery leads:
Zeon - 2 gauge 72"
EXP - 2 gauge 96"

Coating:
Zeon - "flat black powder-coated"
EXP - "Exclusive Chromate Bath Powder Coating"

Drum Diameter/Length:
Zeon - 80mm/229mm
EXP - 63.4mm/218.5mm

Brake:
Zeon - "Automatic mechanical cone"
EXP - "Custom Load Holding Gearbox End" Listed as "relocated brake keeping heat at bay" for synthetic rope

Clutch:
Zeon - "Rotating ring gear"
EXP - "Auto-Engage Twist (patent pending)"

Manufacturing origin:
Zeon - Reported as USA
EXP - Made in brand new USA factory

Bonus features:
Zeon - The Zeon winches may be used both as integrated and non-integrated. To relocate the control box you will require the relocation kit sold separately
EXP - includes 2 built in Picatinny rails for lights, cameras, etc; has 2 accessory power ports for lighting, air compressors, etc. " Since your winch is already wired for significant loads, why not take advantage of all that power? Check out the Superwinch auxiliary fused power ports capable of running lights or air compressors - it’s power where you need it."; Winch and lighting automatically turns off after set period of time.

Line speeds/amp draw:

0lbs:
Zeon -32.9fpm/57amps
EXP - 44fpm/74amps

2000lbs:
Zeon - 15.1fpm/132amps
EXP - 22.5fpm/165amps

4000lbs:
Zeon - 9.9fpm/200amps
EXP - 16.5fpm/230amps

6000lbs:
Zeon - 8.9fpm/261amps
EXP - 13fpm/315amps

8000lbs:
Zeon - 7.8fpm/321amps
EXP - 10.5fpm/380amps

10000lbs:
Zeon - 5.4fpm/381amps
EXP - 8fpm/460amps

12000lbs:
Zeon - 4.5fpm/446amps
EXP - 6fpm/530amps

You can find the official page for the Zeon 12-S here:
https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/ZEON_12-S_Pltnm.jsp

You can find the official page for the Superwinch EXP Series here:
https://superwinch.com/collections/exp-series-expedition-grade-by-superwinch
And the Superwinch EXP 12-S specifically, here:
https://superwinch.com/collections/...ade-by-superwinch/products/superwinch-exp12si

Alright, so this is all of the information I currently have, and I am not willing to do any official form of recommendation or review at this time, but I will be doing a full, extensive review(with lots of pictures), once I have one in my possession. The info is here, you can deduct from it what you will.

GCWJ

The $300 price difference coupled with similar specs piques interest. I'll be watching though it will be eons before I can spring for one.

TheSkiingJeep

Always good to see competition in the marketplace! Thanks for posting this.

It definitely is! I've certainly been excited about this release since I first caught word of it.
The $300 price difference coupled with similar specs piques interest. I'll be watching though it will be eons before I can spring for one.

Definitely, the price difference is a big bonus, especially if you have to mount the control box remotely, because then you're paying extra for the Zeon for their "relocation kit". I'm really happy that on top of all that, the EXP has such faster line speed(almost 50% faster at max weight), and is technically more efficient power wise.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Alright, so we all know that Warn has pretty much the top line of winches for a while.

I dont know if you've been living under a rock, but Warn has been junk for about a decade, save the 8274.

Superwinch has been at this for a long time and puts out a far superior product at a far better price point than any other. However, I'm disappointed by the EXP gimmicks and whizz bangs and much prefer the predecessor Talon 12.5.

Ravenmad

Observer
I don't think WARN is junk. No doubt they have their "low end" line that basically uses technology from about 10 years ago and they are made in China. The ZEON series is made in the USA and is their "latest tech" so they say. Are WARN ZEON winches exspensive??? Yup... No doubt about that. Personally I think they have high level management reasons for the price differences. None the less... Superwinch EXP!!! Well, we will see. All the info is "listed" info, not real world. Heck, I would not believe ANY manufactures online pre sales stated stats. They are a direct competitor, why would they advertise a new line of winches that do not meet or exceed the competition? They will never say " we have this new winch that is almost as good as our competition". Anyways, we will see is what I have to say. Sometimes we get so frustrated with the standard that we want a competitor to be equal or better, and so we look for the weakness in the standard and talk up the competitor. Just saying, it's normal when your frustrated or had a bad experience. Listen, I've absolutely smoked several WARN winches, I also burned up a Superwinch tiger shark 9500, and a T-Max 9000 to the point they both needed new motors. Everything has its limit. In the end, WE WILL SEE...
When it comes to a winch I don't like add on frill ( WARN winch with a compressor also ), damn man, just build a high quality piece of equipment... When a company does that they are just trying to lure people over with add on's instead of performance. I am suspect no doubt, same motor, close to the same ratio and a smaller drum size do not equate to a drastic performance enhancement. If it did, they would not feel the need to add a bunch of extras... Just an opinion... We will see, look forward to a solid review on actual performance numbers of both....

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Warning; Geezer opinions follow...
IMO, folks need to do more than compare specs on paper, or the web. How a winch performs over 20 years or more of use is a fair indicator of what I expect of a winch... BTW most situations are solvable with 2 vehicles and a snatch strap much more quickly and easily than a winch can be deployed, IMO.
IMO; cost is secondary; tried cheaper and higher tech winches but have always gone back to Warn because I want to be the guy on the powered end of the winch.
I also don't want new tech, give me; Simple, Reliable, Strong and proven... because the winch & cable is often exposed to the elements for years between uses (if the vehicle is properly set up and driven) but must work if needed.
I want something that is not susceptible to electronic failure (easily by passable heavy duty relays and contactors not electronic switches) or U-V damage (absolutely NO exposed plastic, especially ropes; my control/relay boxes are mounted under the hood), without any "accessories" like air pumps or wireless remote controls.

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven