New M101A2 ¾ ton trailer

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
So I am working a deal on a M101A2 trailer if everything goes right I should have it Sunday! I have a few questions and was hoping the vast knowledge on this forum will be able to answer them or point me in the right direction. Just so you guys know I will be towing it with my 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited with 37” tires and 5:13 gears.

Ok so my first question is wiring it up so its 12V, the jeep has a 7 pin on it already for my pop-up so can I convert the M101 to use a 7 pin plug?
Would I need to change the bulbs or lights out, or will they be ok?

I think I want to get rid of the pintel hitch and or the surge brakes? I have not towed with ether one so I am looking for input on that.
Should I go with one of the extreme off-road style hitches on the market?

Now the dexter axle, I have heard if I get rid of the military axle and put in a 3500# axles not only can I change the lug pattern to match the jeep but I will cut a lot of weight off the trailer and could get electric brakes. Is it worth it?

I have seen some of the builds on here where people take the bed off the trailer to paint it or what ever, is the bed just bolted on or are welds being cut?

Where is a good place to get parts if I decide to change wiring, hitch that kind of stuff?

Thanks for the help. I am very excited, we love our pop-up but wanted something a little more off-road capable to haul our gear in the back country when we decide to tent camp or maybe get a RTT for the M101.

jronwood

Adventurer
First it should be 12V, Bolted to the frame. I LOVE surge although for four wheeling it might be a pain (backing up). I dunno if your gonna lose that much weight changing axles. If you decide to go electric AND "torsion" style suspension it make make sense as you will loose the sping weight as well. To me the advantage IS the surge, well designed suspension (grease fittings throught, etc...), pintle. The A2 should be 8 bolt Ford/Dodge SAE, 16" rim/tire. If anyone wants a A1 frame with 6 bolt Mitsu bolt pattern I have one here (just putting it out there).....

Find Dexter dealer and get their's they are first rate. I think you can order Dexter thru Redneck trailer online. To really trick it out use "Stub Torsion axles" which are a way to totally emlininate an axle center sticking down anywhere in the middle. I have a few here on Brindle propane haulers, some 8 bolt some 6 bolt. I could check dimension and condition to see if it would work for your application.

http://www.redneck-trailer.com/

If you want to sell the surplus axle, pintel, surge, I would be interested in the parts.

Jronwood

Obrindle6.jpgOBrindle1.jpg

Last edited:

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
I got it!

Well the guy dropped it of today! It is so nice and no rust. I got the sides, bows, the canvas top, two spare tires and the stabilizer foot for the back. The guy had three other ones, and people where stopping and asking him if they were for sale LOL. I guess these are popular! I am happy with the size and over all look of the trailer. First off I need to wire it for a 7 pin so I need to start looking for some information on the net about that, anyone have any tips on this? I want to get some 35 or 37” tires for the trailer but not sure what ones yet something on the cheaper side. Would love to get some Nitto Trail Grapplers for it like the jeep but don’t want to spend that much. I think I am going to ditch the surge brakes and go with some other type of off road style hitch, not sure which one (suggestions?). I need to read the build thread about getting the break parts off the Axle? Read your build thread but don’t remember that detail. The plan is to do a little sanding, paint it Black and Crush to match the Jeep and have a white top made for it at a local awning shop that is identical to the green one I have. Well back to work I suppose but here is a pick of me backing it into the drive way.
m101.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Nice trailer!

I went with an adjustible channel set up
2" ball coupler for the highway and a 3" lunette for the trails.

Both work well and it was a simple conversion.

Keep us posted as you go.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
NO!

Relax everyone LOL the person I bought it from had a few on a trailer he parked in the street and off loaded it and I simply used the ball on my truck to back it into the drive way (about 25 yrds). I don’t plan on moving it till the pintal hitch comes in the mail I ordered from Amazon Sat. Come on guys is that what we think of our fellow Expedition Portal members? :Wow1:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Nothing wrong with useing a lunette with a ball, Just lock it down with some rope!

This is the hitch I went with. It lightened the tongue and is adjustible.
You could adapt an off road to it too.

As for the 7 blade adapter, Look on Steelsoldiers.com for the wire routing.
Just change out the bulbs for 12 volt and you are good to go.

I used a 7 wire pigtail for my trailer ran the loom to a junction box " steel work box"
then ran the wires from there. It works well.

Keep us posted on the build.

Attachments

• 20070531ds__parkway_hitch_0530_450.jpg
    20070531ds__parkway_hitch_0530_450.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC04800.JPG
    DSC04800.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC05286.JPG
    DSC05286.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC05003.JPG
    DSC05003.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 22

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Trailer parts are on the way! I ordered a 7slot round wiring harness and a water proof junction box from Amazon. I may go check out tires today, the two on the trailer are rotted bad and are loosing air fast. Luckily the trailer came with two spares but those tires are not very good ether. They are not rotten but really hard and I don't trust them. The plan is to take the spares down to the tire shop in the truck, have them pull the tires off the rim, price some tires, and take just the rims home to paint prior to having the new tires mounted on them. Im going to have to do some good time management though because the Jeep is still an ongoing project and just ordered my ARB 50qt fridge today too!! I am building a rear storage unit with drawers for the Jeep so things may move slow but it will happen. I think I want to take the military lights off or move them? They seem to be tucked back kind of far. Was thinking of looking at some LED's not sure yet but after the lighting/wiring is done I will be focusing on the hitch and scraping the surge brakes.
Also does everyone know if you place a screwdriver in the hole on the surge brake hitch asembaly it allows the trailer to be backed up with out the surge brakes activating? Did a little reading prior to get the trailer and found that out, worked great for getting it in the driveway.

Such a fun project and enjoy reading all the M101 builds on the forum. :wings:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
One thing I noticed about the Military steel wheels is that they are super heavy.
The GM chrome faced wheels I went with are alot lighter than the Military steels.

I wanted to match my wheels to the truck, but If I did it again I would go with aluminum.

A bolt through the surge body will lock the piston out.
Then backing up and on inclines will be easier.

I like how others recessed the LED lights into the rear cross member of the frame.
I went with a pair of Grotte tail lights and they work great. I moved them to the rear of the frame.

Attachments

• DSC06719.JPG
    DSC06719.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC06642.JPG
    DSC06642.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 5

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
photo-8.JPG

Hope the picture shows up we are using a mac computer now and still trying to figure it out! This is the rim and tire package I went with and its a lot lighter. Its a 285/75R16 yokahama geolander slightly used (80% tread) with two new aluminum rims that was on sale for $75.00 at the tire store! The trailer is sitting on jack stands in the pictures thats why it looks so tall. I wanted to go with bigger tire (35") but these trailers sit so high if you try and add a tire that size your going to up to high and even with my lifted Jeep it would look wrong. Today I plan on cleaning off the brake drum covers and painting them then mounting the rims and tires. (pic was taken just mocked up) I also need to source some LED lights. I like the flush mount ones too but I think I am going to stick with some bolt on ones.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
These new rims are lug centric vs hub centric is that going to be an issue? The rims are bolted up and seem to be good to go? My pintel hitch should be here Sat so I can pull it around a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy